What's the closest to shore, in northeastern Mass or New Hampshire, that you've caught a shark?

MAArcher

Captain
Just wondering if you can catch them within a couple miles from shore anywhere between Gloucester and Portsmouth.

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
Coming back from the fingers (south of the vineyard) dumped the chum and leftover bait. Got within a few miles from nomans and a big mako jumps out out just ahead of the boat. Looked down at the cooler and said grab the albacore. Crew said nope so I had had pizza that day.

MAArcher

Captain
About a mile off of Plum Island. I could hear the people on the beach.
Awesome. What are the details? Time of year, bait, etc. Where you fishing there for sharks on purpose or did you just happen upon one? One time dumb luck type deal?

Ripcat

Commander
I wasn't targeting them. Drifting around tuna wishing, whales were in tight so i was in tight. Big poorbeagle...i don't even remember was the bait was. I don't believe that's all that unique, especially for beagles. I fish the 180 line quite a bit and i don't think i've ever fished there without catching a shark at some point in my trip. Usually after dark is when the little beagles start assaulting your gear. I wish it was a one time dump luck thing...i don't like sharks and don't ever target them.

finaddict

Lieutenant Commander
Website
stores.ebay.com
Boat Make
Nauset
Inside the 180 line off Rockport and Ipswich Bay - blues, porbegle, threshers. Some small porbeagles, Newcombs ledge off Beverly

fat2nawilly

Commander
I hooked a white shark about 100 yards off the beach one time fishing for bluefish, dam thing ate my umbrella rig on the wire lol it was a interesting morning for sure. After about 30 minutes I finally got enough of my wire back to cut him loose lol

jap201

Lieutenant
mako on the 30 fathom curve by rockport. but they're in MUCH closer

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Jim
Boat Make
23’ Palmetto Custom CC
5’ blue shark 100 yards off 2KR at the mouth of the Piscataqua this past august picking mackerel off my sabiki. I wouldn’t have believed it unless I saw it boat side. I was thankful it didn’t actually hold onto the hook and just stole the fish off the rig. Have to say it’s probably the most unexpected thing I’ve seen in that close

Top Bottom