Who all running 24V engine!

Panhandler80

Captain
Just realized that engine I’m looking at is 24V system.

My current thought is two 24v batteries and a 1/2/both switch to engine. This as opposed to a set of 2, or two set of 2 twelve volts. The pair of 24v batteries (expensive, but...) would allow me to isolate either one, or combine. This way I have three starting options. And if I know one battery is in great shape, I can keep it that way and save as back up while operating (on/off) With other one. If I’m a pinch neither works solo, switch will combine.

Then have a second 12v alternator and run my house off it off a couple 8Ds with 1/2/Both switch.

I don’t have any long runs, and no heavy draw DC motor applications, so rather have house common 12v.

Panhandler80

Captain
I run a 24vdc boat. Uses a newmar 24 to 12vdc converter for 12vdc equipment.
I think your over complicating it. Just use 12v batteries in series.

I’m with you on the converter for my house and bulk of equipment and skipping the second alternator.

Still not real comfortable with just one cranking system... Be nice to have a back up cranking system that can be operated independent of “primary” be it two more 12v in series, or just a second 24 v battery.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
yeah, i see your point. Being fair, these boats I run are all twin screw. So, two alternators and two battery banks. One boat has two newmar converters the other boat has vanner converters. A separate 12vdc battery would be nice...even if it was small. This would help with any voltage drops.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Depends how complex system you want or what fits your needs. Me, I would keep as much of the boat 24VDC as possible. Most electronics now are available in 24VDC, same as other accessories.
yeah, some of the stuff you can do with 24vdc is cool. We have a full sized air compressor onboard.

Top Bottom