Wesmac super 46

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I think there was something in the National Fisherman about it.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
The National Fisherman article was the first I have heard of a 17'+ beam 46' Wesmac. Is there a reason a fisherman that wanted a boat with 17'+ of beam wouldn't just go with the 50' Wesmac? Shortening the 50' by 4' may not work well because of the keel and prop placement. Usually shortening a hull designed to be a certain length causes very negative performance problems. Building a 50' Wesmac seems like a much easier proposition than widening the 46' by 3'.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Draft maybe, permits? You couldn't make it around here in a 50' Wesmac. There's a guy down here w/ a 46' and sometimes he has a hard time when the water is low. I think their 50 footer draws at least another foot.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Draft maybe, permits? You couldn't make it around here in a 50' Wesmac. There's a guy down here w/ a 46' and sometimes he has a hard time when the water is low. I think their 50 footer draws at least another foot.

Reducing the draft of a 50' would be easy; the only thing that seems logical to me is they want to stay under 50' for permit or regulation reasons. But even at that, shortening the 50' by 12"-18" to get it to a 48.5' or 49' would be an easy modification. I was talking with Steve a month or two ago and he was telling me if a guy wanted a 40' hull, it would be easier and cheaper to shorten the 42' than lengthen the 38'. The 42' Wesmac with about 700hp is my dream boat.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Why a 42, not 46? 55 or 56'' Wesmac would be my dream boat, but maybe not when it comes time to fuel up. Hard to beat what I've got now for efficiency, even w/ the old JT power.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Why a 42, not 46? 55 or 56'' Wesmac would be my dream boat, but maybe not when it comes time to fuel up. Hard to beat what I've got now for efficiency, even w/ the old JT power.

The 42 is really more boat than I need, so stretching to 46 would be a waste of money, but that 4 extra feet would be nice.

morgan1727

Commander
The super 46 is not a plugged 50'.

Was told the 46 super wide started out in the 42 mold. They laid the keel of 42 along with some of the bottom area around the keel, then brought that over to the 50 mold inserted the 42 keel into 50 mold, blocked of 4 ft of transom and brought down the height of gunwales. After this was finished they created a new 46SW mold from this hull.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Was told the 46 super wide started out in the 42 mold. They laid the keel of 42 along with some of the bottom area around the keel, then brought that over to the 50 mold inserted the 42 keel into 50 mold, blocked of 4 ft of transom and brought down the height of gunwales. After this was finished they created a new 46SW mold from this hull.

this answers the question I've had since hearing about the Super 46'....sounds like the running gear will be in the same location as the normal 46'. I am wondering how well this boat runs....I have heard from numerous sources that the 50' won't run any faster than 20kts, the hull is just too big & draws too much. Does the super 46' have the same problem? I'm guessing maybe not since she has the 42's keel?

morgan1727

Commander
I have always wondered between engines is there a big difference in fuel burn if you are pushing the boat at the same speed. I have heard a lot of people say the cat c-18 burns more fuel than other engines. When the 42 Duffy sportfish from Texas, I think the name was Lady Dianna, had the fuel burn #s in the for sale add, I thought that as he dropped his speed from hi cruise to low cruise the mpg would increase, but it didn't seem to have much effect as I remember. In a hull such as the 46SW if you put the FPT 750, Volvo 900, CAT C-18, or Deere 750 and pushed them to the same 16 or 18 knots would there be a difference in fuel burn?

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
I have always wondered between engines is there a big difference in fuel burn if you are pushing the boat at the same speed. I have heard a lot of people say the cat c-18 burns more fuel than other engines. When the 42 Duffy sportfish from Texas, I think the name was Lady Dianna, had the fuel burn #s in the for sale add, I thought that as he dropped his speed from hi cruise to low cruise the mpg would increase, but it didn't seem to have much effect as I remember. In a hull such as the 46SW if you put the FPT 750, Volvo 900, CAT C-18, or Deere 750 and pushed them to the same 16 or 18 knots would there be a difference in fuel burn?

I think that depends on each engine's tourqe curve and the gear and prop used. There are some pretty smart dudes on here that could probably run the numbers and give you a good idea of which engine would be most efficient at a given speed.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
It depends on a lot of things and an important one is displacement as well as LWL which are tied to each other. Once you know these, you can do a lot with gear ratio and propeller matching for the horsepower applied. Reverence is a very well built boat and sits lower in the water than Haulin Ash.

Top Bottom