What angle is your windshield?

Poco Loco

1st Mate
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
What is the best angle for the windshield from the forward bottom to the top aft? What is yours? What angle looks the best? This for a new Calvin Beal 38:confused:

Poco Loco

1st Mate
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
image.jpg
Plan A was for the west coast windshield. After doing a mock up I found that the top outside corners of the windshield interfere with the walkaround space. Because of that I am going the other way with the windshield. I measured the angle of a friends Calvin Beal 36 and found 70 degrees. I was curious if someone has any ideas about what angle works and looks the best.

image.jpg

plowin

Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
If your not going west coast then mimicking the angle on the trunk cabin will be a good place to start.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Poco Loco- I think the molded Wesmac top has the most sloped back windshields of the DE boats, I think I measured their windshield at about 53-54 degrees. I believe the Calvin Beals are more straight up at around 65-70 degrees. I also believe the H&H tops are in the 65-70 degree range. On my 34 Calvin Beal I built the top myself and I think I settled on about 55 degrees because I wanted a sleeker look. In my opinion, that was a little too flat, which took up too much cabin space, etc. The flatter the windshield angle, the less room in the cabin you will have. That's one of the advantages of the West coast style windshield, the area in your cabin is increased, and there is less glare, they look more commercial, and the water runs off them way better.

So when I built my 38' Wesmac (I custom built the top for it as well), I went with 59 degrees and I really liked it. I personally think somewhere in the 55-63 degree range looks the best. Here is my Wesmac with a 59 degree windshield.

DSCN9030.JPG

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Poco- I really like the looks of your drawing with the west coast windshield. Could you raise the cabin or lower the walk around deck so the hard top overhang does not interfere with the walk around? Here is a drawing of the new 40' Lowell Brothers hull I am building. It is a walk around style cabin with a west coast windshield. The sloped back windows on most DE boats look really nice, but I think the west coast style is more user friendly and practical for excursions in the ocean.

40 Lowell Pilot.jpg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Raked aft from vertical - 28 degrees.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Sisu 30 measured it today for you. 34 degrees from plumb (Vertical)

image.jpg

captainlarry84

Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Poco Loco- I think the molded Wesmac top has the most sloped back windshields of the DE boats, I think I measured their windshield at about 53-54 degrees. I believe the Calvin Beals are more straight up at around 65-70 degrees. I also believe the H&H tops are in the 65-70 degree range. On my 34 Calvin Beal I built the top myself and I think I settled on about 55 degrees because I wanted a sleeker look. In my opinion, that was a little too flat, which took up too much cabin space, etc. The flatter the windshield angle, the less room in the cabin you will have. That's one of the advantages of the West coast style windshield, the area in your cabin is increased, and there is less glare, they look more commercial, and the water runs off them way better.

So when I built my 38' Wesmac (I custom built the top for it as well), I went with 59 degrees and I really liked it. I personally think somewhere in the 55-63 degree range looks the best. Here is my Wesmac with a 59 degree windshield.

I think Propro has the look you are looking for. Nicely raked along with the tower & top all matching. I measure the rake on my 31 JC which appears to be 60 degrees

March photo 06 166.jpg

Picture 022.jpg

kristen 032.jpg

Poco Loco

1st Mate
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
I appreciate everyone's input and advise. I agree that the western windshield looks great and is more functional. I will be at the boat tomorrow with mock ups of both windshields. I'll try to get some pictures to post.

Poco Loco

1st Mate
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
image.jpg
I decided to go with 70 degrees. Looks more sleek with the angle closer to 60 but it takes up more interior space which I don't want to give up.

image.jpg

Top Bottom