Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Wesmac 42 Scania 1150 HP

jojobee

1st Mate
I hear you on the other manufactures, but the question was about Sisu and not rosborough or Lowell. It's ok to disagree. I'm sure others can chime in on this one. Either way, it's a beautiful hull I have not seen a lot of problems with the coring on these smaller boats.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Gotta disagree with tuna on this one, almost every "Sisu" I have seen has been cored. I know the 4 I have owned have all been cored. With that said, I have never had a soft spot in any of the four hulls. The decks and top are a different story. Most of the issues come from owners not knowing how to mount things.

tunamojo

Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Wesmac 42 Scania 1150 HP

dogtagger

Deckhand
Yeah , I'm just not so sure that's right either.
When the mold was crafted In 1971 most that were pulled from it were solid glass. Now that the Lowell brothers have the mold back they lay them up solid glass also. So unless Royalsboro was pumping out cored boats up there In Canada, to beat the band. I think this statement is false.
Maybe 50% maybe

I worked for Sisu in the late 1980s and all of them were (are) cored with balsa. They were convinced that end grain balsa could not get wet. I own a 1980 outboard 22 and I was careful to remove the core from any holes through the hull below the waterline. Unfortunately I did have some delamination in the cabin where the canopy and hand rails were bolted through.

I have never heard of a solid cored Sisu hull.

dogtagger

Deckhand
Hey Dog, if the Sisu company closed its doors in 88 where did the molds spend all there time till the Lowell bros got a hold of them ?
Thanks for any info

Sorry my bad--I wrote I was there in the late 80s, but it was actually late 70s. I was still in high school and was one of three guys there at the time (beside the owner Marty). I did a lot of glass work and helped with the assembly. It was fun, working there and I ended up working at Bruno and Stillman after high school on the 35 sport boat assembly line for a while.

I have no idea what happened to the molds, except that they went to Canada. My 22 was laid up in 1980 (old style without built in spray rails), and I finished it as a kit. The boat is sitting in my driveway right now waiting for an overhaul (it's third!).

I can't speak to the difference between the Sisu and Webco designs, but the sisu is an older style hull-- the beam is a bit narrow and round bilges so they roll a lot (built down style).

aweigh again

1st Mate
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
were all the 22sisu boats built with balsa core transoms. i own a 83 ,in which i started noticing a slight movement when i raised,or lowered my outboard. well i ended up having it checked out ,and sure enough the balsa in the motor area was found out to be wet ,and compressed.i was told that it was going to fail eventually.i had it rebuilt right then,and there they also said that they never saw balsa used in the transom before.

nickyp

Commodore
Boat Make
20ft dyer
My Sisu 22 Lowell bros built....
They insisted on the lifting rails to help steady her due to the roll!
That is what I am thinking about!
A 22 sisu/lowell with e tec and large console with enclosed head for the wife.
Great looking boat. Those rails help with the roll or just prevent riding up on the keel and flopping over?

dogtagger

Deckhand
Tuna--nice looking boat. How do you like the e-tec? All of the Sisus I'm aware of have two cores of balsa in the transom. Thats one of the things I will want to change. I have to say it's held up for over 30 years.

The old style sisu will get very squirrelly if you get much over 20 knots. My 115 Johnson pushes the boat 29 knots under perfect conditions, but get on another boats wake at that speed and your butt will pucker right up...

Spence

1st Mate
My understanding is that when Sisu went to Canada, it became the Rosborough Sea Skiff, recently purchased and now owned and built by Eastern in Milton NH. Great hulls in any event

aweigh again

1st Mate
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
dogtagger you have a way with words. I read that line about butt puckering and laughed my butt off. mainly because you were right on,when describing the feeling the driver gets, when that boat starts to tip to one side.

Top Bottom