Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
If the trailer has brakes and the tounge weight doesn't exceed the trucks t
ow rating id go for it. But 1/2 ton is a bit small. Unless its just local.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Alison Tuna

Captain
Boat Make
Privateer
The trailer has surge brakes and its a dual axle. Ramp is 1 mike from my house. I don't care about the one mile but I am looking at the ramp n making sure my truck will tow it up a ramp.

Maybe I should look at a 250 or 2500 series truck instead?

pugsley

Captain
The trailer has surge brakes and its a dual axle. Ramp is 1 mike from my house. I don't care about the one mile but I am looking at the ramp n making sure my truck will tow it up a ramp.

Maybe I should look at a 250 or 2500 series truck instead?

a 1500 will definitely pull it, shouldn't have a problem with the ramp, but ramps are all different. i have a friend who pulled his 24 morgan with a 4cyl dodge dakota for years.

that being said it's hard to beat 4x4 in ramps, you don't have to use it, but it's nice to know it's there.

Jangles

Lieutenant Commander
For a mile drive, the ability to accelerate with traffic and fuel economy considerations are null and void. That leaves stopping. If brakes are good or it's flat ground with little traffic, there isn't much to be worried about.

Be mindful of the load weighing more than the vehicle. This, from my experience, is a key turning point in the feel of the tow.

I tow equipment and trailers as part of my commercial operations. With a late model F250 (srw v8), as long as I'm not dealing with highways or significant hills, I can pull 12k+, but it requires extra attention. Anything up to about 4k I don't have to think much about..

You can pull that with anything on a truck chassis. Full-size SUV would do it... I've got a 4runner which I wouldn't want to climb hills with, but a 30mph jaunt down the road is no problem.

I would favor something with 4wd - definitely. Slick ramps are trouble.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
You should be fine, take your time and have a good tow strap ready in case you need to double up and have another rig help you up the ramp.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I've towed up to a 26 general marine with a 1500. You'll be fine.

4breezes

Lieutenant
Can your truck tow the load, get it rolling down the road? Probably, with no great problem. Can your truck stop the trailer with that load, from whatever speed you're driving? That's the more important question. If your stopping distance doubles you've got to adjust your driving habits. Can your truck control the load in all maneuvers?

The aspect which nobody has mentioned is legality. Each and every truck has towing and weight specs published by the manufacturer. If you're towing a load outside those specs, and you have an accident of any sort, you're dead in the water. The accident will automatically be deemed your fault. Things will go downhill from there very quickly. It won't matter what you've done to upgrade your truck's ability to handle the load, the police and the courts will say, "It's a C1500, it's registered as a C1500, and you're overloaded for a C1500." Consider the liability of the matter. Will your insurance company cover you in the event of an accident with an overloaded and illegal truck? Chances are they'll say, "I'm sorry, sir, but you were towing an illegal load, outside the published limitations. We won't cover you when you're illegal."

So, know what you can legally tow, know what the weight distributions must be, and then be sure that all systems on the truck are mechanically up to the job.

Last edited:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Ford F150 3.5L 4V DOHC V6 EcoBoost... 365 hp and 420 lb.-ft. of torque.
Tow rating = 11,300 pounds... and over 20 mpg highway (when not towing)

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
1/2 ton truck, you're not going far. You don't want to eat the fuel mileage of the 3/4 ton truck all year long.

Top Bottom