Weight and Towing 26 DE

novivin

Captain
Hi Guys,
Man I need help!
I have a 2018 Tundra with 5.7, heavy shock/Bilstein TRD SR Package.
Considering a 26 Seaway Northstar. I like to take my boat from SE MA to Maine Points-
All the way to Lubec... at times.
Not a trailer newbie, my current boat is 22 Novi at 4200 loaded weight on dual axle.
This boat has dual axle Sealion bunk that is 2008 but looks brandy new.
The owner of this boat says 4500 pound weight for his rig with old 225 two stroke Suzuki on a bracket.
Do you guys think I will be disappointed?
Growing family looking to have space and extend range/capabilities. Son that has tuna wish and knows dad did it when he was 20 years younger...
Help Please!!!
Thanks Guys this place is the best!
Can’t wait till the Dorchester party!
Also, plan to repower with Yamaha 200. Should I be concerned about the old bracket? It looks good...
Here is the bracket pic:
1600956938059.jpeg

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
I have a 1988 26 Seaway Center Console that was converted to an I/O and has a custom cuddy cabin with two bunks and head up in the bow. Also have a 2015 Tundra TRD. I only live less than a quarter mile from the ramp that I launch from in Spring and haul out at in a few weeks. The shop that services it is about 2.5 miles away and I tow it over an back but really not any further. IT squats the Tundra pretty good. I ran mine across a truck scale and it weighed in at 8900 lbs with out the trailer so mine seems to be double the weight of what you are looking at so hopefully you will be alright. Thought I took a picture of it on the trailer on the back of the truck but can't find it. Previous owner towed it with a Raptor and it squatted that pretty good as well

Love the boat and perfect for a small family, high gunnels and feels safe. I am trying to sell mine as we just don't use it as much as I would like and I want to go lobstering part tie and this isn't set up for that.

novivin

Captain
I have a 1988 26 Seaway Center Console that was converted to an I/O and has a custom cuddy cabin with two bunks and head up in the bow. Also have a 2015 Tundra TRD. I only live less than a quarter mile from the ramp that I launch from in Spring and haul out at in a few weeks. The shop that services it is about 2.5 miles away and I tow it over an back but really not any further. IT squats the Tundra pretty good. I ran mine across a truck scale and it weighed in at 8900 lbs with out the trailer so mine seems to be double the weight of what you are looking at so hopefully you will be alright. Thought I took a picture of it on the trailer on the back of the truck but can't find it. Previous owner towed it with a Raptor and it squatted that pretty good as well

Love the boat and perfect for a small family, high gunnels and feels safe. I am trying to sell mine as we just don't use it as much as I would like and I want to go lobstering part tie and this isn't set up for that.
Hi Fouraces, Yours is a nice boat!
You mean the whole rig including the truck trailer and boat on the 8900 pounds or just the boat alone?

Mrousseau

Ensign
My Opinion is 3/4 ton truck would be required for what your looking to do. I would also think you will be pulling that bracket off and doing some investigating prior to hanging a new motor on the boat and doing any amount of lengthy trailering.

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I saw the photos of the boat in the ad and it seems to be a fresh water boat from NH. It looks like it is really clean and well cared for. The bracket was designed with very few through bolts. I would think you can add more and go with stainless steel instead of what looks like hot dipped galvanized. I think the boat is going to be heavier than your current boat- but a full sized pick up should pull it to Maine. GLWS

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
Hi Fouraces, Yours is a nice boat!
You mean the whole rig including the truck trailer and boat on the 8900 pounds or just the boat alone?
I am talking the boat alone. My cousins own a moving company so I dove truck with boat on trailer across the scale then launched boat and reweighed truck with empty trailer and diff was about 8900. I have had buddies with 3/4 and 1 tons tow it for me before I got my current truck and they seemed to do ok with the weight but they knew it was there

novivin

Captain
My Opinion is 3/4 ton truck would be required for what your looking to do. I would also think you will be pulling that bracket off and doing some investigating prior to hanging a new motor on the boat and doing any amount of lengthy trailering.
My thoughts exactly. I would want to be investigating the bracket thoroughly

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Was looking at the ad for that seaway today. Looks nice but IMO it’s worth considerably under what they’re asking. Should have a late 2000s outboard for that price. A 200 yammi would be perfect on that like you stated if you can get it for the right number

novivin

Captain
Was looking at the ad for that seaway today. Looks nice but IMO it’s worth considerably under what they’re asking. Should have a late 2000s outboard for that price. A 200 yammi would be perfect on that like you stated if you can get it for the right number
I agree on your price assessment.

Top Bottom