What are you guys using for TIG welders out there

goin4broke

Admiral
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
I have some other projects in the works besides the TJ that require some light steel and aluminum welding. I haven’t looked at hiring someone to do it but the work would be intermittent and maybe more expensive than the machine. Besides I am a true DIY kind of guy and and want the satisfaction of doing it myself on my schedule.

Some of my research found a big range in price and features with some names other than the notables so, I’m still weighing the cost of owning vs. hiring.

Dave588

1st Mate
I bought a smaller mig from eastwood. The 240v models in 175 or 180 amps included an aluminum spool gun.
You might try looking at eastwood

LuSea

1st Mate
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
Nauset 35
If you're not interested in spending the $$$ on a Miller inverter, the Eastwood 200 TIG is a great value for casual use. I've used this same machine for stainless and mild steel fabrication ( handrail systems ) in homes for the last 10 years. Being a inverter, it runs on 120V - 20amp on 50' of # 10 extension cord without issue. It would definitely be my go-to TIG for the value if you are looking for a value priced TIG machine but not looking for a daily use - continuous duty model.

PatriciaLynn

Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
I got a PrimeWeld 225 TIG machine and love it. Tons of functionality, runs clean welds was pretty cheap. I have welded aluminum, stainless and mild steel and all have gone fine.

goin4broke

Admiral
Boat Make
Thanks guys I will definitely check your recommendations.

Looks like Eastwood and PrimeWeld have the features I’m looking for. Especially the pedal.

Yeah I’ve used miller and Lincoln equipment and it is nice stuff. In fact I have a standard Lincoln 225A stick welder now and works great. I just don’t want half of what I pay going to support a name and the NASCAR team.

goin4broke

Admiral
Boat Make
So I went with the PrimeWeld 225 tig. Looks like a real nice unit. I also researched the Easton line but, for for a few bucks more I feel the 225 amp is a little more robust. And has more fine tune options which should help the amateur in me doing the non-ferrous metals. We’ll soon see.

I wasn’t able to acquire the argon before the Holiday weekend so as much as want to try it out it will have to wait till next week. :(

Much to my surprise. Ordered yesterday morning is supposed to arrive today (Saturday).

Top Bottom