What ever happened to detroits in work boats?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Dont Know how any one in a charter boat could catch fish with a detriot in there boat those things are vary loud

Thats funny. Ive met a bunch of charter and tournement guys who swear old 2 cycle detroits raised more billfish and tuna than anything else spcifically because of their sound. Then again there were a heck of alot more fish back then too ;)

We didnt have any issue with catching fish and there was no marked improvement going from the detroit to the yanmar as far as catch ratio goes. We were dry stacked though.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
John, let me guess Sealift didnt want to pay for an overhaul, 500 gallons of oil a day, insane and how much more was that...lol...

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Last edited:

Helen L

Commander
I'll go out on a limb here and say I bet I have the quietest boat on this forum. 671 powered. Notice I said boat not engine. Dry stack and big muffler, people dont even no the boats running when they stand next to it. Inside is the like with proper sound deadening. Mines a 1987 engine. Boat is 1987. Its been commerically fishing since it was built and had its first rebuild in 2004. On a 7 day trip, running constantly I burn about 5 gallons of lube.

I have nothing against newer, more powerful engines that run more efficient. But the old Detroit is cheap to get parts, easy to work on, and I know tons of stories from the New Bedford old timers about Detroits throwing rods and still bringing them home safely. Most of the guys in the harbor have Detroits, so it's nice to have their input if troubleshooting anything. Cold day its a hard start but once it does it doesnt stop. 9 knts at 1500rpms steaming and trolling 1k rpms around for a week I burn maybe 225 gallons total. Nice when you hold 600

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I have a love-hate relationship w/ my 671's. I love the sound, which is almost too loud w/ all the soundown. I love how smooth they are for being hard mounted. I love the years of service they have given before overhaul. I love that once you get them running, they don't need electricity to keep running. I love the idea that they will keep running w/ some real damage if the shit hits the fan.

I hate the mess. How does it go- what's the first thing they put in a Detroit when they build it? The leaks.

Also hate how much fuel they burn for the power they make. My boats got just enough power to get up and go, not really enough to run on top of the water affordably. Going along slow they sip fuel reasonably.

For the time being, I'm sticking w/ the old iron.

Helen L

Commander
Agreed, the leaking is a huge pain in the ass. I wear mechanics coveralls when in the bilge or engine room. Touch anything and its black all over you. But my slim wallet likes everything else about it. I mean they were built for one purpose, land troops on a beach. Amazing that in the long run they turned out to be one of the most reliable engines ever. They leak due to their 70 year old design.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
The leaks really aren't too much of a pain in the ass in the DMR. It's twin screw and under the engines there is a containment area, so most of it doesn't get to the bilge, and even so the the keel is glassed over so nothing gets deep or under boards like in some boats. Just have to budget for more diapers than a four stroke. Glad I don't have one in the BHM....

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Agreed, the leaking is a huge pain in the ass. I wear mechanics coveralls when in the bilge or engine room. Touch anything and its black all over you. But my slim wallet likes everything else about it. I mean they were built for one purpose, land troops on a beach. Amazing that in the long run they turned out to be one of the most reliable engines ever. They leak due to their 70 year old design.

I used to run the J&T 6-71N (natural w/70 injectors) that was in my Henriques a quart low and all the oil leaks went away. I think that motor would have run forever at 1650rpm. I wonder how many hours the guy i sold it to got out of it ??

Last edited:

badabing

Banned
Boat Make
novi
come on helen l 225 gallons for a week......well i used to go do the tuna thing in the novi and i have been out there as long as 4 days before finally getting my 3 or giving up and i can tell you that the 6-71 was great on fuel but 225 for 7 days tuna fishing......i forgot you like to ancor up in the middle of the fleet so that may cut down on steaming back up on the drift but i call BS
i understand you love your 6-71 but let me know how much you like it after a couple thousand hours.......and drums of oil
you are speaking about something you dont know near as much as you proclaim.......they dont run when the rod goes through the side...unsure who told you that
they will run with a bad cylinder but you have gotta know how to "jump" the injector lines so you dont keep dumping fuel in the bad one
im glad you like yours but this is sure to change once the "new boat" novelty thing wears off and its nothing but your ability to be on the water a lot to turn a buck and a detroit is a poor choice to achieve this

Helen L

Commander
Nothing to prove to you. Not sure where your animosity comes from. Was also talking about the canyons but thats probably a little far for you. I suggest you quit hanging around your marina gossiping with the other ducklings.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
I did hear there was a storm brewing

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
come on helen l 225 gallons for a week......well i used to go do the tuna thing in the novi and i have been out there as long as 4 days before finally getting my 3 or giving up and i can tell you that the 6-71 was great on fuel but 225 for 7 days tuna fishing......i forgot you like to ancor up in the middle of the fleet so that may cut down on steaming back up on the drift but i call BS
i understand you love your 6-71 but let me know how much you like it after a couple thousand hours.......and drums of oil
you are speaking about something you dont know near as much as you proclaim.......they dont run when the rod goes through the side...unsure who told you that
they will run with a bad cylinder but you have gotta know how to "jump" the injector lines so you dont keep dumping fuel in the bad one
im glad you like yours but this is sure to change once the "new boat" novelty thing wears off and its nothing but your ability to be on the water a lot to turn a buck and a detroit is a poor choice to achieve this

WTF is wrong with you? This is a thread about loving theese old mills. Not a thread about shit talking somones boat because you don't agree with them. Have some fucking respect.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I just checked the url to see if I stumbled on to THT reading this thread. It's a shame that I confirmed that this really is the DEBF...

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
I just checked the url to see if I stumbled on to THT reading this thread. It's a shame that I confirmed that this really is the DEBF...

n-n-n-n-n-nailed it.

Be careful around those who frequent that site. I made the mistake of going back a few months ago for the Jim Smith thread, and now that it has died back down I need to delete it from my favorites again.

It's sad, but that is the eventual fate of many of these types of websites. Things only stay gold for so long.....

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I like this site because things like this don't get moderated!

I'll say this. The "comment" to Helen was the 1st I've seen on this forum.
Hopefully the last.

I enjoy this forum for a bunch of reasons.

The 1st reason, this is where I (we) learn (dream) about DE boats, what can work, what won't work, thinking out-of-the-box etc.
The 2nd reason, I (we) can share info/experiences accumulated over the years to help resolve problems.
The 3rd reason, camaraderie. Many many members here have become friends without ever meeting and meeting, personally helped each other out, offered/provided/arranged sea trials and much more.
The 4th reason. This forum is fun. You can offer your opinion or experience and nobody beats you up even if they don't agree.
The 5th reason. Light hearted "poking/picking on/etc. is followed with a :D
The 6th reason. This forum has not gone down the path of THT, yet!:rolleyes:

Hopefully this forum stays as it has ! Fun, informative, no bashing!

FWIW

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Sorry for the swearing guys. That just really pissed me off. A lot of us do the best with what we have and thats all we can do in this life.

The guy bought and old boat and spent a very long time busting his butt restoring her which he shared on THT and here (how I found this great forum actually and havent been on THT since I dont think)

For someone to come on here and tear into him about the boat just got under my skin. Let alone causing this thread to go sideways for BS.

Top Bottom