What are pros/cons of a CAT 3406C 580 HP, mechanical

fv_anxiety

Lieutenant
I'm looking at a boat that has a CAT 3406C 580 HP, mechanical in it. I don't know anything about these engines. I'm wondering what anyone's thoughts are on them. Are they a high or low hour engine?

pugsley

Captain
very high hour engine, a guy just took one out last fall with 27k hours, it still ran great, but was getting tired, never had many issues with it, just an injector here and there. they do like fuel.

sbmar.com

Lieutenant
Boat Make
36Ft Custom Wilson SF
The CAT 3406C was one of the engines the CAT should get many accolades for, or was one that gave them the world class perception of quality that CAT has instilled for the past 4+ decades.. In other words, when this 14L engine left the factory, it was at the absolute top of its class as to quality and robustness.. What condition it is is now is 100% dependent on what it has been trough since then..Ask yourself--How many "nuts behind the wheel" have there been taking care of it since new? ............

Too bad CAT hasn't built a decent engine since then in that displacement range or less and has thrown in the towel. They now have to look overseas for an engine to fill the BIG GAPs they have in there line-up..............I think ACERT did them in and they just took to long to swallow the billion $ mistake..

Tony

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Very tough commercial engine.But its health is purely dependent upon how its been treated since start up. That does not mean it had to be treated gently, the engine is a work horse, it just needs to be maintained and not overloaded. I my estimation CAT has been relying on the reputation of this motor to carry them for a long time since its replacement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom