What degree of holders on transom

Underdog11

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
32 Holland,

1rider

Commander
I like 15* in the transom, at least for the one to fight fish out of. If you are using the fancy adjustable Winthrop butts it's not as big a deal.

Greasemonkeytuna

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Henry
Boat Make
Edgewater
For trolling you want the 15s but i think it’s good to go for two vertical holders and two 15s. Obviously swivel

Tuna Hotline

Rear Admiral
I like 90* 99% of the time, but it's nice to have the option of a 15* if it's really snotty out. Of course with the new adjustable butts, it's not as much of an issue (if you have them).

leaky

Admiral
I like all 90's - the 15's are goofy to fight a fish out of and swing "up".

If you want the line coming low off the rod tip, make it really low and use a release clip - then it can be right down at the height of the gunnel.

For trolling I don't see how it makes much difference - actually most of the time, with say squid bars that we normally use, you want the line held high as possible whether it's from an outrigger or off the rod tip anyway - yes if you turn erratically a flat line ahead can touch a rod, no blood no foul, and that really only happens on accident and occasionally.

leaky

Admiral
Oh and depth wise..

Really it comes down to what height is comfortable for you - deeper holders = lower rods. And you are tall.

Other considerations. You can make the rods on the transom lower via deeper rod holders.

Normal rods do not fit well into 12 inch holders - often the reel drops down to the gunnel and bangs, twists around.

If a boat has a good number of shallow non swivel holders - use whatever makes sense to you. If a boat is going to only have swivel holders it's nice to have some or all in a 10 inch for bait, cod, striper rods etc..

Left a rod holder guy 12 inch, right a tigress 4 bolt 10 inch. On my transom, where I can't really put any 15 or 30 degrees holders due to trap deck and tank (otherwise I'd smash my legs into them), am gonna use the Tigess 10's - possibly even all around.

20220120_154714.jpg

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
I like fighting fish out of 15 rather then 0, 3 15on stern and 3 on port and and 3 on starboard.

Corazon

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Doug
Boat Make
Duffy 35

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Underdog11

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
32 Holland,

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I think you guys saying 90 degree really mean 0 degree. I have about 16 rod holders on my boat all but two are 0 degree and the remaining two are 15 degree. Im my opinion bent butts are well suited for 0 degree holders and bend the rod better than a 15 degree while the fight is on.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Lou, I call them 90 degrees because i look at the surface of the horizon as 0 degrees. You know like when i fall down and stop at 0. :p JK.
Don you get a pass. You can call them whatever you want. I have been going up to jackman quite a bit. Love to catch up some time when im cutting thru.

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Replacing and adding new holders in a 32 Holland and was wondering what the latest thought is on rod holder choices (degrees & depth) in the corners, transom & gunnels. Thank you for any advice.

View attachment 125483
Love what you are doing. I would add a toe space on the bottom. I know its a bit more work but it will keep you from bumping your feet. Looks like a nice job being done.

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I like fighting fish out of 15 rather then 0, 3 15on stern and 3 on port and and 3 on starboard.
Dont you like swivel rod holders and bent butts ? You cant use 15 degree with swivel holder and a bent butt. I have a video of you in action on a zero degree set up. Watch how quickly that fish changed direction when it got near the transom but to deep to toss and how many times it did that and then tell me how you would have made out with a 15 degree holder that didnt swivel. When the fish is that close its hard to get the stern to react that quickly. A 0 degree swivel reacts for you where as the 15 degree cant because its not going to swivel. Leave the 15 degree to the bass and blues.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom