Weekend Buzzzzzzzz.

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
Twas the night before fishing.........

Leaving 0100. The place is jumping at the Babylon Fishing Station. LuAnne was, as usual, busting her butt getting you everything you needed as well as shoveling ice and dragging it to your boat. Thanks, LuAnne. (sorry I probably spelled your name wrong).

Sounds like perfect weather for the Contender to launch. We are going to run to the Coimbra and try some jigging on some light, but amazingly strong, Jigging Master PE-6 and PE-8's. Used them on the last great BFT bite a few years back and they were awesome. I want to reinforce the experience then, I plan to use my PE-8 on a regular basis. I actually feel it can handle all of the inshore BFT off L.I. so far. My Saltiga 50 on a Black Hole Cape Cod Special from John at Trophy Tackle handled anything easily up to 200#. I was amazed. Mark and I called it the noodle stick until we hooked a 70" fish and whooped him in 20 minutes at 24#'s of drag. Went on to do quite a few after that. The fight was standup and no gimble necessary. Fingers crossed some fish are still cruising the area.

I'm sure the canyon will be a mob scene from what John's gas dock looked like. Good Luck to everyone. Find them, catch most and leave some for us. We plan to sail Sunday/Monday weather permitting.

P.S.: Did anyone notice how pale the meat was on the Bigeye's? Tasted good but I don't think as good as the BFT we have been getting. Still got good money for the quality.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
What did you get per pound for your bigeyes if you don't mind me asking? A local buyer in Gloucester told me he's paying $8 or $9 and I thought that seemed a little low.

Last edited:

greg

Captain
I did notice the meat on our bigeye wasn't a bright red, but it still looked good to me. I think a lot of it depends on how you handle the fish, whether you swim it out before killing it completely, and how hard a fight it put up.

Some people say any begeye or gbft caught on r/r or greenstick is garbage. I must like to eat garbage because that fish was delicious.

I didn't have the heart to sell that fish though. The crew wanted it and it was the first one I got. But dang, $2k is an awfully good reason to sell it out from under them. The whole trip would have been paid for with extra left over. :(

Next one goes to market.

greg

Captain
What did you get per pound for your bigeyes if you don't mind me asking? A local buyer in Gloucester told me he's paying $8 or $9 and I thought that seemed a little low.

I heard of $7 in point judith. Guy only had the one fish though so they may have held back a little.

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
We got $7.00/lb. for most of the fish. Took a little haggling. Mark and I tag teamed the buyer. I gave him my old one, two punch which was rapidly shook off but got him to $6.00 for everything. Mark twisted his arm for an additional buck and he agreed on the $7.00 but would only take our three biggest. We had two smaller fish that the color was too pale for his likings. So young Grasshopper rearned big resson. Get rid of fish fast even at a lower price before scheduling next trip or you eat tunafish sandwiches for rest of month. The last two were sold for a little less and a lot more work. Personally, I felt the fish were not worth the $7.00 and found some of the markets were not overly happy with the lighter color but they were delicious according to some feedback.

As for handling our R&R fish, we are comfortable with handling tuna after many years in the longline business as well as R&R tuna fishing. You don't get a chance to swim or cool down big, trolled fish as you would like. You have to keep trolling when catching 200lb bigeyes as opposed to handling a larger BFT and the gear does not catch unless the lines are in the water. Also, the meat just did not have any dark red color to it. They are paler.

Fortunately, the fish are gone and it will be interesting to see the next batch coming in this weekend and how the market responds.

Last edited:

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
As for today's trip. Beautiful weather and a fast ride to the Coimbra. Forty-two miles in an hour and twenty minutes slowed only by the darkness and the worry of hard things floating in our path. Great if you want an extra hour or two in bed since we left at 0200 but I wish I was on the ELIZABETH/DELIVERANCE. Give me my old bunk back. I need a comfortable Llbroc seat and autopilot. I was cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon and wet on the ride out. Zoom zoom boats are nice but I moved up to a 16 knot world from my longliner doing 10 knots. I thought that was fast. Now, my back is killing me after standing up all day while going the speed of light. I can't imagine camping out in the Canyons on back to back trips in a 30' Contender or fighting and successful landing a pack of bigeyes over outboards while standing in a cockpit the size of a head. Enough bashing of my go fast boat. It does have it's place for something. We only needed one nice, fat BFT for weekend sushi and this rant would have been different.

We trolled, jigged and chunked up a half dozen footballs and tossed them all overboard. These fish couldn't even pull the rigger clips free. Some were planing off behind the spreader bars. I hope the offshore bite was better, it had to be because ours sucked for profit and the Chiropractor bills should go to trip costs when using these rocket ships.

We are taking Saturday off and hope to return to the Hudson Canyon Sunday/Monday in the comfort and safety of Deliverance.

Last edited:

greg

Captain
Hey, it's august. Back to reality for a while I guess. Personally I'd take 4 foot seas if it meant banner trips and no boat traffic.

Usually at this time of year people are lucky to find mahi and the occasional tuna. Hopefully the chunk bite will turn on for september. But of course, crews become scarce as hens teeth once school starts. especially mid-week. ughhh.

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
I didn't have the heart to sell that fish though. The crew wanted it and it was the first one I got. But dang, $2k is an awfully good reason to sell it out from under them. The whole trip would have been paid for with extra left over. :(

Next one goes to market.

I hear ya Greg. This is what we did this past winter in the backyard. Merry Christmas Crew. This fish had a brother who went to Tokyo and fetched the highest price for wild fish that day.

BFT-Crewmeat1.jpg
BFT-Crewmeat2.jpg

We cut the downside for the crew and the top side loins were sold.

BFT-Crewmeat1.jpg

BFT-Crewmeat2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom