West Coast Steering Leverage

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
For those interested in west coast style building !!!

Here ya go !

This boat was built from inside the bare hull up in 1995/1996 and a Cummins 6CTA 400C / ZF302 IV installed in it.

In 2001, the 400C was pulled and a QSM11 & a much bigger v-drive/power train installed.

Dec 07, the boat was re-powered again with a QSM11 610.

The QSM is still in the boat with about 5000 hours on it.. Last year the boat sold to a new owner and over the last year the boat was tricked out California style and upgraded w/ a new NL generator and some other gingerbread..

The boat spent the last 17-18 yrs as a high-end / high tech sea urchin commercial dive boat.. Now it’s a recreational dive boat that can still do some serious work, get the owner anywhere he wants to go even in crap weather at 25 knots. Nice rig!

This boat has a serious big leveage steering out back.
Nothing like this out our way on the east coast!

Must be the 24/7 following seas out of the coast of southern CA.

Raptor-March_2013_(5)[1].jpg

Raptor-March_2013_(4)[1].jpg

Raptor-March_2013_(6)[1].jpg

Raptor-March_2013_(7)[1].jpg

Raptor-March_2013_(8)[1].jpg

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
How about that shaft angle? LOL.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I like everything about it except- the shaft angle, swim platform, exposed/unprotected running gear, shaft strut, airfoil thingy, rudder with no support at the base, lack of a keel and the backwards nuts. Other than that I am all in. The boat will definately get clean water to the wheel, as well as logs and any other debris. Obviously it works out there, I am just not sold on it for out here. Maybe its like Californias budget, just throw some stuff together and hope it works! Looks are not everything but they should count for something.

Lets see............O.J. Simpson, Michael Jackson, Robert Blake, Anna Nicole and Schwarzenegger would you expect it done any different? The sooner it fractures on the state line and falls in the better.

Almost forgot, rolling blackouts. Seriously? WTF

At least it has a Cummins Bill!

Last edited:

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
That is the perfect example of thinking outside the box.:D:D:D

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
them guys in calif smoke to much pot !! they sure think of some goofy shit there !! :rolleyes:

Try fighting a fish around that contraption!

I dont think Virginia L Thorndike will be chasing these west coast boat builders to write another book. Maine Lobsterboats: Virginia Thorndike: 9780892724031: Amazon.com: Books

How about that shaft angle? LOL.

I like everything about it except- the shaft angle, swim platform, exposed/unprotected running gear, shaft strut, airfoil thingy, rudder with no support at the base, lack of a keel and the backwards nuts. Other than that I am all in. The boat will definately get clean water to the wheel, as well as logs and any other debris. Obviously it works out there, I am just not sold on it for out here. Maybe its like Californias budget, just throw some stuff together and hope it works! Looks are not everything but they should count for something.

Lets see............O.J. Simpson, Michael Jackson, Robert Blake, Anna Nicole and Schwarzenegger would you expect it done any different? The sooner it fractures on the state line and falls in the better.

Almost forgot, rolling blackouts. Seriously? WTF

That is the perfect example of thinking outside the box.:D:D:D

I take the time and effort to post these pics of west coast boats as a point of interest for guys who might want to see how boats are built and engineered for the outside of N.E. (Maine)

For sure these west coast boat pics will be the last !!!

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
It looks like a very awkward setup prone to mishaps and downtime.

Do you have any reasoning behind their design that might quell some of the alternate discussion about this example?

It just looks like it was a boat made by some students, who at the end of the project just realized "damn, we forgot to put on something to make it turn, quick - what do we have left in the box?".

I'm not knocking it, because I haven't tried it, but I think it would be akin to bringing a date to the prom so far out there that even the music stops when you bring her past the threshold. Also what leaps to mind, is while taking a walk around of the boat, up on the hard as a prospective customer, you take the turn around to see the transom and you just might hear the tuba sound from the Price is Right when they lose their game when you gaze upon that creation.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
The time and effort is always appreciated Bill and you always have some good stuff to post. I am with Travis on this one as far as not having tried it before but I can tell you this "I for one will not being trying it." While steaming home in the evening and after night fall I have hit logs, 2 basking skarks, thresher shark, 1 whale( came up under my boat off portland ) and a few fish totes. Not to mention the old "what was that noise?" stuff! There is just too much unprotected gear hanging down there for me, especially at 25 kts.

FWIW

Last edited:

pugsley

Captain
what is the reason behind the rudder being behind the boat like that?

everywhere you go people use different style boat, and they work. you can always learn something from different areas.

Cfood

Lieutenant
what is the reason behind the rudder being behind the boat like that?

everywhere you go people use different style boat, and they work. you can always learn something from different areas.
The boat has a remote V drive to improve the shaft angle. A traditional transmission/Shaft would have been at a much higher angle.

I guess i'm in the middle here on west coast v east coast. West Coast guy with a 40' H and H lobster boat. Also had a commercial boat with an outside rudder exactly like the one in Bills pictures. The vast majority of WC boats dont carry the large keels like their EC counterparts.

I see advantages on both Coasts. I love the H and H hull, but hate the engine noise and will never understand how you could mount a 12L JD without engine mounts. And why do two of the fish holds drain into the engine bilge? Day bunk in the house but nowhere to sit.....Just saying that i see biases, good and bad, in both.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
I believe it's all about "steering leverage".

The west boats I post are all commercial boats and BIG money makers.

Aesthetics aside, the west coast boats earn tons of $dough$ and most ALL look different than our east coast (Maine) designs.

Must be something about those boats that "work" !!!

I agree with the noise issue in our east coast designs. Big engines under the feet of the helm cabin passengers.

This boat like most ALL the other west coast boats I post (Seaboard built or re-powered) has stern mounted engines with remote v drives.

Noise reduction and ease of engine room access is key in these boats.

Must work, owners go back for "more" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
The more I look at that broadside photo, the more i wonder why the hell they would even need a damn v drive since the cabin is so short. It's like the engine's so friggin' far back w/ a v drive it forces the rudder father back off the boat. It's interesting to look at; keep posting. I wish my rudders were a little farther aft on the DMR, but nothing like that....

Definitely a different world out there. Harbors are chock full of fugly boats. I do like the salmon and albacore trollers though. Talk about efficient, but they don't ever get up and run on the water.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom