Whats the biggest FRP Downeaster made ?

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
I think 50' is right...Wesmac. Others are the Duffy 48', Jarvis Newman 46', H&H 47'. Dixon builds some bigger boats but I can't tell what their standard lengths are, seems like they build anything for anyone up there.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Wesmac lengthend their 50' to a 57' a few years ago. The thing looked monstrous, and was for sale shortly after launch. I read somewhere that it wasn't as efficient as the guy had hoped so he built a 46' instead. I assume someone bought the 57'.....

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Do DMR's count? I've got a 56- hard chined and twin screw. But I don't really think of it as a true downeaster. She's been a great boat for us though and a wonderfully efficient hull. The 56's are a lot narrower than the bigger DMR's. I know a Wesmac looks like a traditional lobster boat on the surface, but below the water line, it's a bit different.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Downeaster,i also say 55 Bruno or 50 Duffy....both not that popular..my buddy Ralph had a Duffy out of montauk called the Polar Bear

31jcptown

Commander
Boat Make
91 31 JC P-Town
I know the Polar Bear well have made coutless trips on that boat I have know Ralph since Im about 10 years old That is 1 of the best down east boats ever built SLOWWWWWW as hell but 1 hell of a boat...

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Wesmac lengthend their 50' to a 57' a few years ago. The thing looked monstrous, and was for sale shortly after launch. I read somewhere that it wasn't as efficient as the guy had hoped so he built a 46' instead. I assume someone bought the 57'.....
I recall the event but the story circulating at the time was excessive fuel burn. A ridiculous explanation for someone with pockets deep enough to have commissioned that build in the first place. The boat was then offered for sale on the used boat market with a much smaller engine than the original. I never heard that she sold and, if that's so, someone could probably steal this problem in this (used boat) market.

I'm hoping to one day get the real story behind all of this.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Downester,i guess a good circular saw and some time could shorten her up again...but she probably had twins and thats a whole other disaster

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
I recall the event but the story circulating at the time was excessive fuel burn. A ridiculous explanation for someone with pockets deep enough to have commissioned that build in the first place. The boat was then offered for sale on the used boat market with a much smaller engine than the original. I never heard that she sold and, if that's so, someone could probably steal this problem in this (used boat) market.

I'm hoping to one day get the real story behind all of this.
Do you know what the original engine was? I think I saw a listing where the engine was a 700HP Iveco. Every story I've heard about the 50' Wesmac hull is that her hull speed is 20, maybe 21kts and if you give it any more throttle once you hit 20 (if you have any left) you're going to burn more fuel but not gain any speed. Wonder if lengthening the hull was supposed to "fix" that problem.

richardh

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
to many
The 57 wecmac has a 700 lugger in her and all the stuff to make her a 900hp. Its out of Harpswell tom clemons has it he finished her off.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Downester,i guess a good circular saw and some time could shorten her up again...but she probably had twins and thats a whole other disaster
Do you know what the original engine was? I think I saw a listing where the engine was a 700HP Iveco. Every story I've heard about the 50' Wesmac hull is that her hull speed is 20, maybe 21kts and if you give it any more throttle once you hit 20 (if you have any left) you're going to burn more fuel but not gain any speed. Wonder if lengthening the hull was supposed to "fix" that problem.
I'm fairly certain that she originally had a single C18 Cat with the recreational rating of 1000+ hp. This is the same engine used in the Flowers 38 thread (over 50 g.p.h. at full chat, or, put another way, $250/hour).

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Doesn't the 50/57 Wesmac have about three more feet of beam compared to a 42/46? Never seen a 50 except in pictures. There is a 46 down here though.

Top Bottom