West Coast Seafarer 21' (intro)

hardydanger

Lieutenant
Hey all.
Just a quick intro to my new 2013 Seaway Seafarer 21'
Currently named Penny Lane, but we might apply to Poseidon and a couple wind gods for a name change :)

Flag Blue
Outfitted with a 160hr Yamaha 115 with a 13.5x15K prop
Lenco tabs
Lewmar windlass
Brightwork for days
Bench Seat
No trailer (melted in one of the wildfires last year)
Comically oversized horn
Four rod holders

Issues:
- Both bilge pump currently inop
- Only seeing about 20knots at WOT about 5000rpm
- not sure what the issue is here, but will be doing a full service on the motor, cleaned the bottom today (which wasn't too bad)....might look for a spun prop....what else?

IMG_1800.jpeg

IMG_1836.jpeg

IMG_1878.jpeg

1618873406617.png

1618873468020.png

1618874436290.png

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Not sure where to start but look around the web to see what prop you should have for the engine. Clean the growth off the boat and make sure fuel filters are clean. Might also see if you can confirm that your tach is really accurate- could be everything is ok but tach has you running slower.

I had the same hull but mine was 04. Had a 150 on it and ran close to 36Kts so would agree that you should see more speed than that. The boat was most comfortable under 20 and in a turn at higher speeds the prop would cavitation badly but I attributed that to the keel ventilating the outboard.

Shark49

Lieutenant Commander
Try rising the engine. I had a 1700 skiff and had similar issue. Brought engine up so cavitation plate was even with Hull. It helped. Make sure you monitor the pisser for a stream.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Try rising the engine. I had a 1700 skiff and had similar issue. Brought engine up so cavitation plate was even with Hull. It helped. Make sure you monitor the pisser for a stream.
I agree- this engine looks too deep in the water. Screenshot 2021-04-25 6.07.46 PM.png

hardydanger

Lieutenant
Forgot to snap a pic, but the AV plate is perfectly inline. It was def the fouled bottom causing the loss of top end.

But I am looking to re prop to reduce cav in turns. Talking to prop gods about that.

I spent last few weekends on the pad polishing and waxing almost every surface and piece of stainless, above and below. Inside the cabin lockers were a bit musty and stale, scrubbed those out good.

cleaned and treated all the canvas and vinyl.

repaired the Bimini mounting screws that had pulled out with really thick gflex and cut glass ropes in the old holes.

new 1000 from pump forward. Rewired aft pump.

tried that “magic ezy 9 second” crack filler on a gel coat scratch. Jury is out on it, BUT the color they called dark blue was more like dark cool grey....so will paint pen that one.

Now. pricing out some bottom paint options.

Going to add a pair of transom eyes.

replace the fuel filters and plugs.

lower unit oil looks clean.

inspected anchor rode and found one of the three strands was cut almost through, it was only 10’ from the stop block so cut that out and spliced the stop block on again. Also added a swivel to the ground tackle.

Rest of motor service is scheduled for about 3-4 weeks from now.

Burned up another cheap Amazon $70 buffer (when will I learn). I’ve bought two in last 4 years....hoping they will be good enough....nope. Not even close. Think it’s time to either get the Makita 7” rotary and or a Flex DA or maybe the Griots G9. Also looking at the Milwaukee 7” 18v 7” buffer, since I have a bunch of batteries.

I’m also trying the turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray as the final coat....seems like good stuff. Went on better than ex

used acetone in the rub rails and they look great. Sealed with the turtle wax spray too.

Inspected the dometic toilet...never been used. So that was a plus.

going to mount boat hook mounts under the port gunwale.

going to add a shelves to the cabinet lockers to make them a bit more functional

There’s some wiring I want to inspect and or replace too.

Been busy!!

clearcan

Lieutenant
First Name
Rob
Boat Make
Starwind 19
Nice! Be sure to post some pictures as you go as well. Always great to see what folks are doing with their boats.

hardydanger

Lieutenant
Just order a RXB4 13.25x13 from Ken at the Prop Gods. Glad I reached to him.

And I know this is a huge controversy, but she's also going to get a new name (which is still TBD as kids vs adults have not aligned yet :) ...but we'll be doing it right with the proper offerings to the gods of wind and sea when we do.

And yes...need to post some pics! This one goes with the theme...getting her cleaned up. Hopefully there will be a new crop of pics this weekend.

1621379264957.png

Top Bottom