What’s the best starting battery?

lake erie traveler

Lieutenant
Hey guys
Time to replace my starter batteries. Got 5 years out of them... not too bad. Both are shot. Looking for 1000 cca AGM’s. Cranking over a single Yanmar 6LY2A-STP. Do any of you favor one brand over others? Thanks!

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I use RV batterys from WalMart (the only thing I buy there) and I have always had great luck with them in everything. They are inexpensive, plainly dated, and I always get 5-6 years from them. I don't kill them with dockside charging as I am on a mooring and I don't take them off the boat or leave a charger on them in the winter.

John Hobby

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 Eastern 2710, 6BT Cummins
What size are you looking at, what group? I just bought some new AGM this year, 31, at Batteries Plus More. They are Durecell, $249 each, with rebate. You can spend a boat load of cash on batteries but I think the AGM's are mostly all the same.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

lake erie traveler

Lieutenant
Thanks guys
I am not battery “smart” at all. The battery that I am replacing is an 8d size. A big and EXPENSIVE sucker. I put these in 5 years ago and just replaced them with what was in there before at that time. Now that i am reading up on them I am not so sure the 8d is right. They seem to be better as a deep cycle “house” battery because of the slower discharge rate at a lower amperage. I have a split system with the same battery for the house side.
The tray that holds the starter battery has two sets of hold down strap loops. so i am thinking maybe there were two higher discharge rate batteries there and the previous owner changed to the 8d size battery. I can buy three or four of any of the batteries you guys have suggested for what this 8d cost. Would i get higher cranking amperage and better life by setting up two 31’s in parallel? Sure as hell would leave plenty of sheckles in the check book for a keg of beer vs. the cost of the 8d. Am I off base? Thanks

[email protected]

Commander
Boat Make
26 JC
If it's a standard lead acid 8D it's not deep cycle. Deep cycle are designed to be heavily discharged between charging's, like in a house application where cabin uses bring them down to low voltages. They can then be charged with no damage or loss to their original capacity over and over. Their downside is they do not provide the cranking capacity a cranking battery does and on a new engine installation review deep cycles for starting will fail engine warranty requirements for the companies I worked for. A starting battery provides much more cranking amps but can't recover from deep discharges like a deep cycle. As for engine cranking a lead acid 8D is very hard to beat. Probably the best starting battery available, especially for the money. 2 good ones will crank a 15 liter Cat for a long time even in the winter.
On my desk I only have B /C Cummins requirements handy. They require a minimum of 2 Group 31 lead acid batteries or an 8D.
My boat with a B has 3 Group 31's and I have no trouble running them 7 seasons and change them out only because they're getting old. I haven't load tested them but they hold 12.2 volts over the winter with no starting issues after 7 years. The third set will be going in this spring. With all the EPA stuff the last 15 years there's not that many battery manufactures around anymore. Most likely whatever label you choose it's probably an Exide or East Penn. They're both good but batteries have gotten expensive especially when you up for the better in a particular Group size. I got a quote for the 3 in the boat from my local battery warehouse and it's up around $50 each. But the little 24 for the minivan was almost $90. I bought it anyway as the van was down but later checked and Walmart wanted the same amount.

Last edited:

lake erie traveler

Lieutenant
If it's a standard lead acid 8D it's not deep cycle. Deep cycle are designed to be heavily discharged between charging's, like in a house application where cabin uses bring them down to low voltages. They can then be charged with no damage or loss to their original capacity over and over. Their downside is they do not provide the cranking capacity a cranking battery does and on a new engine installation review deep cycles for starting will fail engine warranty requirements for the companies I worked for. A starting battery provides much more cranking amps but can't recover from deep discharges like a deep cycle. As for engine cranking a lead acid 8D is very hard to beat. Probably the best starting battery available, especially for the money. 2 good ones will crank a 15 liter Cat for a long time even in the winter.
On my desk I only have B /C Cummins requirements handy. They require a minimum of 2 Group 31 lead acid batteries or an 8D.
My boat with a B has 3 Group 31's and I have no trouble running them 7 seasons and change them out only because they're getting old. I haven't load tested them but they hold 12.2 volts over the winter with no starting issues after 7 years. The third set will be going in this spring. With all the EPA stuff the last 15 years there's not that many battery manufactures around anymore. Most likely whatever label you choose it's probably an Exide or East Penn. They're both good but batteries have gotten expensive especially when you up for the better in a particular Group size. I got a quote for the 3 in the boat from my local battery warehouse and it's up around $50 each. But the little 24 for the minivan was almost $90. I bought it anyway as the van was down but later checked and Walmart wanted the same amount.
Thanks Mike
i have done some more studying and came to the conclusion to go ahead with the lead acid 8d
i have a Crown distributor that is just down the road from my shop. I am going to see what they can do. We use them for our tractors and we have have no beefs.
again, thanks to everyone. Once again, great and knowledgable advice.

Top Bottom