Weed on boat

Kailua Kid

Captain
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
As I remember it is zero tolerance and both commercial and recreational In navigable waters. I was a boarding officer in the 80’s and 90’s. Not sure if rules have changed.
I make all my guys drug test to even drive company vehicles. They are all commercial plated. Legally with commercial plates they can’t stop and get a six pack on the way home from work.
Zero tolerance is the rule. I know of cases where the (commercial fishing) vessel was seized just because an item of drug paraphernalia (short length of brass tubing found in engine room parts drawer that tested positive for hashish residue) was found on board. Serious stuff.

I do not allow recreational drugs on my boats. So far, no alcohol on even my pleasure boats, either, but I would likely relent and allow for moderate use by a guest or passenger (never a crew member or deck officer).

In many of the cases I have handled in Alaska and Washington involving injured commercial fishers, drugs were involved. Alcohol only rarely. (The alcohol-related cases seem to be more related to falls off the dock late at night or fights at a nearby bar after delivering the catch.)

A gillnetter I fished alongside at Bristol Bay had a captain who smoked pot every day if it was rough out, to stave off seasickness he said.Not sure whether that remedy gave him the courage on one particularly wild opening to strip buck naked, dive under his disabled boat with a knife in his teeth and cut someone else’s web out of his wheel. His boat was half full of fish and drifting over a shoal, occasionally hitting bottom in the troughs. The water there is the color and consistency of chocolate milk, and under 40 degrees at that time of year (late June). He was under water a full two minutes, then shot up out of the water and over his gunwale with a huge grin and seaweed in his shoulder-length hair. Success! Back underway immediately. Quite a sight from our boat, 50’ away. Nevertheless, I don’t recommend it.

leaky

Vice Admiral
I don't know how the captains get away with it...we are subject to random drug tests....

Doesn't happen very often and I assume when it does its often not actually their piss being analyzed :).. although one person I know had a 2nd chance to give a clean one on his able seamans, so not sure you immediately lose your license for that either.

Codcruncher

Commander
Doesn't happen very often and I assume when it does its often not actually their piss being analyzed :).. although one person I know had a 2nd chance to give a clean one on his able seamans, so not sure you immediately lose your license for that either.
Right..I, personally wouldn't want to roll the dice on it...first one dirty typically results in a suspension pending a clean test after a determined time period...could be subject to a few additional random tests after a dirty one, at least for a couple years...but don't quote me on that..it's been 8 years since I knew someone who had an issue..policy may be different now

leaky

Vice Admiral
Right..I, personally wouldn't want to roll the dice on it...first one dirty typically results in a suspension pending a clean test after a determined time period...could be subject to a few additional random tests after a dirty one, at least for a couple years...but don't quote me on that..it's been 8 years since I knew someone who had an issue..policy may be different now

Ya - for sure what would be good is if the whole Federal government came around on the weed thing. Personally got no dog in the fight but whether a guy smoked weed in the last 30 days isn't even in the ballpark of stuff they ought to be worried about. Stoned with customers, arguably sure, but that isn't what their testing normally screens for.

AJ2020

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Duffy 35
Nearly every very roofer, sheetrock guy, painter and commercial fisherman I know was either a drunk, pill head or a stoner. The captains not so much but the crews....read the ads for sternmen....no drugs is the focus of the ad..

michael tero

Lieutenant
Boat Make
25 DN KELLY
Was a mate on a six -pack trip years back ,guy hands me a chocolate chip cookie on the way out . I think sure i like cookies. About an hour later i realize I'm pretty high , plenty of time in the trenches when it comes to that and more, so no worries, but was pissed. Didn't bait one hook , or take one fish off , let the captain know and proceeded to fish the whole trip , kicked their asses as i remember it. ; ) .

Kailua Kid

Captain
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Nearly every very roofer, sheetrock guy, painter and commercial fisherman I know was either a drunk, pill head or a stoner. The captains not so much but the crews....read the ads for sternmen....no drugs is the focus of the ad..
Off thread, but a kid did that to me in middle school, by dropping LSD in my carton of milk, while his buddy distracted me at the lunch table. It was a Friday. After a trip to the school nurse’s office that afternoon (I thought I was coming down sick) and a weekend to work out what had happened, the following Monday there was a short but decisive fist fight in the lunch room. Fortunately for me, he was only one of two kids at that school smaller than me. Unfortunately for him, I have a warrior’s temper and a father who had been a prize fighter and the Pacific Fleet welter weight champion in the Navy (and he trained his sons both in the art of boxing and of street fighting). Sorry for the self-indulgent reminiscing. Your story triggered me.

leaky

Vice Admiral

Ain't that the truth and I doubt the weed is what they are thinking about when they write those adds. At least one story I have heard about someone actually OD-ing while actually on the freakin boat.

A friend of mine talks about the lobster boats in Maine, maybe during better times than lately. He says you see the nice boats and the guys who are on a < 10 year replacement plan, fishing right next to them with not a single disadvantage in the fishery are these old POS beat to hell boats, and the difference is basically profits going to drug habits.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
I saw a guy OD on a boat out in HI. Not cool. He survived, but what shitshow.

