What Electronics Do You Have Onboard?

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Since I've found this forum, I've seen we have everyone from the hardcore lobsterman, to the simple Downeast Style Enthusiast, and everything in between.

Some people here use their boats strictly for leasure, and of course there are some here who depend on their electronics to make a living onboard.

I figured it might be fun to get an idea on what people here use for Chartplotting, Radar, Echo Sounders, Autopilots, VHF Radios, AIS, Weather Cast, anything.

I'd also love to know what kind of boat you have, or boats, for you really lucky bastards out there, what kind of engine power you've got under the deck, and what you've got hooked up at the helm.

If there are certain pro's and con's on some of the equipment, I'd love to hear about it. If there are certain quirks or issues, I might be able to even help. I just want to get to know as many people here as possible, and considering I'm an electronics tech, I really would like to know what people are using up there and what suggestions people might have that may or may not exist in the world of marine electronics. I'm looking forward to reading what you all have to say, and I promise not to make fun of anyone who doesn't use anything but a compass and an old flasher. Those are the people who I envy the most.

I'll be watching, so fire away! Thanks in advance for indulging me, fellas and gals. It's part of being a nerd without a boat to call my own. Go figure, you've all been there before I'm sure. :ugeek:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Since I've found this forum, I've seen we have everyone from the hardcore lobsterman, to the simple Downeast Style Enthusiast, and everything in between.

Some people here use their boats strictly for leasure, and of course there are some here who depend on their electronics to make a living onboard.

I figured it might be fun to get an idea on what people here use for Chartplotting, Radar, Echo Sounders, Autopilots, VHF Radios, AIS, Weather Cast, anything.

I'd also love to know what kind of boat you have, or boats, for you really lucky bastards out there, what kind of engine power you've got under the deck, and what you've got hooked up at the helm.

If there are certain pro's and con's on some of the equipment, I'd love to hear about it. If there are certain quirks or issues, I might be able to even help. I just want to get to know as many people here as possible, and considering I'm an electronics tech, I really would like to know what people are using up there and what suggestions people might have that may or may not exist in the world of marine electronics. I'm looking forward to reading what you all have to say, and I promise not to make fun of anyone who doesn't use anything but a compass and an old flasher. Those are the people who I envy the most.

I'll be watching, so fire away! Thanks in advance for indulging me, fellas and gals. It's part of being a nerd without a boat to call my own. Go figure, you've all been there before I'm sure. :ugeek:
A pr. of 2009 Raytheon C80 wides, 24" HD radar, DSM300 sounder, 1Kw trans, SIRIUS weather, ICOM radio, no auto-pilot.

All works great!. Boat had old Raytheon electronics, so upgrade stayed with Raytheon.

Bill D

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Raymarine pathfinder dsm250 4 kw dome, 2-10 1-7 inch screens. 6100i northstar 2 12 inch screens, furuno fcv1100, 3 icom radios ap28 and 24 simrad autopilot.

Bermuda

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Osmond Beal (480 QSB)
Ray C120W w/ DSM300 and 1kW in hull trans
Garmin GPSMAP 5012
GHP10 Autopilot
Garmin VHF200
Fusion Stereo with Sirius Sat

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
Shuttle computer running The Cap'n 3D
SiTex Trawl Plot 12 plotter
SiTex CVS 210 sounder
Furuno 1832 radar
Furuno GP 32 gps
Furuno CH 270 searchlight sonar
Boatracs VMS
Icom 504 VHF
Icom 302 VHF
Stereo and tv

Helen L

Commander
PC w/Windplot split to 2 monitors
Sitex PC Sounder
1kw in hull ducer
Northstar 6000i plotter w/open array radar & camera on deck
Furuno 1930 open array radar
Sitex SST-110
Furuno WAAS
Sitex AIS
Northstar 951x (outside station)
Simrad AP 35 Autopilot (jog lever in tower)
WxWorx Sat Weather
Icom M604
Icom M502
Standard Horizon VHF (outside station)
Standard Horizon VHF (tower)
3 Ritchie compasses
Globalstar Sat phone
Kenwood Headunit
24" Flat screen HDTV, sounder monitor can feed to TV and display sounder
Xbox 360

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
I will pass on this thread. Since BillD wants everyone to state their location. This is just an invitation for the bad guys with a shopping list for electronics! Just something to think about.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I will pass on this thread. Since BillD wants everyone to state their location. This is just an invitation for the bad guys with a shopping list for electronics! Just something to think about.
Yeah, but now "they" will know you have something to good to list ;).

