Whats the closest to shore you've ever caught a tuna?

MAArcher

Captain
I have a video a friend sent me from 2 years ago of a giant chasing pogies in 6’ of water, could see the fish clearly. It was shallow enough where you can see his tail pushing sand on the bottom. Wont let me post the video? No clue how either.
You can join youtube and then post a link.

toolmaker

Commander
Just wondering. I heard a story about tuna feeding inside the jetties at the mouth of the Merrimack River and was wondering if it might be true. I know zero about tuna fishing.

It was Labor Day weekend 1984 while bass fishing at Old Silas Rock on deep side as you swing back east, just south of the rock at the first of the ebb tide while on the Makaria with the great Captain Bill Cramer, and yes, we caught a dozen or so 50 pound class school yellow fin on wire line bass gear. They were there that day, why, who knows ? but what they loved that day was the brown and tan jigs that Bill made to represent bunker we were using that day for the strip bass. On that once in a life time epic day our secret was we had red and white Uncle Josh 7 inch long pork rinds as trailers on the hooks. I remember the pork rinds vividly, in fact as if it was this morning because Captain Bill had just given me the business because I had the pork rind upside down, but oh how the yellow fin loved that presentation and Captain Bill quickly forgot that I had the red and white pork rind up side down. Oh yes, back to the original question: how close to land. Well if I had to guess Old Silas Rock is maybe 2 miles from the western point of Plum Island [the Govt Plum Island] and maybe 2 miles east of the eastern end of Great Gull, almost in the center of the Sluiceway. Other than that all of my other tuna fish have been caught way beyond the sight of land. Captain Jay

Reelman955

Commander
First Name
Roy
Boat Make
New Boat 2015 24 Seaway w/115 Mercury Command Thrust/ Old Boat-2007 28 Seaworthy/BHM 315 Yanmar
Spring 2020 had them in 50-60ft 1-2 miles off Long Island South Shore.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Fishonnelsons

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

Fishonnelsons

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

dougpfeffer1

Ensign
First Name
doug
Caught them many times 1/4 mile off Nauset Beach near Chatham and Orleans on trolled Squid spreader bars. Think I only caught one giant in close but lots of smaller fish.

SUBH2OHNTR

Ensign
Well I live in Florida and I don’t have any tuna fishing experience but my small town has a fish story. This 525 pound bluefin was captured in a newly excavated canal in 1970. I have customers that live on this canal and it is about 300 yards from the open gulf. Water is really shallow in our area so this fish was definitely lost, 5 miles offshore puts you in about 10ft of water

294B7753-958C-4975-AD6E-AE8B9B2EFCC2.png

C0007F56-3239-4721-83BB-0D584FDEE0EE.png

SUBH2OHNTR

Ensign
They mounted the head and it’s hanging in one of our local restaurants, I have some friends here from out of town and we may go there tonight, If we do I’ll get a pic

Aloop

Lieutenant Commander
Early '90s, a tuna swam into Town Cove in Orleans then ended up tail roped by a guy mowing his backyard. There are articles on the web of tuna that were spotted in freshwater rivers in NC and even the mighty Thames in London England.

Flatline

Lieutenant
In 40 feet very close to beach during the Herring run between Montauk and Shinnecock in early December

Rockasauras

Captain
Caught a YELLOWFIN 9 miles off OCMD trolling in on one engine. Had lost a motor in the deep and limping in on one for hours with a hard heavy Green Machine in tow at 13 kts. When the tuna hit it we had forgot about the lure we had out and the sound was unlike anything we’ve heard. Especially at that speed. Landed the fish weighing in at 58 lbs.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
I know Joe Eldridge landed one inside the canal back in the 60’s. He hooked up just outside the ditch, but worked into the east end and put on a show and gaffed it in front of all the people on the bulkhead.
Good way to book a bunch of charters.

Jamato14

Lieutenant
First Name
Jim
Boat Make
23’ Palmetto Custom CC
Two years ago surfcasting from the Parker river reservation so a few jumping at the mouth off plum island. Last year was heading towards plum island in June from the north, was about two miles off the beach trolling in for stripers heading to a spot a friend gave me and had two medium/large giants crash 100 yards off my bow. By the time I thought about casting into them they disappeared and didn’t see or mark them the rest of the day. I only had striper gear on board so was glad I didn’t get a cast or they didnt hit what I was trolling on my small Ltd.

A few times this year heard of or saw tuna fleets off hampton shoal. Don’t know if any fish were taken but they’ve at least been seen inside recently and people trying for them.

slow troller

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Fortier 26
I know Joe Eldridge landed one inside the canal back in the 60’s. He hooked up just outside the ditch, but worked into the east end and put on a show and gaffed it in front of all the people on the bulkhead.
Good way to book a bunch of charters.
Wow!!! Jay I recall that catch. Joe on the Striper correct?

Quik Fix 16

Captain
Boat Make
Shamrock
A few years ago, maybe 5, there was a blue fin caught in 3' of water behind my house. Bogue sound, N.C. I'm sure you could find the story if you searched. Apparently had some brain disease.

Top Bottom