What am i doing wrong ? can't get my gelcote to shine ??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
You can go from 80 grit to shiny shiny with the 3M. Down and dirty I'm in a hurry.

Not in that big a hurry just like to see some progress when i do something. The 3M sounds like my kind of progress, its off to anchorage ASAP :D. I'll report back once i give it a try. I don't even drink beer so kerosene flavor wouldn't do much for me !!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve,

Not sure but I wouldn't doubt that's one difference. The Aqua Buff is the only one I have experience with. I do use the 3M Imperial Compound #06044 (purple label) to restore molded surfaces. But you may need something even more aggressive for the first cut on your project. The 3M Super Duty may work as well as the AB 1000. And if it is easier to obtain and less expensive, all the better. Once you get a good compound, whichever you choose, I think you will be impressed with how well it works.

I'm sure your right i just have to get the right stuff and then learn to use it correctly. I've watched some vids on youtube and it sure seems to work fast with the right stuff.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
@steveinak...that super duty 3M compound's got a real high cut to it you may want to use tape to delineate small sections working it in at like 1500 rpms then after its good and gone a few quick passes at probably 2500. I would recommend a better buffer than a HF deal though...or at least buy some of the right pads!

Just don't burn it through and then you'll be all upset!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
@steveinak...that super duty 3M compound's got a real high cut to it you may want to use tape to delineate small sections working it in at like 1500 rpms then after its good and gone a few quick passes at probably 2500. I would recommend a better buffer than a HF deal though...or at least buy some of the right pads!

Just don't burn it through and then you'll be all upset!

I'm going to go real easy at first till i learn how it cuts. Whats wrong with the wool pads i have ?? or what should i have ?? Same with the buffer? isn't 1500 or 2500 rpm the same rpm no matter what brand of buffer a guy uses??

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Picked up some super duty compound today, ain't to cheap is it, so i'm hoping it does the trick and i can more on with the project. Pictures to follow:confused:.

Tunascapes

Commander
On Facebook today they put up the crew shots from the feb 13 issue. You were in there hauling shrimp pots. Unless there is another Steve on a downbeat boat snow squall in Alaska.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
On Facebook today they put up the crew shots from the feb 13 issue. You were in there hauling shrimp pots. Unless there is another Steve on a downbeat boat snow squall in Alaska.

Thanks i'll check it out !! I sent in some pictures but they didn't use them in the january issue.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
update on the compounding, got it done not as deep a luster as i thought but i bet its from not sanding down to 1000 girt, i need to get this done, out of the shop so i can start building shrimp gear.

P1091048.jpg

P1091051.jpg

P1091048.jpg

P1091051.jpg

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
If you were a little close to the East Coast I'd come buy with Makita and give your boat a little hate for you but alas Alaska is a world away from Boston.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
If you were a little close to the East Coast I'd come buy with Makita and give your boat a little hate for you but alas Alaska is a world away from Boston.[/QUOTE

Whats 5000 miles amongst friends :eek: Its 20 degrees out and the winds blowin 20-25 nice day for outside work !!! Thanks for the offer stop by in April we can do the boat then go out on the sound and pop a black bear.

Top Bottom