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Hey Frigate,

Not really sure what you mean by your post. I started this thread, not BillD. I wanted to see what brands and models of electronics the people on this thread were using. I'm down in NY, on the Long Island Sound, and I don't get to get onboard many hard-core Maine based lobster boats to see what they have as far as electronics. To be honest, I had never even HEARD of Hondex before I came to this forum. Personally, my favorite manufacturer is Furuno when it comes to Radar/Sounder, and now with their NavNet3D with actual NOAA raster charts, I find that NN3D would be my choice for a chartplotter.

I don't know if your comment is because alot of people on this forum are competing on the same lobster grounds, and the type of electronics is as much a secret as certain waypoints, and the 'BAD GUYS' are other fishermen looking for an advantage?

I've been reading each post, and I was surprised to see a few things. One thing I was not surprised with was the amount of people using the FCV585 and FCV-292. Those units are bulletproof, and I see the 595 on almost every angler's boat. I happen to see more recreational applications, so I was curious to see what some of the more hardcore guys were running, and I was surprised to see the amount of Si-Tex equipment being used. Si-Tex truly has stood the test of time, it seems, as I am actually very close with Ted and Allen who purchased SiTex just a few years back, after being SiTex reps for 20-odd years.

I also wanted to gauge the difference between Icom / Standard users, farther up the coast. I personally prefer the newer Standard equipment, it's priced right and has really given Icom a run for its money over the past five years.

When it comes to plotting, I also loved seeing the amount of guys using PC Software programs. Being that I got my start in this business as someone who swept floors at a marine supply distributor who built custom high performance PCs on the side, the idea that one could use navigation software on a PC with such a higher performance compared to the traditional chartplotter of the day, was amazing. It is what got me involved in the electronics end of the marine industry.

While I've tried them all, I've fallen in love with the new TimeZero chart engine that's featured in MaxSea's TimeZero, and now Nobeltec's Trident, Catch, and Odyssey. I think I might start a thread about Catch, which has a Personal Bathy generator, advanced layer management for season to season, month to month, day to day analysis, as well as integrated GRIB downloader and overlay of weather and sea conditions, even biologic data like chlorophyll, etc.

Now since so many of you have listed what you have onboard, I get to post my 'electronics suite' on my virtual boat, because I have been thus far relegated to living vicariously through people like yourselves.

Here We Go:

Furuno MFDBB with MU150HD Monitor
Furuno DRS6A Open Array
Nobeltec Catch Running on Shuttle PC to 2nd MU150 Monitor
FLIR M324XP Thermal Imager, integrated with Nobeltec for Target Tracking
Furuno BBDS1 Black Box Sounder w/ Bottom Discrimination (Not Yet Released)
Airmar SS270W Widebeam 1kW Transducer
Simrad AP70 Autopilot [Awesome New Pilot w/ 5 Diff. Work Modes)
Standard Horizon GX5500 Class D DSC VHF w/ Hailer
Standard Horizon GX2150 AIS Receiver/Backup VHF w/Hailer
ComNav Dirigo Compass w/ Compensation Sphere (No Deviation)
Furuno RD33 Instrument Repeater (Depth/Speed/HighWay)
Fusion RA200 Marine Stereo w/ External iPod Dock
Thrane & Thrane FleetBroadband 150 for internet/data/sat phone
Comrod VHF Antennas all the way.
GOST Phantom Security System - To Keep Everything From Taking A Walk Down the Dock,

I could probably keep on going all the way to the electrical panel, rocker switches, batt. chargers, batterys, etc. But I'm going to cut it a little short unless anyone would like me to keep going. This list is based on both personal preference of interface, but mostly based on my experience with the reliability, bulletproof nature that I would want to have along with a bulletproof, handlaid 1'' thick glass hull on my virtual Wesmac. It's not like my girlfriend wants to hear any of this, which is probably why we're all here.

I hope this makes you feel a little more comfortable about the nature of this thread, Frigate, but if you want to keep your electronics gear close to the vest, I respect that as well. Thanks for all the responses guys, and be sure to also add certain things you like about what you have, and certain features you think should be available on various equipment, as well as what you feel is the most important part of any navigation suite. Thanks for taking the time, until football season starts and the Jets start mini-camp, this is my home on Sunday afternoons. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
My Guess

I will pass on this thread. Since BillD wants everyone to state their location. This is just an invitation for the bad guys with a shopping list for electronics! Just something to think about."
Marine electronics have been popular theft items over the years, Not all marinas are secure as they might be. So why publish a detailed list of expensive equipment. Times are tough and boats are left unattended for extended periods,

Top Bottom