What ever happened to detroits in work boats?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
With the price of govt surplus detroits and such why does it seem like they have fallen so far from favor? Maybe its just me but I feel like I remember lots of boats having them. Especially with the prices of new diesels theese days the Surplus and rebuilt old detroits seem like a home run to me.

Am I missing something? Is it just because they are so big and heavy?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I understand you "cant" put them in new builds. The question didnt really have anything to do with new builds though. It seems like surplus detroits are cheap as can be.

Just seems like a find a mess of used boats with absurdly small under powered engines in them. WTF would anyone want an 8-10 knot boat for is beyond me.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Go figure this... in the summer I am on vacation...

If I need to steam 100 miles to the canyons. If I go at 14kts I burn 10GPH, which is $40/hr so figure $560 for the back and forth cost. That will take 7 hours each day or there abouts.

If I go at about 7.5/8 knots I burn just about 1GPH. It takes me 13 hours but I've burned $50 in fuel... $50 on the way back... $100 vs $560...

When we go down there and do not catch yellowfin its much easier to take a hit like that...

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
The need for speed in a DE is getting out of hand. Just because there are bigger motors for most there is no need. A boat that is happy-safe-fuel effieient-and comfortable in the range of 10-16K should be enough for most. It looks like the DE people are catching the sport fisherman's disease MY P is bigger and faster than your P. The same macho thinking has given us the 500hp+ auto. It takes a lot of power and fuel to push a DE hull to high speed a planning hull is better suited to that purpose.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Where is Detriot, even their Series 60 and 90 was it, you dont even hear about anymore. Was it because of Volvo and that marketshare? I know when we repowered our HH40 we did the measurements but engine couldn't be delivered for 4 weeks and Cat had a 3406E on the shelf... That was the last time I looked at them in 2002.

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
I like the fact that a DE is happy at a wide range of speed. If you are not in a hurry the fuel burn at 7-8K is usually pretty good. If you bump it up it will cost you. I think a high cruise 10-18k is reasonable for a 32-42footer. If I wanted to travel above 20k I think that is planning hull territory. Put a big aircraft motor in a DE maybe it will do 40K. Put a few big OB on a planning mono hull or cat and you can double that.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
For you Travis, just fast enough to be infront of everyone else at the race? Right?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
The need for speed in a DE is getting out of hand. Just because there are bigger motors for most there is no need. A boat that is happy-safe-fuel effieient-and comfortable in the range of 10-16K should be enough for most. It looks like the DE people are catching the sport fisherman's disease MY P is bigger and faster than your P. The same macho thinking has given us the 500hp+ auto. It takes a lot of power and fuel to push a DE hull to high speed a planning hull is better suited to that purpose.

"You got it buddy !!!!!:D "Go baby go" !!:D

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I'm always curious as to peoples preferences

I have been spoiled cruising at 25 mph

I keep seeing reference to 8 knots cruise, that's my idle speed and unless I'm hauling through the gear it's a bit slow so I just want to see the other side of the argument

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
I think that somewhere in the area of 15-18 is a good cruise, obviously if time isn't a factor and you want to save on fuel then slower is better.
However, being able to get places fast certainly has its advantages, and if money wasn't a factor I think that most people would opt for the faster boat.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
There is now way I would have the time to fish the canyons with an 80-100 mile ride out at 8 knots, that is for the commercial guys that will be out there for a week. The newer designs push easier, faster and more efficiently when built with weight in mind. If the builder knows how to build it light and puts the weight in the right places and not beyond the design of the hull there is no reason why 20+ knots would not be the norm. Yes I spend a lot of time at 18kts burning 13-14gph but when I need to get up and go it is still nice to do 24kts burning 22gph which is still a lot better than an deep V getting 0.5 -0.8 mpg.
The best part is that I get to go slow when i want to and fast when I need to.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Blitzen, as you know, I think you have a real sweet ride that is really dialed in and agree with your bit, balanced on all levels...

By the way, 8 knots even though I do it, is DEAD ASS BORING. I did enjoy cod fishing earlier this month for $40/day.... gave me lots of time to relax after being on a ship for 3 months...

Helen L

Commander
I understand you "cant" put them in new builds. The question didnt really have anything to do with new builds though. It seems like surplus detroits are cheap as can be.

Just seems like a find a mess of used boats with absurdly small under powered engines in them. WTF would anyone want an 8-10 knot boat for is beyond me.

Some people use their boat to make a living. If you fish offshore, youre not making much money going fast. 9knts all day long. Dont like it get a tv for the wheelhouse.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Top Bottom