Weed on boat

Fishnjess

Captain
Ridiculous rule in this day and age.
I'd rather have cannabis consumers versus alcohol consumers on the boat any day.
Less noise, less arguing and the like :cool:
I don’t partake personally.
It’s more culture today than reality. But, when the law went into effect in ‘37, Anslinger, melon, and Dow chemical were looking for a way to make poly synthetics and paper more into the main stream. Hemp, not cannabis was a casualty of a few more pressing issues in society.
But, I’m sure if big tobacco could find a way to market it and tax it, legalization would be right around the corner.

ThePartsGuy

Commander
Website
www.merri-maryachtbasin.com
First Name
BILLY
Meanwhile every single add you read on the classifieds reads.........

“Deckhand wanted. Must be sober, clean, have a drivers license, show up .....)
Most classifieds read like the capt is searching for a unicorn

There were boats out there in the hay day of gillnetting that would take the weed off the top as an expense like fuel, ice and food. On a 7-9 days trip we.... I mean they never ran out.

Although you can haul 100 to 120 nets a day offshore sober doesn't mean you should have too! lol

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I’ve watched too many Boat Fail videos... boating is inherently dangerous :). Introducing an impairment like weed or alcohol to the mix just makes boating more dangerous in my opinion. When I’m on a boat I need to trust the other people onboard will make good decisions if something goes bad, so my answer is no.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Forgot to mention.
Addition to the no drugs & the safety speech I tell them I’m not responsible for anything they bring on the boat and try the fly or float.

These same guys smoking weed brought a $1000 drone with them.
Just before they put the hook in the mates hand they tried to fly the drone with intentions of filming the fish coming in (same fish mate was trying to unhook)
The drone went about 50’ up and about 100 yards behind the boat, then straight down to the bottom of Boston harbor :)
I’ve never seen a person get smarter when they are smoking weed

Dslpwr

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove, 13’ Whaler
The Coasties won’t care if you are in State or Federal waters.
As I remember it is zero tolerance and both commercial and recreational In navigable waters. I was a boarding officer in the 80’s and 90’s. Not sure if rules have changed.
I make all my guys drug test to even drive company vehicles. They are all commercial plated. Legally with commercial plates they can’t stop and get a six pack on the way home from work.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
It shouldn't ve about if it is legal or not, it should be about if it is safe or not. If I pay that kind of money, I want to be ON, and ready to take advantage of any chances at good fish that I get.

I went to sea for a living, I like a beer or three. But there is a time and a place. Fish hard, then have a beer on the ride in. On the farm, no drugs or alcohol while we work. On the skiff ride in we will often have a beer. Of course then you have to drive home...

cb34

Rear Admiral
Why cut them off after a 6 pack ? They are already impaired....

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
Depends what they are drinking, tolerance and body mass. I am 6 foot 260lbs. If I drink 6 Bud lights......nothing. If I drink 6 Shipyard XXXX’s.....effing curtains.
I can see why if you are running a charter you would want to allow your paying customers to have a beer or few. Weed...I don’t know. I don’t smoke so I don’t have much experience with it. I would worry about the Capt getting a contact high. Is that really a thing. I don’t know. I do believe the captain and crew should be sober. Guests...as long as they are being safe and not disrespectful let them do what they want inside of the rules you have provided,
I was out on a head boat last winter, out with my crew from the farm for a fun day. We had brought 4 beers for two of us on the ride in. I had a cigar on the ride out, and a kid came by and asked for a lighter. Gave him a light and he proceeded to smoke a whole joint down by himself. He was a GD mess all day stumbling around incoherently. Lost two of his rods over the side, lost his cell phone, even a shoe! No one wants to be around that.

Contact high is a thing, but not outdoors with casual use. You have to try.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Most people now days find weed to be a normal thing. Everywhere else in public people smoke it openly, even in say NH where its still illegal, so basically the law or not, you gotta tell people in big bold letters if you got an issue with it as that stance is the far exception now.

Would be a pretty rare occurrence I partake and generally the stuff just doesn't agree with me well, but I'd say half the fisherman I know smoke the stuff constantly - charter captains even while working, commercial fisherman oh boy if that's all they are doing that's great etc etc

Codcruncher

Commander
Most people now days find weed to be a normal thing. Everywhere else in public people smoke it openly, even in say NH where its still illegal, so basically the law or not, you gotta tell people in big bold letters if you got an issue with it as that stance is the far exception now.

Would be a pretty rare occurrence I partake and generally the stuff just doesn't agree with me well, but I'd say half the fisherman I know smoke the stuff constantly - charter captains even while working, commercial fisherman oh boy if that's all they are doing that's great etc etc
I don't know how the captains get away with it...we are subject to random drug tests....

Top Bottom