What to use for a visor ??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I want to make a visor to my cabin top, what should i make it out of ? foam, nida core or make a mold and make the top solid glass and form in a edge to it to make it look thicker on the profile ??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Guess nobody has a opinion:rolleyes: ! I messed around with some cardboard today and i think it will make a world of difference on how the house looks. So do i make it a shorter visor or do i make it "proud" ??
short version
20130718_114849[1].jpg
long version
20130718_115353[1].jpg

20130718_114849[1].jpg

20130718_115353[1].jpg

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
I was lurking waiting for an answer! Besides, after watching your split house build process, I would have been asking YOU about building the visor.

I have a short visor on the Sisu,not much more than a bit of overhang really. It is just glass over a core (balsa I assume.) If I replace the roof, I would probably extend it a bit more. I like the look but it isn't doing much in the way of sunshine if you are looking for practicality.

I have seen a couple that I like that round off just slightly and taper in at the outboard ends.

dscf8785-edit-edit.jpg

dscf8775.jpg

If you are gonna be a bear, be a grizzly. Go big.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks on the split house project ! Yeah my house doesn't hang any overhangs on the sides but i don't want to get into adding them. I'll keep messing with the cardboard till i get what i like then just go ahead and glass up something, foam or nida guess it doesn't make much of a difference, shit i might just use roofing foam !!
That rig of yours has some nice lines, get it rigged up nice for those cages and go to work.
Steve

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I like short but have to assume the longer is more practical? However the short I like as if I have to get ontop of the wheelhouse I am not to far out on a limb!

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
33 uniflite (old capt gig), 26 shamrock, 15 skiff, 21 beach dory
Aren't you guys worried about dipping your bow if it ever happens that's a lot of lift

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Thanks on the split house project ! Yeah my house doesn't hang any overhangs on the sides but i don't want to get into adding them. I'll keep messing with the cardboard till i get what i like then just go ahead and glass up something, foam or nida guess it doesn't make much of a difference, shit i might just use roofing foam !!
That rig of yours has some nice lines, get it rigged up nice for those cages and go to work.
Steve

Thanks Steve. I do really like the lines and bones of this boat and am balancing how much refitting I want to do until after the season ends. This summer is more make-do than rigged right! I am looking forward to getting her rigged proper and put back together this winter.

I like short but have to assume the longer is more practical? However the short I like as if I have to get ontop of the wheelhouse I am not to far out on a limb!

It's true- I can scramble easily up the front of the wheelhouse past that little overhang. I suppose a big visor would be make that a bit harder.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

offshore31

Captain
I've got a visor on my 31 bhm that looks very similar to that. i'll be at the boat sunday, i'll try and take a couple of pictures of it if you want. I believe that mine's made of glass over airex, but i'll check.

Joe

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I would think you could use s core material like Nidacore to make it, hot glueing it together enough to get its shape then glass one side st a time.
Not sure they make Nidacore thinner than 1/2 though.
Maybe make it out of 1/4 Luann then glass over ?

I think i saw some 3/8" nida at the fiberglass supply shop when i was there. I've thought of just making a masonite mold to lay up a solid glass panel for the top of the visor then using some 1x2 foam hot glued to the bottom & glassed over to make the top have a thicker profile. I think i'll glass in a couple of gussets on the bottom to make it stronger ?? The way you guys are worried about green water over the windows maybe i should also be thinking about glassing in a wave break up on the trunk ??:eek:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM

I think somewhere between the 2 sizes is going to work.

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
Steve, Even though I leaned my windshield forward I still wanted a visor. It was built as an integral part of my canopy but protrudes about 6-8 inches further than the house top. I love it. I also gave the canopy a little overhang on both sides with an upward extension from front to back which acts like a gutter and hand grab. Water drains off the aft end and mostly over the side. It also protects my running lights from damage. My entire canopy was built out of 1/2" penske board and 2 guys can get up there and walk around (so long as they're <225# and don't jump up and down!)LOL
Gussets were not necessary because it was not an add on. Green water is NOT a problem as it runs off the crown of the trunk cabin and off the boat. Bigger is better IMO....you can always cut off but adding on is harder to do. Just my .02....Jo;)

2010_0303SeaDancerToo0016.JPG

Last edited:

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
Looks like you have a nice finish on your molded top still, just tape and mask it off and wax it up good. You can lay one up right on your top out of just glass, bring it down the sides a couple inches to give it a thicker look. That's what my builder did for mine, he glassed mine on but it could have been bolted on also.

Top Bottom