The other thing about lobstering is proving to the bank that you can run a legitimate business. Not everyone can put all the pieces together and those nice boats aren't bought with cash. Banks won't just hand over 0.5M to any Tom, Dick or Harry...

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

slow troller

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
I can tell you guys in 1980 I got my mass coastal lobster permit and fished out of East Gloucester. I was amazed at the booze and drug problem within the commercial fisheries. Whiskey and weed at 5 am was breakfast for a lot of the fleet. Some guys could barely stand up. They would be pukeing loading up bait
and filling the bags. No random tests back then.

leaky

Vice Admiral
I can tell you guys in 1980 I got my mass coastal lobster permit and fished out of East Gloucester. I was amazed at the booze and drug problem within the commercial fisheries. Whiskey and weed at 5 am was breakfast for a lot of the fleet. Some guys could barely stand up. They would be pukeing loading up bait
and filling the bags. No random tests back then.

Those guys don't need one generally, > 200 tons for a commercial fishing boat is my understanding.

Funny how that works - to be essentially an Uber on sunny days in a 22 ft center console in the harbor even, you gotta have a captains license. A full paid crew 100 miles offshore in December & 190 tons, take your 1 hour online boaters course and have at it :)..

IMO something in between would probably make more sense, ie most of the 6 pack boats probably aren't any safer via the license process and it seems like a 100 ton boat with 6 crew ought to have a licensing process involved.

Bern

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Muscle Ridge 28
Sadly, there is a significant amount of hippie lettuce use in the building trades as well; added hassle for me being responsible for peoples' safety and cost control. I've worked with a guy for thirty years with off the charts skill and talent. On and off again weed habit, can't leave him alone when I have expensive components in play.

Door#3

Lieutenant
Even after all of these years I still will get seasick almost every time out unless I do something about it. I find one hit from a sativa based vape pen will keep me from getting sick and impairs me way less than bonine (doesn't work anyway) or scopolamine (works great with hefty side effects).

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
I personally would like to see the federal govt change their stance on weed or at least update testing procedures/requirements. I haven’t smoked in years as I work on tugs with regular testing but I would like to be able to partake. Just think it’s rediculous that I could ruin my career because I smoked a joint on a nice summer night and failed a drug test a few weeks later while completely sober. Id like to think the technology exists to develop a “weed breathalyzer” or something of the sort and that could be the new testing process but it’s not the end of the world as I like my job. I doubt I’ll see any change to this during my career and I’m only 26

Snake8

Commander
Most daily stoners I know are perfectly capable fully functioning members of society. I find it to be a trope that stoners bumble around and act stupid. Most of those people would be stupid and bumble around with or without weed. Honestly its the people who only smoke once in a while that it makes "stupid".

And CC, I couldn't agree more. But perhaps being a bit older than you, when I was in high school (where I was mostly high) I couldnt fathom the idea of weed ever being legal but here we are, so its not out of the realm of possibility! I worked on tugs and hold a license and it always drove me nuts that some of these guys would do coke and booze because they can get away with it, but one puff of a joint on your two week could ruin your career.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Most daily stoners I know are perfectly capable fully functioning members of society. I find it to be a trope that stoners bumble around and act stupid. Most of those people would be stupid and bumble around with or without weed. Honestly its the people who only smoke once in a while that it makes "stupid".

And CC, I couldn't agree more. But perhaps being a bit older than you, when I was in high school (where I was mostly high) I couldnt fathom the idea of weed ever being legal but here we are, so its not out of the realm of possibility! I worked on tugs and hold a license and it always drove me nuts that some of these guys would do coke and booze because they can get away with it, but one puff of a joint on your two week could ruin your career.

I seriously got no issue with weed, hell IMO I don't really understand what any drug is illegal.

With that stated, absolutely the sunrise to sundown users I know, although they absolutely aren't the stereotype stupid stoner, but generally you can tell - lack of memory is the biggest issue I see, always forgetting basic stuff.

And although some people seem genuinely unaffected, I would be far better off operating anything with an engine in it after say 5 drinks in an hour versus 2 hits of the stuff people tend to smoke now days, maybe even 1. I am absolutely impaired to the point I can't think straight after a tiny bit of weed, even my basic motor skills are shady.

Lots of people feel they are completely unaffected, and I do believe for some its true, but my own experience is its definitely not universal.

Codcruncher

Commander

I have owned and operated a residential and light commercial contracting business for 35 years...I have had daily smokers employed from time to time...I can tell you, I don't keep em around long...they're typically dangerous on the job site...forgetting to tie staging off..forgetting proper protocol on working at dangerous heights..to just picking up a stick of lumber and swinging it around and cleaning the guy off the step ladder behind them because they're stoned and forgot he was there...have no use for anyone impaired at any level on any of my job sites....or working on my boat...

Aloop

Commander
MY Opinion: it's up to the capt/owner/ the person that pays for the boat insurance policy, usually all the same guy.
While mating in the past, I watched several guest crack open beers then toss in the trash making for a quick consumption count. By 10am, one guy was reaching for his 4th or 5th beer. I then said, that better be a bottle of water! He accused me of spying on him. My response was, Damn Right! Then I updated the capt whom had words with the customer.

Top Bottom