What is the meaning of your username ?

Isle of Shoal

Lieutenant
First Name
William
My surname Scholl has been frequently misspelled my entire life so Isle of Shoal is a play on words from the Isles of Shoals.

isle:​

small island:
Not to be confused or misspelled with:
aisle – A passageway: LOL Isles of Shoals Nautical Chart.png

Detra

Lieutenant
Boat Make
23 Crowley Beal
Sorry in advance for long story. My grandfather "Ed" and his buddy "Art" schemed as kids to create a sporting goods company in order to buy wholesale fishing tackle. They named their enterprise Detra Sporting goods, each of their names backwards. This worked, WWII intervened, and when he returned he opened a real sporting goods business with 2 locations. He was successful and everybody assumed his name was Eddie Detra. He quit the business in 1968 or so and became a dedicated grandfather taking us kids fishing and hunting all over New England. I adopted Detra in honor of him.

Door#3

Lieutenant
Door#3

This was lifted from a Jimmy Buffet song about the game show Let's Make A Deal. It goes like this "My whole world lies waiting behind Door#3."

But, much to the chagrin of my wife multiple Tuna fishermen have informed me on VHF while off shore that they interpreted my boat name as a reference to a_n_a_l sex. She's now sorry she nixed the name Kathee Anne LOL.

Roccus

Lieutenant
Old Latin name for striped bass and character in a favorite book as a kid, The Shining Tides.

fine&dandy

Ensign
My father was a Marine in WWII, made the initial landing on Guadalcanal, Bougainville in the S. Pacific. After the war he was in car accident, pronounced dead at the scene. Growing up, anytime someone would ask my father "How ya doing John".... Fine & Dandy! was his response everytime.
Seemed like the handshakes would last 10 minutes. That generation had an appreciation for life and each other that seems to be lost in today's world.

Top Bottom