Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Last week 2500 revs got me 20kts or a shade under. WOT was 22.6.

Now with after propscan I get 20kts at 2400 revs, 21.5 at 2500 and a whisker over 24kts at WOT.

Cummins 315 5.9 B series she is a 8500 lb Wasque.

Thanks to all who gave advice on installing the wheel. I lapped the prop to the shaft, tightened the nuts per Larry's picture and am off and running. Have a good holiday all.

Nice! Is she smoother as well?

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Nice! Is she smoother as well?

It would be interesting to find someone willing to take the time to test the wheel right out of the shop for smoothness and then after they remove material that the machinist left for some reason. I suspect the performance will be worse after messing around with what the shop did. If you don't know you screwed up the wheel but it is still better than it was before the wheel scan..some people will think they did a good thing.

It would also be interesting to ask the shop how they stand behind their workmanship after you/someone remove material and, after the shop has performed their work and you want to improve their work because what they do,, really isn't any good.... what do they recommend to improve their work?

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
It would be interesting to find someone willing to take the time to test the wheel right out of the shop for smoothness and then after they remove material that the machinist left for some reason. I suspect the performance will be worse after messing around with what the shop did. If you don't know you screwed up the wheel but it is still better than it was before the wheel scan..some people will think they did a good thing.

It would also be interesting to ask the shop how they stand behind their workmanship after you/someone remove material and, after the shop has performed their work and you want to improve their work because what they do,, really isn't any good.... what do they recommend to improve their work?

The deal is the class of the prop. Which is really the tolerance allowed for the measurement of the prop. The only way to check and therfore classify it is with a prop scan unit. You want a class 1 or better.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
The deal is the class of the prop. Which is really the tolerance allowed for the measurement of the prop. The only way to check and therfore classify it is with a prop scan unit. You want a class 1 or better.

I only had a prop scan once to recheck a wheel. It checked fine.. After it was all checked and OKed.. the technician took a grinding wheel and removed material... I asked,, why did you do that to something that was good? He replied to complete the scan and perform what was necessary.

There was another thread that incited my reply about testing wheel smoothness before and after someone messed around with the wheel after a shop worked on it. Oppsed to, a bad wheel vs wheel reconditioned and then fooled around with it and someone thinking they improved what the shop did.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
I only had a prop scan once to recheck a wheel. It checked fine.. After it was all checked and OKed.. the technician took a grinding wheel and removed material... I asked,, why did you do that to something that was good? He replied to complete the scan and perform what was necessary.

There was another thread that incited my reply about testing wheel smoothness before and after someone messed around with the wheel after a shop worked on it. Oppsed to, a bad wheel vs wheel reconditioned and then fooled around with it and someone thinking they improved what the shop did.

That might have been to balance it. the scan checks that the blades are the same but then it has to be balanced. I thought they usually drilled holes though.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Glad things work out....know image your boat with a brand new QDX Nibral Class I...... WOW!

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
I swear by Propscan and sat down with the owner of the one in Plymouth years back going over numbers to buy the shop. Decided this was not a good fit for me but someone would purchase the business. Now I use Larry at ACCUTECH in Dover, NH and his work is flawless. Not only do they do props but shafting also. A few years ago I picked up my new wheel and 2" shaft and wheel and have not been disapointed at all. Each spring or fall if I am smart, the wheel comes off and heads up for a nice tune up. Glad it worked out for you.

Dave

Top Bottom