What do you think?

liden

Deckhand
Looking into the purchase of new 130 bent butt rods. What do you think of the difference between the extra long Chatham Specials vs. the regular length?

I have boat enough for either size but am interested in the flexibility in each rod.
I have used the "standard" 130 bent butts for years.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
The long rods tend to kill the fish quicker with the constant pressure from the bend and also hold the fish away from the boat at end of the fight if the fish gets under boat. More forgiving if you have a newbe on the rod, giving you more time to yell at him to keep the pressure on the fish when you see no bend in the rod! Of course this is only MHO. I got the long rod with winthrop guides.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I think it's the only time you want long and soft

CaptFred

Deckhand
Boat Make
36 Flowers / Cape Island
Chatham Long

I don't usually respond to these product questions but I have to say, the CMS Chatham Long with Winthrop guides is the balls. Charlie builds a great rod for the money

tomy

1st Mate
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Does CMS have a webpage? I'm happy with my Rods, but would like to look at his products.

Raider Ronnie

Admiral
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Tunascapes

1st Mate
CMS tackle.com. Great guys. Working on a few things for me again this winter. Always been a pleasure to deal with.

I would try and stay away from the 80 blanks ,unless you have an 80 class reel . When guys come in and ask about rods for tuna fishing ,it is all about money ,ofcourse it is this day and age .So why throw good $$ away buying the wrong product . Go with a 130 blank rt 130 calstar with winthrop you will never look back .You will not break them that is for sure .Soft as an 80 blank but a 130. I have built numerous rods for this fishery, and have seen many 80 blanks get snapped in half from the pressure we put on them.Remember these 80 blanks can only put so much pressure on the fish compared to the 130 blanks ,The long or XL is the new way to go .The long rods will help you when the fish is boatside doing what he does best ,BREAKING SHIT!!! 130S on a 80 blank is like putting a deisel in a volkwagon bug ..At some point , something is gonna give.There are plenty of 80 blanks running around out there that have not broke yet ,but it is just a matter of time before the right fish and weather comes along and ruins your day and your rod.Good luck with your decision you make ..BUY ONCE AND FORGET ABOUT IT!!! There is nothing like a custom rod ....SLRT130/7'-WTBSBCG IGFA130 long trolling rod

photo (6).jpg

photo (7).jpg

photo (3).jpg

photo (5).jpg

seacraft1973

Deckhand
Local Hooker Rods has some amazing prices right now!
Local Hooker is pretty much on every Wicked Tuna boat!!!

Drakes

Deckhand
Don't waste your money on that local hooker shit....it's junk the guy who built them is clueless I broke a 130 on a big fish, they then rebuilt me the rods twice. I have two spinning rods from them both tips blew off them. The rebuilt 130's are a joke I wouldn't use them they are brand new if anyone wants to buy them I will not put one out ever again....the guy who owns the company is a fraud

seacraft1973

Deckhand
Drakes, you might want to check your facts on that dude.
Local Hooker has caught boat loads of record fish and won IGFA tourneys,
I know almost all the top guys use them from Florida to the canyons, to the television, if they did not work they would not use them.

Drakes

Deckhand
Right ill check my facts you might want to stop advertising without permission. Wow you could have won that cabo tourney with a broomstick...the rods don't win fishermen do. the rods are junk I know firsthand Btw that tourney that the wet dream crew won is basically an invitation buy in tourney not really a big deal. You win a tournament get an invite but you have to pay to play. The brand local hooker is a joke. Look at Bob J I'd compare him to curt shilling at this point

The only reason they are on whicked tuna ,is that they have been given to the boats for nothing ,It is not liked they spent there hard earned tuna money on new rods or reels .You get what you pay for ,or not

Demetrius71

Deckhand
I'm with Carlos the Wicked Tuna hype is awful, imagine junk rod builders think they are gonna make a fortune cause there on a boat on tv. Curt Shilling, does Bob wrap a red sox theme rod stickers of the bloody sock.............

Top Bottom