Which25 would you choose

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Ok guys,
For an outboard powered center console boat
Which would you choose and why, a northern bay 25 or a bhm25?

NausetBruno

Ensign
really depends what you would use it for and what your budget is. some other options could include aylward 25, sisu 26, leblanc 24, duffy 26

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Appreciate it. Over the years I've done quite a bit of research on de and novi boats. Many questions have been answered on this forum. I believe I am aware of almost all the options in this size range. Of these I am really drawn to the bhm and northern bay25, and would like opinions on THESE in a center console outboard configuration. Thanks

Gurnet Point 25

I would be happy to send you info on our Gurnet Point 25. This is a Jamie Lowell design. We can build this as an center console, outboard version. with a gill bracket or the outboard bolted on the transom. Take a look at the Gurnet Point 25 on our website at www.southshoreboatworks.com

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Thanks south shore.

It's interesting though,
Normally a lot of you guys can't say enough about bhms, and northern bays to a lesser extent.
Even the builder won't chime in.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Had a BHM 20 as a boy, center console rig with a small bimini top forward and an electric hauler on a post. Wasn't an outboard though, 302 Ford. Went like a scalded cat.

Had a hand helping a friend with his Northern Bay 25 and laid up a few of them. That one was an I/O with a Volvo outdrive. Don't think he ever ran it before he sold it.

Raced against a BHM 25 back in the day in Diesel Class A. It had a 220 Deere in it and went round about 30, probably a little faster.

All are good little boats, guess it's going to depend on which you like the looks of more.

Steiger25

Lieutenant
Boat Make
TJason 28 - In Process
I have been working on a 25 project for 4 months. I have talked with at least a half dozen builders (all really good folks) but none of them really want to commit to a d/e hull with an outboard. The keel has to be blocked and nobody seems comfortable standing behind how the boat will handle etc. Some builders just said NFW to putting an outboard on their hull.....others were interested but also tried to talk me out of it. I am looking at the TJ 25/28, BHM 25, GM 26, CB 23. The only real OB option that I am aware of is the CB23. You might as well buy a Hinckley if you look at Duffy...pricing is way out of whack for a 26. Terry Jason, Steve Law and Stacey Raymond were a pleasure to speak with and really tried to work with me. Some other builders were somewhat hostile to the idea. I should also mention that I want a CC....which breaks the mold even more.

Gurnet Point 25

Down east hulls are primarily designed for single engine inboard power. With a full keel, they are stable and efficient. Provided that the builder knows the stability studies of the design. the hull's center of gravity. moment of trim and the pounds of emersion. It is quite possible to build a outboard powered down east 25. You do have to scoop out the keel to accommodate for water flow for the outboard. and you do have to move weights and equipment to balance and trim the boat. One concern is the lift that occurs from the keel. depending on the width and fairness, this can be quite dramatic and varies depending on the design. Scooping away the area where the dead wood, stuffing box and immediately forward allows for plenty of stability in the keel. We can do this with our Gurnet Point 25. With this out board version, the draft is approx. 30". I would be happy to discuss this with you.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
I have been on the Gurnett Point 25 and quite impressed with the boat. I also want to mention that the builder Bob of South Shore Boatworks has done fiberglass work, built a seatee, engine hatches and installed fuel tanks for me in the past. Bob is a straight shooter whose work is of the finest quality and for a fair price. Do yourself a favor and at least sit down with him over a cup of coffee to discuss the Gurnett Point 25', I think it would be worth the time.

Respectfully,

Dave

Cookie

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Northern Bay
Northernbay

mine is setup with an I/o Lobster config not cc, runs pissa, only problem is its a little heavy in the ass, with an outboard on bracket, you would be putting the weight even further back, locate fuel tank and whatever else you can forward

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
Unless you could sea trial the hull with an out board configuration I think you'd be taking quite a risk. I give credit to the builders who hesitate. I have personal experience with a 25' DE hull set up with an abbreviated keel and an outboard and it would broach in the blink of an eye. I'm no engineer, but the typical deep forefoot without a substantial keel as counter balance is asking for trouble. Take a look at the Eastern 27 vs. a typical DE hull.

Bob Turcotte

Lieutenant
Looking at the right boat

Ok guys,
For an outboard powered center console boat
Which would you choose and why, a northern bay 25 or a bhm25?
The Gurnet Point 25 was designed with that in mind when the design was done. I know the boat well and recomend this design highly. This boat handles all conditions well and can be set-up to for any use you can think of.

Top Bottom