First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I’ll miss his Instagram posts! Hopefully he’s going to bigger and better things.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Who ever takes his place has mighty big shoes to fill.
Every race he was the only rep out passing out swag. No Cummins, Cat or any others. Not to mention the prompt response to calls, text and emails. I have been doing this for over 10 years and two boatyards. Jay is by far the best rep I have ever dealt with.
Passing out swag... I spent over 50k with Cummins and they asked for a shirt with my boats name on it!

Last edited:

novivin

Rear Admiral
Lite User

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.woundupmarine.com
First Name
John
Boat Make

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
You guys gotta remember that for Cat, Cummins, Volvo and the like, the small displacement marine engine sector is small beans. Good for peope like Jay promoting the engines his company sold. Doubt Cummins really cares about giving out swag, their selling engines either way.
Diesel market is difficult from a product perspective as the big OBs have been replacing mid-sized diesels for the past decade and it doesn't appear to be slowing down. CAT is breathlessly promoting the new 2400hp C32 for 70' SFs but couldn't care to develop anything smaller than 18L, just do a few seemingly half-assed JVs to fill the space. Yanmar is into a JV with FPT for the 6.7 and 8.7 engines now too. Even Scania, the smallest engine there is 13L. Only really Volvo and Cummins, and I guess Deere for commercial apps, are in that market for themselves. And there's the whole enviro angle too....diesels are baaaaaad for the environment (try explaining EPA tiering and the diff between an 8V-92 and Scania 16L to a lefty, see how that goes) so these companies have an eagle eye on that issue too I can assure you. Truthfully I can't really blame the manufs for kind of putting those product lines on autopilot, even though I hate that that's the way the market has turned. Especially since you can order an OB today for your new project and by the time it gets delivered it may be against the law to start.

Scania had made a conscious decision to re-enter the rec/comm diesel market in the US with quality product so they (MB) are spending now, but I wonder if Jay moving on will affect that. Hopefully not, it seems like Mack Boring is excited to move the product after they campaigned that Viking up and down the coast over the past year. More competition is always good for the consumer.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.woundupmarine.com
First Name
John
Boat Make

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User