What's it take to care for a wooden boat like this?

MAArcher

Commander

This just seams like a beautiful boat for a good price. I'm assuming that's because its wood? What does that mean to a novice boat owner?

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Cool Boat

Commander
My 1980's vintage 28' Herreshoff Rozininante is cedar on oak. Everything on it is holding up very well as the cockpit is covered with a good rain cover and the entire boat gets good ventilation. Keeping rain out is important. Some of today's sought after new lobster boats are a wood hull with glass decks/cabins. A couple of years ago we did some upgrades to our Rozinante to correct some previous planking repairs (above the waterline) that were not done right and we put a whole new coosa/glass deck on it (pictures on the forum) to replace the plywood over cedar deck. The boat didn't have to have the work done, but I wanted to take the grandsons out and I wanted the boat in excellent condition that shows pride of ownership. I mention this as I would expect this boat to now be ready to go another 20 years with just painting. The Herreshoff pedigree also assures a solid resale market with the wooden versions costing more than the fiberglass versions that were poorly built and did not hold up. The great looking lobster boat needs a survey by a competent wooden boat surveyor to get a good handle on the structure and more importantly a good volvo engine surveyor. A wooden boat is a collection of pieces of wood and can easily outlive owners if designed properly and given care as needed. It can also allow one to get into a great looking boat for less money, and not look like every other boat that came out of a factory. I would have zero hesitation in looking at the boat, but would get the surveys done, and consider any repair costs in any offer that was made. Ironically, the fiberglass downeast style hull I am currently redoing has some micro cracks in the hull bottom where it appears to have been put on a roller trailer at some point. Repairing that will be more of a pain than than replacing a plank for me. Wood does have some positives.

MAArcher

Commander
What would be intelligent questions to ask the seller to start? What is the maintenance above and beyond a glass boat? How often does it have to be done and what's the cost?

Realistically this boat is probably just too big for me. Dock space is by the foot and I assume hauling and transport costs are all by the foot as well, on top of whatever added maintenance costs of it being a wooden hull, probably put it beyond me means due to high annual costs of ownership.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

MAArcher

Commander
Sand, prime, paint above waterline annually. Scrap and paint bottom annual. Other stuff is on an “as needed” basis. New plank or two here or there. You can count on minor surgery every 5 years (10 to 20k) a major surgery every 10 to 20 years (30 to 50k).
Well I don't know what constitutes "surgery", but costs like that put me out of the wooden boat game pretty quick!

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
You can do all of the work on a wooden boat in your own backyard. Everybody has basic woodworking tools.

Cool Boat

Commander
What would be intelligent questions to ask the seller to start? What is the maintenance above and beyond a glass boat? How often does it have to be done and what's the cost?

Realistically this boat is probably just too big for me. Dock space is by the foot and I assume hauling and transport costs are all by the foot as well, on top of whatever added maintenance costs of it being a wooden hull, probably put it beyond me means due to high annual costs of ownership.
Great points on size and dockage, etc. The boat I'm working on will be on a trailer to save those costs and free up its use for on the Chesapeake and the Atlantic as desired.

novivin

Captain
see if you can get insurance on a wooden boat and then sit down when they tell you what it will cost. Just buy a nice glass boat !!
I could not even insure a wood boat. That means no slips, storage yards etc... some towns no mooring either. As in, the insurance companies would not underwrite. I tried many. All the top suggestions by those on this forum.
If people didn’t act irresponsibly all us responsible ones could have more fun.
Still, in MA, there is no law requiring us to insure. But, when you are not it limits your boating potential severely.

the_Bartender

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
35 Bruno
You also need to check if your local boatyard will haul a wooden boat. Several yards refuse to haul them. If they do you are asked to sign waivers and other documents in case the boat "breaks" on the hard.

leaky

Vice Admiral
They are not necessarily that hard or expensive to maintain, I have spent a lot of time around an old 50 ft wooden carolina boat. The owner rarely has to do anything major hull wise.

The problem is if you don't fully understand wood boats, have faith in them based on your experience, have the time and motivation to keep up, they are going to be expensive (to have someone else work on them) or dangerous (if you ignore it like one might a glass boat).

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

leaky

Vice Admiral
Yes but Dave (I think that is the wooden boat your talking about) knows wooden boats. He is good friends with the Lowell’s that have passed him a lot of knowledge. Dave is also the hardest worker I know. He makes my 50+ hour weeks look like a part timer.

Yes Joe has been over to his boat on a number of occasions, but he also grew up around some wood boats. Getting into them "cold" is a terrible idea unless someone just wants a project, even with expert assistance it would be really hard if one can't work off some experience.

Top Bottom