What to build/ buy ?????

Morning Tauk

Lieutenant
Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to the forum and Down East style boats as a whole.

I currently own a 26steiger which I use for small charters and fishing out of Gloucester Ma. Love the boat, but like everyone want to go bigger :) !!

If you had 270k to spend....Want a fishing machine, yet at the same time make it comfortable (not fancy,) for the family trips/wife etc....What would you suggest ???????
(Galley/head/shower/Tuna door/top line electronics a must)

Thank you all in advance for any advice....

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Here's your boat!

From our For Sale section from Forum member Stinkpot. I wish I had the resources to buy this boat!

http://downeastboatforum.com/free-c...ale-wanted/36-calvin-beal-3418.html#post30004

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Morning Tauk

Lieutenant
Beautiful boat !! I was under the impression that is more than 250-270K all included?

I am looking for 32-36ft range, and if that is in the price range (BRAND NEW) my search is over :)

Last edited:

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I agree with mousetrap. Thats a nice hybrid of both worlds, and wont suck your wallet dry with fuel expenses.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Beautiful boat !! I was under the impression that is more than 250-270K all included?

I am looking for 32-36ft range, and if that is in the price range (BRAND NEW) my search is over :)

You can buy this one used in your price range. To build another new... add another $100K+++

It is with a very heavy hear that I post this, but if you know of anyone looking...

2004 36’ Calvin Beal $268,000

Morning Tauk

Lieutenant
It is beautiful. I am hoping to take on my own project of building one though. I am hoping that for 270k this is possible for a 32-34ft boat. If not, then I will look used.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
It is beautiful. I am hoping to take on my own project of building one though. I am hoping that for 270k this is possible for a 32-34ft boat. If not, then I will look used.

If you do all the work yourself? You could have a 38' Calvin Beal with 500hp JohnDeere, 32" prop, huge cabin, huge deck, top speed of 22 knots, built basic but comfortable for under $270k. Most guys can't do all the work themselves, so if that's the case, get a 34'x13' Calvin Beal "kit" for $141,000, install a 420hp Iveco 6.7 liter (engine and trans under $40,000), it would be a fast, economical, big, comfortable boat and you would have less than $270,000 into it, if you didn't go crazy on the finish and outfitting. You could probably jump up to the 36' Calvin Beal kit for $148,000, install the same 420hp Iveco 6.7, do the finish yourself and still be under $270,000. If you have the tools, shop, knowledge, patience, time, and your marriage can handle it, then do a lot of the work yourself. If not, then buy a slightly used boat that is as good as new for under $270,000.

Morning Tauk

Lieutenant
Sorry for the confusion...I meant plan and watch the work be done :) lol.

I am good at putting the beer on the boat, not the rest!!

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to the forum and Down East style boats as a whole.

I currently own a 26steiger which I use for small charters and fishing out of Gloucester Ma. Love the boat, but like everyone want to go bigger :) !!

If you had 270k to spend....Want a fishing machine, yet at the same time make it comfortable (not fancy,) for the family trips/wife etc....What would you suggest ???????
(Galley/head/shower/Tuna door/top line electronics a must)

Thank you all in advance for any advice....

A marlin blue hull and an eggshell top OEM42

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Last edited:

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
There have been a number of 38 Calvin Beals built with JD 9 liter 500hp, 2.5:1 reduction, and they have all topped out at 22-23 knots. Fishin Fever, do you have any pictures of your 38 CB?

Tumblehome

Lieutenant Commander
There have been a number of 38 Calvin Beals built with JD 9 liter 500hp, 2.5:1 reduction, and they have all topped out at 22-23 knots. Fishin Fever, do you have any pictures of your 38 CB?

I'm no expert, but have been on a few 38 Calvins up here. Speed demons they are not. Regardless of HP. Too much beam to be fast once loaded up with typical gear.

Boat Make
Jarvis Newman 36
There is a very nice Holland 38 -Pumpkin III on yacht world. Another option might be a rebuild. I know Flowers is doing one, and Farrin's Boat Shop is doing ours. (we are very pleased with the work) I am guessing some other great builders might be willing to take on this type of project. Many on this site. The rebuild saves and recycles an old hull and you do not need to purchase a new engine. You get what you want and might save some $ if you can find the right boat to recondition. Flowers is doing a Rebco 37 on this site you can check it out. Ours is posted too. Just a thought. Good luck with your search and decision. It should be fun process no matter what you decide. Lots of good advice and different opinions on this site.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom