What model Northstar ??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
What model Northstar GPS's/Plotters do you guys think were the best ?? I've only had the 951/952's and i sure like how easy they are to work. So any of the later models better ??? I remember from the old Loran A days those big blue boxes with the glowing red numbers that were the Northstar Lorans.:D

MBILL

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy&Duffy
I have the Northstar 6000i. 10" display at the lower station, 8" display on the upper station. I find it to be a very good unit (knock on wood!).
Mine are mounted on open brackets.
These units had a big problem with heat if you flush mounted them. The units would overheat and shutdown if there wasn't a ton of ventilation behind them. Everyone I know that's flush mounted has had the problem.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
The newer northstars are kind of all easy to use the 6000/6100 and the 940-952 are all similar to use I love the 6100 but there all great but I have olny used as GPS plotter not other stuff

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Ive got a 951, used a a couple of 6000i's on other peoples boats. I also have two standard horizons. they are great machines. But i find all Northstars to be the most user friendly. Just MO

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I like the 951, but a weakness is the buttons. I've worn out the "position" button a couple of times in just a few years switching from the numbers to the plot screen and from the course screen back to either.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
If you need antenna's you can get them for $30 on Ebay... I just got one and installed it. My last antenna would literally turn off at night??? I do not get it... I have a 952 and a couple buttons to go.

One thing that worries me is I do not believe I can get an updated charter for it and bouys are moving around a bunch...

I had a 6000i and really liked it but heard lots of issues with heat I think with them, mine finally died... Replaced it with a NSE8.

captcod

Lieutenant
H O N D E X , as easy to use but alot better all around, antenna , charts are better and black box can be run through computer

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Can someone show me where to buy a H O N D E X with prices and features? I believe I never even found their website with brochures or anything... Found like a simple listing... sure talk to Joe at xyz but still like to see it.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
If you need antenna's you can get them for $30 on Ebay... I just got one and installed it. My last antenna would literally turn off at night??? I do not get it... I have a 952 and a couple buttons to go.

One thing that worries me is I do not believe I can get an updated charter for it and bouys are moving around a bunch...

I had a 6000i and really liked it but heard lots of issues with heat I think with them, mine finally died... Replaced it with a NSE8.

Can't ya just run up next to the buoys and hit the MOB button to mark the buoys on the chart you already have ?? When i fished the Copper River the only markers/buoys were the ones we put in ourselves, trees jetted into the mud :D, we'd take a collection up for the "buoy fund" and pay for one of the guys to go out to mark the channels, the channels went dry on low tide but running across them at high water could save up to a couple of extra hours running time.

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
952X is my go to, have 2 in use on the boat and currently have 2 or 3 spare units in the house..... and no I wont part with them

captcod

Lieutenant
Bill at Land and Sea on hockum rock road in dennis always has a few units on hand at his shop and has brochures with pictures and such. i have 3 hondex plotters and 2 sounders and love them. one of the plotters is "black box" through a 12 volt 19 inch screen and it is awesome and i just installed a 17 inch hondex sounder with a airmar transducer and fairing block and it is really nice also

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
Started with a 941 on the 42' and then upgraded to the 952 and then added a 10" 6000i. Put the marks on the 6000i and use the 952 to run phantom TD's. keep a navigation chart in the 05s and a bathymetric chart on the 6000i.

Put a 12" 6000i on the 35 Duffy.

Both 6000i"s are integrated with the radar so I can overlay the radar onto the plotter screen. Northstar used to have a service center just outside of Boston and had the face plat changed once and they gave me a loaner. Bent pins on the 6000i changing charts and it had to be sent to San Diego and then across the border to be fixed, took about 2 weeks door to door. Great machines

monktails

Lieutenant
Loran has been off for 4 years if you were smart you calibrated your northstar etc. before the shut off. If not find someone who did and check your numbers.

Top Bottom