where to go for an aluminum fuel tank northern MA to southern ME ?

leaky

Vice Admiral
Getting close to the time where I need to have the tank built for my 32 Holland, is basically an atop the deck tank in the ballpark of 7 X 2 X 2 ft with some deviations from a straight rectangle shape, in the 180 gallon range.

I think the easiest way to go at this is going to be to build a pattern out of plywood, sketch out fittings and all that, then put it in the truck & go drop it off to someone.

Where do you guys figure I should go, and any idea of a ballpark cost I should expect?

Since I'd be driving there would be nice to end up say someplace north of Boston and south of Portland, not a hard requirement just for sure not 2+ hours away.

Thanks in advance!

goin4broke

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
I had Luthers in RI build one for me. Price seemed reasonable although I had nothing to compare it to as I’m sure your aware of by now there aren’t many choices within driving range. As shipping will probably be off the charts right now. Turn around from signing off on the drawing to pick up was quick.

leaky

Vice Admiral
The other one I know of is Viking in NH, they do build fuel tanks but not sure if they will build just a tank.

leaky

Vice Admiral
I had Luthers in RI build one for me. Price seemed reasonable although I had nothing to compare it to as I’m sure your aware of by now there aren’t many choices within driving range. As shipping will probably be off the charts right now. Turn around from signing off on the drawing to pick up was quick.

Could you pm me the ballpark on cost, size, etc ? Be worth knowing if I go to someone else and its 2x expected.

I could totally drive to RI if need be.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I'm pretty sure Luther's has a van that routinely delivers fuel tanks to marinas in New England. They delivered mine to CT. It was a routine trip on the way to a marina in my area. As for the quality of their tanks, I can not speak highly enough........and I'm very fussy. The van might even meet you part way during a routine stop off at a marina in MA.

leaky

Vice Admiral
I'm pretty sure Luther's has a van that routinely delivers fuel tanks to marinas in New England. They delivered mine to CT. It was a routine trip on the way to a marina in my area. As for the quality of their tanks, I can not speak highly enough........and I'm very fussy. The van might even meet you part way during a routine stop off at a marina in MA.

Cool thanks - because I will have some angles and stuff involved in the tank, partly is just about getting the pattern to them too - but RI is not a big deal, I can drive there in 1.5 hours.

Transom on the Holland is curved, deck is pitched, transom is pitched yet not 90 degrees to the deck. Is a lot easier to build a pattern in place that fits just right then ask someone else to copy the pattern, probably easier for them too even.. That is other than dealing w/ the ~100 lb object :).

goin4broke

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Cost was 700.00 for 54 gallon or roughly 13 bucks a gallon for your estimating purposes. Course that was the end of 2019 and I'm sure Al has gone up since then like all other metals.

They did quote me 65 bucks to deliver. I was working within an hour plus so I opted to PU.

goin4broke

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
I'm with Keel on the quality as well. Welds are perfect and I'll bet I can jump on the thing and hardly dent it. Also important label provided with DOM, ser# and pressure test performed.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
I give Luther's kudos as well and have four of their tanks in my Albin. Albin Used Luther's for years to buld tanks.

Three 100 gallon fuel tanks each plumbed to the rear for equalization and one 66 gallon water tank. I've cut into the water tanks to put cleaning ports in and their weld work is clean. When I needed to find baffle locations before drilling and cutting I called them to see if they had any design info and within and hour PDF CAD drawings for my tanks arrived to my email.

As said, the tanks are solidly built and they sure were organized and very helpful.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Leaky,
Right around the corner from you is Wilson Welding on Rte 1 Salisbury.
Dan Wilson, his son and fab workers do great work and take care of the local boat fleet.
Dan has a beautiful 29 H&H with a pr of his aluminum tanks in it.
Swing by his place and check it out.
You never know if you'll have to make a trip or two for a final weld !:)

cb34

Rear Admiral
Another vote for Brother Wilson. If cost is a concern you may want to go with a rectangle. Being it is going above deck no real need for custom shape and 1/2 the cost.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Another vote for Brother Wilson. If cost is a concern you may want to go with a rectangle. Being it is going above deck no real need for custom shape and 1/2 the cost.

Basically the custom shape is about getting more fuel in there, want as much as I can fit up to around 200 - that's pushing it as I am estimating closer to 180. Talking only like 1 ft free on each side to the hull to get there.

May find toying with the pattern it just doesn't amount to squat, ie crazy custom buys 180 versus 165, and in that case yes - rectangle.

Am not so concerned over the cost within reason as much as just it being a fair price for what it is.

Top Bottom