"West Coast" style windshield - pros and cons - got pictures?

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
I like a 24 degree forward rake on this particular hull...this is an old sketch powderpro did...I just figured the rake [email protected], I agree with "too flat "...I feel from the center point of the 2 windows where they come together, the outside window edge should be pulled aft to follow the approximate curvature of the roof line forward....creates a compound angle, but IMHO looks better...3 windows,,same thing, flankers pulled aft to follow roof line curvature...Jmho

View attachment 104077
agree! But I also think the rake and overall look needs a crown to the pilothouse roof and an appropriate visor to make it work...

Codcruncher

Commander

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I should have asked earlier, instead of just gawking. What are you thinking or planning for power?
Depends on the hull... if a 25'x8'6" I would go single 300-350 duoprop Suzuki, or 300 Yamaha. If I go with the 26 Duffy or Lowell, then I will go with at least twin 175's or 200's. The boat is being built to sell, and from what I know of the new market, most customers want a lot of speed. Plus the boat will have an enclosed pilot house, enclosed head, bunks, dinette, etc, so it will not be a spartan, light boat.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
It might just be me but i think the front looks to flat. I don't know how to give it more curve with only 2 windows.
It’s pretty flat but not completely. It’s only 42” wide so it’s hard to do 2. I’m trying to combine these 2 for the most part.

49C40F77-D791-486D-B2E3-DBA50C2320C1.jpeg

7D8826DE-7F19-472D-9471-B3BDC0BB4863.jpeg

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

c1steve

Captain
I agree with the 24 degree angle, it looks and works well. Sea Sport uses 37 degree, it probably works great but is pretty extreme.

On the OB bracket, I have been researching shapes. I am certain that a bracket that completely follows the hull is more efficient than one that is stepped up a few inches. Onslow Bay boats are built like this.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

Codcruncher

Commander
It’s pretty flat but not completely. It’s only 42” wide so it’s hard to do 2. I’m trying to combine these 2 for the most part.

View attachment 104090

View attachment 104091
I think flat looks fine on the narrow house...I just feel it needs the approximate radial curve of the roof, obviously in a flat projection, on the wider houses...the rake angle is more critical on a flat line...IMO

c1steve

Captain
What about directional stability when the keel is cut back? I think this is an important issue. IMO if some of the keel is kept and twin OBs are used, this may work. But a cutting away most of the keel for a single engine installation may be problematic.

voodoojfb

Lieutenant
Boat Make
22 Tripp CC
Just started a building mine . Still playing around but something like this

View attachment 104046

View attachment 104047

View attachment 104048
Where/what are you thinking for something to lean on/sit? #2 looks like an outside leaning post style, #1 looks like you want something simple inside, and #3 could be either way. Some kind of simple flip up style seat that's halfway comfortable that keeps you mostly dry would be great. Have a 22 trip cc that I ponder this type of modification on several times a week. Good Luck & share the progress!

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

c1steve

Captain
Yes, tracking in a following sea. I know that DE boats that have twin engines in them cut away part of the keel, for better efficiency. But these boats can have terrible problems in following seas. It will be interesting if good tracking can be maintained in OB style downeast boats.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I’ve personally seen a lot of outboard boats running all over Alaska, they don’t have trouble in a following sea, and none of them had even a small keel. I’ve been on inboard boats that had large keels that were horrible in a following sea. Lots of factors go into following sea performance, removing keel depth doesn’t automatically cause poor tracking in a following sea.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Well I don’t think the customer base the PowderPro is appealing to will be out in the type of weather that not having a full keel will be an issue.
you ain't ever been here so you don't know what kind of conditions people fish in, conditions can change in very short distances. I've seen it go from flat calm to blowing 60 in minutes.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
you ain't ever been here so you don't know what kind of conditions people fish in, conditions can change in very short distances. I've seen it go from flat calm to blowing 60 in minutes.
Weather can pickup anywhere on the ocean. I think Jerry’s point was, a 26 Duffy with the keel shaved for twin outboards can handle rough weather safely. This whole notion that shaving a keel down causes scary tracking issues is not something I’ve seen in Alaska. I’ve been in Seward watching the 24’-28’ outboard powered charter boats flying in to the harbor in a pretty big following sea, and they weren’t having issues going through it. Also, the keel on the 32x12 Wegley is significantly shaved down for shallow draft, and that boat handles a following sea better than my 38 Lowell with a very large keel.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make

Latest Posts

Top Bottom