Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
same here,the running gear on the old boat was so bad 12 knots was all she had, the shafts were so bad from sitting it cut into the bottom paint and you could see gelcoat. the new boat was in for 2 months and it was loaded to. I am at the mouth of a river though.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Ronnie next year try that petit zinc coat. It's a spray can and it's ablative, works real good and real easy to put on.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
"One year, with bottom paint whole port side of rudder was covered, stb clean."

Them thar be those dreded port-acules. The barn-acules get pretty bad when you keep the boat in a barn all winter long. :D My boat is getting hauled this week. The person I bought it from didn't paint the bottom this year, and I was too lazy to haul it for the few months it was in. You could feel the rudder drag pulling it to one side like you mentioned. With my luck I'll have the ominous starboard-acules growing on it. They have an extremely tough high density plastic shell that makes removing them the worst of all the acules. :rolleyes: :D

pugsley

Captain
normally where i keep my privateer, there is no growth, just enough fresh water to keep it clean, i just put it on the trailer last week, and there was not 1 square inch on the bottom without a barnacle, but hey i just gained 4 knts.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Were you in the exact same slip as past years, Ronnie?

Roy-c

Commander
We bought our current boat in late August, painted the bottom and ran it from R.I. To Boston where it sat until Jan when it was hauled. There was growth on the Stbd side which faces the sun and none on the port side. I guess the sun does make a difference.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
almost EVERY boat in my yard had tons of barnicles when they hauled.

cb34

Rear Admiral
growth

I've epoxy primed and bottom painting the rudder in the past.
Some years it makes no difference.
This year it was on the skeg over bottom paint also.
Warmer water temps or something in the water, less use of the boat than normal ?
One year, with bottom paint whole port side of rudder was covered, stb clean.
Boat took it's own turns to port when I let go of the wheel at the end of the season.
Port side faced the sun everyday where I tied up.
Ron, how many hrs on boat this year?

finaddict

Lieutenant Commander
Website
stores.ebay.com
Boat Make
Nauset
Ronnie,
I am more North than you in Salem Harbor and had Barnacles like I have never seen. Up until late September the boat was run more than other summers, but the bottom did not appear that way. I had the same as you where the skeg and rudder were covered. Boat did sit alot in October, but now I surely know why I lost some speed and burned more fuel on the last few offshore trips.

tunaless

Ensign
Salem

Was better on mussel growth this year but worst on baracles. I think a lot had to do with the "green" water in the harbor all year due to the sewage leak. i have an outdrive and have to clean it once a month at a minimum, otherwise i think it would be inoperable by fall. It seems like there are different time periods that different organisms "set" on the gear. If you can clean it during that 2 weeks period, saves a lot of work (june on mussles, july on baracles). a $200 lift and powerwash is a pretty good investment. i spend my weekends under the boat cleaning with mask and fins while the kids swim at san dollar cove. just make sure you have a wetsuit, as the amount of sea lice that come off can be staggering in august.

chrisp

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 SeaCraft
Ronny anything metal on my boat was covered this year also,when we were up the back river I never had a barnacle what is different between the two rivers? I only put 100 hours on the boat this year I was thinking it was the lack of use why they were so bad in my case.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Odd there are none on the wheel? Usually they attach at all metal. Good question is your boat docked in a different place? They usually attach to your gear if you are in an area with a lot of fresh water runoff.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

finaddict

Lieutenant Commander
Website
stores.ebay.com
Boat Make
Nauset
Was better on mussel growth this year but worst on baracles. I think a lot had to do with the "green" water in the harbor all year due to the sewage leak. i have an outdrive and have to clean it once a month at a minimum, otherwise i think it would be inoperable by fall. It seems like there are different time periods that different organisms "set" on the gear. If you can clean it during that 2 weeks period, saves a lot of work (june on mussles, july on baracles). a $200 lift and powerwash is a pretty good investment. i spend my weekends under the boat cleaning with mask and fins while the kids swim at san dollar cove. just make sure you have a wetsuit, as the amount of sea lice that come off can be staggering in august.

Tunaless,
I would not blame it on the sewerage leak. That happened in late February and patched up in March. Would have been more Macks in the harbor if it continued to leak.
icon10.gif

Need to do the mid season scrub or haul, Sea lice and other strange creatures are bad......I am a little hairy already, but when I came out from doing a little scrub in August I looked like Sasquash! Kids were lauging there ass off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom