Who has used peel ply ?

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
From my understanding it comes in a roll like glass and wipe your laminate is still wet you wet out a piece of this and use a roller to get the air out and once the resin has kicked you peel it off and it’s a smoother surface requiring less grinding and fairing.. anyone on here use it ? Seems like a great product

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I have used it . It works great to get the texture of mat down flat for less sanding. It also works great for inside radiuses , and on edges of ply wood where it’s hard to get glass wrapped around. If you have a thick layup, you have to be careful not to make waves when rolling out the air, and don’t overlap the peel ply without getting the air rolled out before it overlaps. I usually roll out the air first, so I can see when it’s gone, then apply the peel ply, and roll it out with my roller, thentouch it with the bubble roller. Do not fold the peel ply when storing it, as the fold will not come out, and show in the work you use it on.

skyeboat

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Coastal 27

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Thanks guys that’s very helpful I’m going to give it a shot. Seems like you could save a lot of time and material fairing

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Would you guys use peel ply or say a sheet of 1/8-1/4” plexiglass if you were skinning a full sheet of coosa on a table.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I think the advantage to peel ply is that it gives you a surface ready to laminate or apply fairing without sanding. Anyway, that's how I use it sometimes. It does smooth out the surface compared to not using it. Works really good with epoxy projects as you squeegee out the excess resin. The amine blush doesn't need to be cleaned off as well.

Anthony Kotoun

Lieutenant
its very nice stuff and will make your finished product look more professional.
Not sure what you were saying about wetting it out but just want to make sure you know that you put this stuff on dry on to a wet laminate. You then use the roller. It also helps keep fringe edges that want to pop up down.
The texture it leaves is similar to 220 paper. This way it is ready to be bonded on with out having to do any surface prep for your next step.
it also soaks up excess resin.

skyeboat

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Coastal 27

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Would you guys use peel ply or say a sheet of 1/8-1/4” plexiglass if you were skinning a full sheet of coosa on a table.
The plexiglass would leave a very shiny finish that would need to be sanded for application of....gelcoat? If the peel ply was used, you could go right to gelcoat without sanding.

Cutty

Lieutenant
I’ve read that 100% polyester dress liner is an inexpensive alternative but I have no personal experience

fat2nawilly

Commander
Bill I believe I have a bag of this stuff in my basement I'll never use. Your welcome to have it if you want.

fordy

Commander
You can practice with poor man's peel ply , waxed paper

Quality waxed paper, does the same thing but obviously on a smaller scale. But easy to find

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Nice Dave will you post a shot up close once you peel it off ?
Here you go. I really need to use it more often. Thing about picking up a roll from composites one.

D4765811-55E0-477D-B69B-E45E957369B8.jpeg

B54CB626-B738-473E-977B-8E5CB165CF6F.jpeg

Top Bottom