What's your choice for striper terminal tackle? Only pick one. (Ok rank them one, two, three if you have too)

toolmaker

Commander
Well as this thread started, "What's your choice" . Don't over think it their both black. :p

Can i say that. ;)

inside out or right side out is a good question !!!!!!!!!!
so here is what I did but it was a extremely tough sell to Capt Cramer and I mean a tough sell
12 years ago we hit a stretch where the bass were little guys and that was encouraging for the fishery
BUT we needed to catch and release a few big ones just to be sure we hadn't lost it
nothing was working so at the witching hour out came the old skins and ancient rigs
on dacron with trolling weights, stiffer trolling rods and wide spool 113 Penn's
we were fishing the deep west side of RACE ROCK, fast water and the trolling weights were 16 once
and from our old records of seasons past the big ones should have been there but we didn't catch
to me during that period of time the water just seemed darker than usual
so I rigged up some chemiluminescence light balls like the breakable light sticks the kids play with
I used 5 pound mono, super glued them together at various lengths and inserted the light string onto the skin
and tied the string off to the rig, squished the light balls and we had electric eels !
using the 5 pound mono to construct the multi light string had no influence on the skin
oh yes, the skin was right side out
after much debate with Capt Cramer into the deep went Mr. eel all electrified if you will
we swung around RACE ROCK into the tide with approx 400 foot of dacron out and a 16 oz weight
and SMASH, the secret and old school deep water gear and skin rig was almost torn from my hands
needless to say Capt Cramer had a fit so I told him it was him who got the rig into the rocks !!
I had a sense that want true from the SMASH I experienced but for some reason I said what I said
when I brought the rig back in the 60 pound clear Ande leader was snapped and no rock rub evidence
by now Capt Cramer for the folks who know Bill can just picture the fit he was having on the bridge
fortunately I had made up a few of these light rigs but this time I used 100 pound pink Ande for my leader
out went the #2 rig and we lined up our land marks learned from the 1950's aided by all sorts of
electronics stuff and as I glanced back to the eastern tip of Fishers Island to verify the old land marks
SMASH, I had a beautiful bass on the first of few trophy's caught that morning
I say a few because thats what it was, just a few bass taken because whether its an ebb tide or a flood tide
it has been my experience that most big bass will take most of the skin with multi hooks and the mortality rate
is just to high for me to handle, so a few big ones it was and they were grilled up and made into chowder
another great memory for me of fishing and learning with and from the great Captain Bill Cramer
in fact I am going to give Bill a call this morning at the old age home he now lives at
Capt Jay

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
22-ft. Tripp Angler inboard
All the favorite rigs described in this thread do have a good history of working, and having confidence in what you use is vital for success. But, given that most people are not fishing live eels most of the time, is it just coincidence that live eels have taken more all-tackle record Striped Bass than any other rig or bait?

Charles Church 1913, drifting a live eel from a boat, off Nashawena Island, Masstts., 73 pounds

Record matched by Charlie Cinto 1967, trolling swimming plug, off Cuttyhunk Island, MA, 73 pounds

Bob Rochetta 1981, drifting a live eel from his boat, near Montauk, NY, 76 pounds

Al McReynolds 1982, casting a plug from the Vermont Avenue Jetty, Atlantic City, NJ 1982 78 ½ pounds

Gregory Myerson 2011, drifting a live eel from his boat, Long Island Sound, 81 pounds 14 ounces

Last edited:

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
Old Mud:

Yes, a lot of skillful maneuvering reported by Church about his boat-handler, both to hook the record fish and to boat it, all with a swell running.

One correction, though: his brother-IN-LAW.

In Charles Church’s own words:

“On August 17th, last past, in company with my brother-in-law, Carl F. Kraut, I started out in my 13 foot smack-boat to try my luck at striped-bass fishing.”

Sow & Pigs Reef is at the Western end of what George Eldridge in the 19th Century called the Vineyard Sound “Graveyard”. A lot of boulders, many with names.

My father and his buddy were fished by Cuttyhunk guide Bob Tilton in his 24-foot Ballantine in 1955. It was night-time and my father sensed they were in a shallow area and commented to the captain that there couldn’t have been much water under them. Tilton said that he might even be able to reach out and touch one of the rocks that were on either side of them.

They were in a sluiceway between the two rocks with the tide holding them in place, trolling fresh eel-skins. They did get some nice Bass.

graveyard.sowandpigs.edit.jpg

Codcruncher

Captain
Live eels was always my favorite bait...bumping bottom on a drift with the outgoing...keep a few in a bucket of ice to handle easy...night and day the way they hit the eels compared to chunk or dead bait

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
They would not have had fluorocarbon or Baitrunner reels, but these two ladies used live Mackerel for their record-breaking fish.

Each caught a women's world record Striped Bass within 20 minutes of each other.
Kay Townsend's fish was was 63 1/2 pounds and Rosa Webb's 64 1/2 pounds.

Caught at Truro on live Mackerel in 1960.

Each received Massachusetts Governor's Cups in the Winter 1961 from then Governor John Volpe for their record-breaking fish.

Photo taken in the Executive Offices of the State House on Beacon Hill, Boston.

rosa.webb.kay.townsend.jpg

gov.cup.1960.jpg

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Big black tube w/ white pork rind.
#2 White bucktail w/ red or blue pork

Last edited:

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Anyone like jigging spoons? I've never fished with them and I'm a little apprehensive about dangling $20-$40 on the end of my line, but it sounds like some guys have a lot of luck with them.

Top Bottom