Who is your favorite DE designer?

Tumblehome

Lieutenant Commander
I spend too much time dreaming about owning a DE one day, and which hull it would be. And I'm often all over the map.
One way to narrow the field (for me) would be to pick one designer (Beal, Lincoln, Libby, ect..).
I'm into Spencer's hulls right now. Built down, great shear and flare, sexy, able, and no engine box :eek:.

So who is your favorite designer and why?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Wes Mac is Royal Lowell & he is my favorite as I like a hard chinned DE. 36 Harris & 31 JC also R/L. Photo of the 42 Wes Mac Bottom

IMG-20140105-00425.jpg

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Too hard to decide- I really like the Wesmac, Lowell, Flowers, and Calvin Beal hulls. I guess it comes down to what your priorities are and your intended use. If I was building strictly a commercial lobster boat, I would probably go Calvin Beal or Wesmac. It's fun to dream, and a lot cheaper than building and maintaining one.

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Dsigners

The Wesmac 42 from a while back was designed by Carroll Lowell. You can check with Jamie Lowell. He knows the details. I may be partial but looks and function the Lowell designs are the best, Spencer Lincoln is second

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
The Wesmac 42 from a while back was designed by Carroll Lowell. You can check with Jamie Lowell. He knows the details. I may be partial but looks and function the Lowell designs are the best, Spencer Lincoln is second

I think they fixed the problems on the 42 also. That is what turned me off from wesmac and they cost to much for a realistically medioca hull. Just because it cost more doesn't make it a better boat because of the cost. It does suck in a group that think its a status symbol for that reason but most people don't buy for that reason but obviously...some do.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I think they fixed the problems on the 42 also. That is what turned me off from wesmac and they cost to much for a realistically medioca hull. Just because it cost more doesn't make it a better boat because of the cost. It does suck in a group that think its a status symbol for that reason but most people don't buy for that reason but obviously...some do.

A Wesmac is a mediocre hull?:D This video convinces me otherwise: FAIR WARNING - YouTube

Ya, they cost more, but there aren't many downeast boats floating around that equal the quality, style, performance, and ruggedness of the Wesmac. They are a professionally run business, the quality of their molds is second to none, and their facility is very nice. I'd take one.;)

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
A Wesmac is a mediocre hull?:D This video convinces me otherwise: FAIR WARNING - YouTube

Ya, they cost more, but there aren't many downeast boats floating around that equal the quality, style, performance, and ruggedness of the Wesmac. They are a professionally run business, the quality of their molds is second to none, and their facility is very nice. I'd take one.;)

So you have a youtube of a wesmac 42 going along on a flat ass calm day that can almost keep up with a camera boat.

"Reel Encounter" 2006 41ft Luhrs Open Marathon FL 33050 - YouTube

sbnov09_LUHRS_01.jpg

Last edited:

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Lobster- you always this cranky and cantankerous? :D

That's a 46 Wesmac doing 33 knots... not many DE boat builders have one of those in their portfolio's. What other DE boat builder/designer has the portfolio of top-tier boats like Wesmac? From design to execution, they sit at the top of the heap in my opinion. This is not to say the other builders do not turn out a fantastic boat, and I'm not saying Wesmac is the only one that can build a top notch boat. But when you consider how many killer boats Wesmac has turned out, and how they remain in high demand in both the new and used market, it's hard to deny they have a stellar design and quality.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Lobster- you always this cranky and cantankerous? :D

That's a 46 Wesmac doing 33 knots... not many DE boat builders have one of those in their portfolio's. What other DE boat builder/designer has the portfolio of top-tier boats like Wesmac? From design to execution, they sit at the top of the heap in my opinion. This is not to say the other builders do not turn out a fantastic boat, and I'm not saying Wesmac is the only one that can build a top notch boat. But when you consider how many killer boats Wesmac has turned out, and how they remain in high demand in both the new and used market, it's hard to deny they have a stellar design and quality.

OH I don't pay that much attention to wesmac due to reasons in a post that disappeared because I did something wrong trying to post it or it got censored:grin:

I guess that would put the wesmac on par with the luhrs 41 then because the 41 is really 45ish loa'

I guess I have a different knowledge of wesmac boats near me. I'd be out of business if I had built one like some locally.

Last edited:

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I think the Wesmac hull speaks for itself doing 18knts in an 8-10' following sea.

So you don' know of any flaws in the wesmac that have tied up the new owners boats for a long time?
As a commercial fisherman, I woulda lost everything I owned if that happened to me.

Top Bottom