Wet Deck?

Boat Make
cape dory (sail), looking for a downeaster
I'm very interested in a 1980 Sisu 26. Survey shows a deck that seems to be moist (by meter) all over with no apparent damage or soft spots. Hull is fine and solid to both meter and hammer.
My sense is that the boat is good for many years to come and that all 30 yr old boats a likely to have moist decks and can go for years like this.
Am I wrong?

Last edited:

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
If there are no vents in stern corners and air cant circulate under the deck its likely that the plywood could be moist.Cant you look under there some how,deck hatch,fuel hatch?

Boat Make
cape dory (sail), looking for a downeaster
There are vents and the air does seem to circulate. It doesn't feel wet, just registers moist on the meter. Also, feels and should very solid.

Question is, is this trouble waiting to happen or should I just plan on living with it?

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
The thing with plywood is that moisture tends to follow the veneer of the wood.You have layers of wood and it gets between them and spreads.If the wood was wet you should be able to see it from underneath.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
have just ripped up and gutted a sisu 22 with a water soaked floor, and framwork.
it was a patchwork of 1/2 fir ply on some pretty quickly knocked together 1 1/2x2 1/2 framework. all of it quite wet. a fein multimaster with a metalblade made really quick work of cutting the glass tabbing from the hull, and the chopstrand mat ripped right up, as did the patchwork of ply. a good day had it gutted. the sisus have a glassed in cleating that runs around the hull for the floor to sit on.
my point is this....its not a big deal to replace the floor. and while its up, you can check everything out and make whatever changes are necessary. i'm just putting back a straight nida core replacement over wolmanized joists. what the customer wants, he gets. but you could do a removable floor/flange setup to make future work easier.
But if your floor is not rotten, don't sweat it. eventually it will be, and its not a big deal.
i'll post some pics of the project on the projects section.

Top Bottom