What would you do ?

Rockasauras

Captain
Looking to buy this rig and noticed transducer bedding washed out of high speed ducer block. Not really a fan of these blocks. Would you remove and re-bed the transducer. Looks like 5200 to me ? What do you think ?

IMG_1933.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Looking to buy this rig and noticed transducer bedding washed out of high speed ducer block. Not really a fan of these blocks. Would you remove and re-bed the transducer. Looks like 5200 to me ? What do you think ?
Not a great photo to really judge the problem. Most likely it was boat life & not 5200. I would CAREFULLY remove the ducer & see what you are dealing with. Clean the contact area well & maybe just a re-bed with 5200 material. I am not a big fan of reusing ducers as the install is more work than the value of the ducer. Maybe a new ducer is the way to go.

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
Is it leaking? Is there a rotten plywood spacer up inside? If not, caulk it.

Bawugna

Lieutenant
suggestion and question

This may be a rediculous suggestion coupled with a dumb question, but what about simply molding up a fiberglass fairing block from the one that is there now. I did that a while ago and have not had to worry about the fairing block again. The original block was wood from original manufacture. That is my suggestion.

My question to the gurus here is....is what I have done over the years a wise thing.....I have replaced almost some of the wood mounting blocks and spacers both inside and outside the hull with fiberglass molded parts copied off the original wood ones. I have changed the transducer fairing block, strut spacer/fairing block outside and laid up a fiberglass replacement for the wood backing block inside the hull where the strut attaches. I have not had need to change out the wood block at the rudder post inside the hull, but have thought about it and it is in the "plan". Have I done something wrong by the replacement of these parts?

Rockasauras

Captain
...had forwarded pictures over to my electronics man, he stated it was an "ugly installation" and should never had washed out like this if done properly. He suggested that it may need to be removed and possibly replaced. Both the block and the 1kw transducer...also to look closely on inside to make sure water was not sneaking in creating additional issues.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
The JC I'm looking at has a pad like that on each side of the keel. The back of the transducer ia mounted to that flat face and that joint is packed with sealant. Not sure if it's silicone or 5200 but the only hole thru the hull is for the stem. I've seen it done the same way with the high speed faring block.

Top Bottom