Which downeast cruiser for family of 6 & under $130k

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I have a buddy (really its not me) who has 4 kids and is interested in a turn key boat for cruising with his family of 4 kids and wife. Anyone have any suggestions for a boat to meet these criteria? The biggest restriction is that he would want to cruise maybe 12- 14kts at a minimum so all of the old 7 knot cruisers are out of the search right off the bat. We talked about this here and there and I thought I would put the question out to all of you to see what you thought.

I have seen some 2 stateroom boats (V bunk and bunk beds) plus some sort of sleeping arrangements in the saloon that would work for him. Also some boats with 4 bunks inthe bow and then the saloon (salon) option. He is not really a fisherman so not much pressure there but a couple rod holders would be a good idea.

He is not really a project type of guy either but could see past some brightwork and painting on the right boat. Little help?

Last edited:

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Powerboats for Sale or Charter

That 38 wilbur is a little over your budget but it is a really nice boat and has the sleeping arrangement you are looking for. It goes nice and is pretty quiet, twin cats. Now in salem ma.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Powerboats for Sale or Charter

That 38 wilbur is a little over your budget but it is a really nice boat and has the sleeping arrangement you are looking for. It goes nice and is pretty quiet, twin cats. Now in salem ma.

It not only has one, but a pair of 3116's though. Isnt that the vintage when the "soft blocks" were popular? Gorgeous boat with full mahogany cabinetry in the cockpit (?) and huge bridge. Great find. Thoughts on the engines though? I guess the paperwork will tell the story as to what has been done to the blocks etc. if anything.

Might not make the cruise speed either but I think my buddy would be very interested in this kind of boat. WHy are Wilburs more affordable used? They are big bucks new.

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Dont really know much about the boat im just a student at MMA. It was on the hard for a long time then a couple weeks ago they put it in and ran it down to a broker in Salem. Ive only been on it once...seemd to run real well super quiet in the wheelhouse/salon. The cabinets on the back deck are a little weird they are huge. Boat deffinately needs some bright work done as well.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Does he want a DE boat in particular or is he more of the "bubble boat" type? I saw a nice layout in a TJason 35 that had a stateroom, a bunk bed arrangement, and the salon converted for sleeping. It could sleep 6 no problem and cruised at 12 knots. But in this case it really depends on the kids involved. Girls, boys, or a mix? Also their ages. Does he want tons of creature comforts like those fur lined plastic toys offer or does he prefer the more basic and functional features of a DE? You can show him a really nice DE boat, but he might not appreciate it if you know what I mean. If you like the guy, you will steer him clear of the rabbit fur!

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Dont really know much about the boat im just a student at MMA. It was on the hard for a long time then a couple weeks ago they put it in and ran it down to a broker in Salem. Ive only been on it once...seemd to run real well super quiet in the wheelhouse/salon. The cabinets on the back deck are a little weird they are huge. Boat deffinately needs some bright work done as well.

Any more pics by any chance?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Does he want a DE boat in particular or is he more of the "bubble boat" type? I saw a nice layout in a TJason 35 that had a stateroom, a bunk bed arrangement, and the salon converted for sleeping. It could sleep 6 no problem and cruised at 12 knots. But in this case it really depends on the kids involved. Girls, boys, or a mix? Also their ages. Does he want tons of creature comforts like those fur lined plastic toys offer or does he prefer the more basic and functional features of a DE? You can show him a really nice DE boat, but he might not appreciate it if you know what I mean. If you like the guy, you will steer him clear of the rabbit fur!

Think the allure of better mileage, safer handling and the good looks of a DE boat is attractive to him. Think he would go with a Grand Banks Europa if they were affordable so not sure where that ranks on the DE scale but its a classy boat without the bubble look. Has a Tiara Coronet to sell so I think his head is in the right place (no fur....on his boat anyway, or at least a very minimal amount of it).

Mix of kids at all kinds of ages too so safety is important but I dont think theres a boat out there that will have totally separate staterooms for 6 and he gets that. The bunk arrangement will be key though but a couple bunks could be added to lots of boats out there with relative ease too. It will be interesting to see what happens to him. Would love to come up with some options for him to try to go see even if they needed work done. That Wilbur was a great (maybe perfect) find CCtuna but maybe too soon. Still great food for thought and who knows what will happen. Its a boat deal after all.

Rlmdrydock

Ensign
Think the allure of better mileage, safer handling and the good looks of a DE boat is attractive to him. Think he would go with a Grand Banks Europa if they were affordable so not sure where that ranks on the DE scale but its a classy boat without the bubble look. Has a Tiara Coronet to sell so I think his head is in the right place (no fur....on his boat anyway, or at least a very minimal amount of it).

Mix of kids at all kinds of ages too so safety is important but I dont think theres a boat out there that will have totally separate staterooms for 6 and he gets that. The bunk arrangement will be key though but a couple bunks could be added to lots of boats out there with relative ease too. It will be interesting to see what happens to him. Would love to come up with some options for him to try to go see even if they needed work done. That Wilbur was a great (maybe perfect) find CCtuna but maybe too soon. Still great food for thought and who knows what will happen. Its a boat deal after all.
New to the forum. I find myself in same position. Family of 6. Looking for a 35 Duffy that optimizes every variable. That means cruising, fishing, some charter work, committee boat type work. Have an eye on one 86 Duffy 35 with 99 3116 1000hrs. Pretty spartan not a lot of polish or bunks for that matter but I am good with that at right price. Looking to be 75k at this point. Any thoughts? On pricing. Updated electronics canvas and windlass.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
New to the forum. I find myself in same position. Family of 6. Looking for a 35 Duffy that optimizes every variable. That means cruising, fishing, some charter work, committee boat type work. Have an eye on one 86 Duffy 35 with 99 3116 1000hrs. Pretty spartan not a lot of polish or bunks for that matter but I am good with that at right price. Looking to be 75k at this point. Any thoughts? On pricing. Updated electronics canvas and windlass.

You have a specific boat in mind- can you post some pics? Working a deal right now or just looking around? Sounds like a good deal provided the engine checks out and survey is clean.

Welcome.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Badladitue found some great boats. I would stay with the 3208's or there is one Wilbur with a yanmar in it. Try to stay away from cored hulls but you can go with a core but do your homework and get a good surveyor with a moisture meter. The 35 Duffy is more popular and one of the best DE hulls ever created but I know that 34 Wilbur is also a great well balanced hull and you wouldn't go wrong with one. Some of these are loaded and fit the bill perfectly!!

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Emailed the link of the boat in Stamford CT to my buddy this morning at about 9 am I think and he texted me a picture of his son at the wheel at about 9:45. 45 min later he was there looking at it!

Great links (Badlat) and loaded with Wilburs because they are in the price range really. What is it about them that people dont like? The coring?

Top Bottom