What’s the history of the 28’ T Jason?

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I know Willie Pinkham now has the 28 and 35 T Jason molds, I was curious about the history of the 28’ hull. Anyone have a knowledge of the development of the hull or owned one and care to comment? I know the specs, seen a number of pictures, post any pictures you have. thanks.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I know Willie Pinkham now has the 28 and 35 T Jason molds, I was curious about the history of the 28’ hull. Anyone have a knowledge of the development of the hull or owned one and care to comment? I know the specs, seen a number of pictures, post any pictures you have. thanks.
Brian as far as I knowCalvin Beal designed the 25 and then Terry extended it to the 28. I could have it reversed but I believe that to be true

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Brian as far as I knowCalvin Beal designed the 25 and then Terry extended it to the 28. I could have it reversed but I believe that to be true
I think that’s what I had read before, at least my impression was the 28 was a lengthened and maybe? widened 25...anyway, just curious. Still trying to decide my next move, and looking at all options.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
It’s a nice looking hull, Willie sent me these pics, I believe this was the most recent one pulled from the molds, I like the tight soft chine, hull dimensions, molded in spray rails and quarter guards save some time and material.

1A8FDC88-CA6E-4125-9125-73B234590D8E.jpeg

462CC0CD-D6D5-41F6-874C-4B95B8950543.jpeg

8482500F-04A1-49E9-8D7B-DB0B6A6113E6.jpeg

5077FCDD-6E67-41D9-BBE9-7A22EF17CB36.jpeg

Tenacity Tuning

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Dominic
Boat Make
25 T-Jason
I have heard that the 28 is just 3ft added to the stern of the 25. No keel extension or anything, same width, just 3 more feet. That's all through the grapevine though.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason

Dorado

Commander
Years back, prob 5 or so, I’m pretty sure Terry told me that the 25 got destroyed when a big tree fell. Rather than rebuild the 25 he decided to stick to same design but make it 28.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I think that’s what I had read before, at least my impression was the 28 was a lengthened and maybe? widened 25...anyway, just curious. Still trying to decide my next move, and looking at all options.
Brian lots of new rec boats being built for the PWS fishery but they are mostly trying to keep the beam under 10' to beat the whittier tunnel cost/restrictions, cost for under 10' is $35 cost for over 10' $350. Something to think about.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Brian lots of new rec boats being built for the PWS fishery but they are mostly trying to keep the beam under 10' to beat the whittier tunnel cost/restrictions, cost for under 10' is $35 cost for over 10' $350. Something to think about.
Whatever I build that is outboard powered, will be 10' beam or less. That is the number that all the outboard powered boats in the NW and Alaska are staying at or under for trailering purposes. From what I can gather, the 28 T Jason has a max beam of 10'2" and 9'2" at the stern, I figure I can pull the sides in an inch or two during construction to keep it right at 10'. Most all the other 28' downeast hulls are 10'4" or more. The 26' Duffy is 9'6" wide, and there are a few 8'6" wide hulls I'm also considering.

c1steve

Captain
You could also ask Geoff Dickies, who designed the Black Horse 33 and all the Wesmacs, to design a 10' beam hard chine boat. Making a plug and the mold would be a big undertaking, but it could be a super boat.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
You could also ask Geoff Dickies, who designed the Black Horse 33 and all the Wesmacs, to design a 10' beam hard chine boat. Making a plug and the mold would be a big undertaking, but it could be a super boat.
Don’t want to gamble the kind of money it would take to hire a designer and construct a new mold to build 28’ers. Makes more sense to use an existing hull that could meet a market demand. I wish I had a lot of extra money to gamble on a new design, but not in the cards for me

c1steve

Captain
I know what you mean. However Dickes has the Black Horse 33, it could be scaled down 10%, might not cost much for that part. The plug and the mold is where most of the cost would be.

"One of our designs, this charming downeaster is traditional above the waterline and state-of-the-art below. A lot of effort was invested in refining the bottom to reduce the drag inherent in a full-keeled, built down style hull. The result is class leading speed and efficiency from a hull that also delivers an exceptional ride and tracking. You can expect a solid 25 knot cruise and a top end of 30 knots from 440 hp at 16,000 pounds".

His current designs often incorporate one pair of lifting strakes. Boricua Custom Boats also adds lifting strakes to Wesmac hulls.

Last edited:

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I know what you mean. However Dickies has the Black Horse 33, it could be scaled down 10%, might not cost much for that part. The plug and the mold is where most of the cost would be.
Actually that’s just the beginning of costs. You need a shop, tools to do layups, workers, etc. At this point I will plan on finishing someone else’s hull or acquire existing molds if they are really reasonable on the sale price.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Actually that’s just the beginning of costs. You need a shop, tools to do layups, workers, etc. At this point I will plan on finishing someone else’s hull or acquire existing molds if they are really reasonable on the sale price.

Gurryman had a mold hanging around in that size ballpark, top too I believe... 28 Nauset maybe?

landonyacobucci

Lieutenant
First Name
Landon
Boat Make
28' Terry Jason
I just purchased a 28' Terry Jason from a member on here and trailered it to Southern California. This boat is the best riding boat I have been on. We have been testing it out in bad weather 15kt-17kt south wind (which is our bad wind angle here), and it just goes.... not much of a performance dampener. So far nothing has been too much for her. Figured if its made for NE weather the calm waters in the socal bight would be nothing for her. The previous owner did a great job on getting her up to par. Her first trip to Catalina. Maine Squeeze (2).jpg

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I just purchased a 28' Terry Jason from a member on here and trailered it to Southern California. This boat is the best riding boat I have been on. We have been testing it out in bad weather 15kt-17kt south wind (which is our bad wind angle here), and it just goes.... not much of a performance dampener. So far nothing has been too much for her. Figured if its made for NE weather the calm waters in the socal bight would be nothing for her. The previous owner did a great job on getting her up to par. Her first trip to Catalina. View attachment 109181
what's up with the mooring set up there? They buoys are all lined up and very close together. It also looks like you have line off your stern. Asking for a friend...;)

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
It is a strange mooring arrangement. I couldn't quite figure it out when I was there. Harbor was quite crowded with boats on moorings, spaced pretty close together, all in line as if it was a parking lot. Bows of all the boats remained pointed out towards the sea regardless of time as if they all had stern anchors. Rather than waste my day trying to figure it out, I spent the day exploring the island but have wondered about it ever since. Hahaha.

Top Bottom