Who makes the best aluminum deck hatch

duxbait

Captain
I did a quick search on here and couldn't find a similar thread.

My question is, who makes the most watertight aluminum deck hatch? I know that a completely level mounting surface and a gasket in good condition are the two main factors in a good seal. I am looking for a small hatch around 12"x24" roughly. Do the hatches with multiple dogs seal any better than the quick release dog down hatches that only have one t handle? I have a skiff that needs a watertight hatch for its bilge access, or else the pumps will be running all day. Something like a freeman oval lift out hatch would be the most convenient for me, but I would certainly use a rectangular hatch with numerous dogs if that is more watertight.

Thanks for any input

Seth

Snake8

Commander
They all leak eventually. Keep your gaskets clean when you dog them down, pay attention to the dogs, if the hatch leaks tighten up the dogs. Im not a fan of the freeman or bomars t handle ones because the handle sits in water and they are a pain to service.

c1steve

Captain
I do not have a photo, but it was easy. From what I remember, the Bomar hatch uses a plastic bushing in the housing. I had to disassemble the hatch completely and remove caked up salt, fish guts, etc. Once it was cleaned, I drilled a hole into the aluminum and tapped it to 1/4-28. The grease fitting goes in 90 degrees to the shaft.

I installed a stainless Zerk fitting and assembled the hatch. Then I pumped in grease. Now, four years later, the tee handle is easy to lift up and operate.

Bomar grease fitting.jpg

Last edited:

StowIt

Commander
Boat Make
Flowers 38 w/ 675 Scania, Dyer 29 Bass w/ 260 Yanmar, Boston Whaler 17 Montauk
my friend has Anchor hatches on his DE and they leak constantly. I don't know what he has or hasn't done to correct the problem but there's always water in his hatches. he has the type with multiple dogs, which are pain if you're offshore. I understand that Anchor now makes a type with one handle that operates all of the dogs? Anyone using that type?

junkman

Commander
Lite User

StowIt

Commander
Boat Make
Flowers 38 w/ 675 Scania, Dyer 29 Bass w/ 260 Yanmar, Boston Whaler 17 Montauk
Junkman,
that was one approach that my builder suggested, seems simple enough. I think I'm going with the Freemans or is that over kill?

junkman

Commander
Lite User

Latest Posts

Top Bottom