Why are Mitchell Cove hull & tops so expensive ??

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Mitchell Cove Boats | Journey's End Marina

Hello ALL,

Is there "anything" special as far as fiberglass, resin, gel coat or stringer material that makes the Mitchell Cove hulls and tops way more expensive than hulls and tops being offered by other quality Maine builders?

The Mitchell Cove prices are 60%-90% more than the well renowned hulls mentioned on this forum and owned by many forum members. :confused:

Regards,

Bill D

MDI45

Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
The OHara corporation that owns the molds now has always bin over priced....just look at there little center console boat.....i guess they dont care if the build or not.....they are not going to sell to the working lobstermen with those prices!!

VPC

1st Mate
comparisonMC32 mitchel Cove

In 2000 brand new with fiberglass stringers, s/s hauler 2" shaft 63P Volvo and gear new, bunks below , lifting rails, transom live well bomar hatches out the door 89,000

lobstercatcher

Admiral
Mitchell Cove Boats | Journey's End Marina

Hello ALL,

Is there "anything" special as far as fiberglass, resin, gel coat or stringer material that makes the Mitchell Cove hulls and tops way more expensive than hulls and tops being offered by other quality Maine builders?

The Mitchell Cove prices are 60%-90% more than the well renowned hulls mentioned on this forum and owned by many forum members. :confused:

Regards,

Bill D

Maybe their site prices are more up to date?

Some places don't give a break down like that. How do you know?

Any in particular you are comparing?

I do like the internet pricing table like that. that way you can guess if you really have a shot at getting a boat built before you even ever contact the builder for a more detailed pricing to go borrow money on.

I just looked at a 37 osmond on H&H web site..

Must be old pricing. I got a price from someone recently and it is probably 60% higher. Unless the pricing I got was with the engine?? I never found that part out???

basic boat less engine$103,100.00

Last edited:

lobstercatcher

Admiral
maybe they just need whoever is drawing up the web site ( whatever it is called) do some proof reading :D

I like the price scale of colored gel coat addition . the various size boats with the last being the 37fter. the previos number is the 35.. looks like a extra zero on there. give um a call for real priceing. obviously the numbers need help.

Colored gelcoat
$1,125
$1,420
$1,650
$16,800

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
$45,900 for a cored 38 northern bay hull and top with a skim coat of vynilester resin.

lobstercatcher

Admiral
$45,900 for a cored 38 northern bay hull and top with a skim coat of vynilester resin.

Does John Hutchins still put out the hull or did someone else take over the mold?

There is no official industry standard on what is included. The NB has less initial stringers as the basic hull so it would be cheaper . I do like how John designed a one mold fits every ones needs concept. Other builders have there own concepts too. I forget who it was but one builder told me he puts his hulls out with engine bed and shafting aliened so the boat will at least run right after someone does a self finish . They don't know your capabilities. Sounds like a smart idea to me. What I do like about internet pricing such as H&H.. it stated as some others do... Price is less engine.. Imagine you order a boat and the price sounds about what it should be. You appropriate funds and then ..the builder says... where is the engine you want me to put in it ?? Oh, that price was without the engine? That could really screw things up and change the build into a life changing event. A simple yes, no or price is without engine statement could make all the difference in the world. Both my builds were straight forward with everything. I got what they said they would do for the amount agreed upon. The only question that I remember being up in the air on the NB38 build was... how much it was going to cost to fill her up with fuel for the steam home.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
John is still around but Gary kief is taking over. John will be overseeing things, he says he is semi retired. That price is for a hull with 2 inch nidacore stringers, balsa, nidacore or solid hull with three bulkheads. The top with 4 windows as long as the customer needs. Engine, shaft and rudder installed is 15,000. Qsm11 is around 60,000. Composite deck system is 12,500. These prices are about two months old so probably have not changed much.

lobstercatcher

Admiral
John is still around but Gary kief is taking over. John will be overseeing things, he says he is semi retired. That price is for a hull with 2 inch nidacore stringers, balsa, nidacore or solid hull with three bulkheads. The top with 4 windows as long as the customer needs. Engine, shaft and rudder installed is 15,000. Qsm11 is around 60,000. Composite deck system is 12,500. These prices are about two months old so probably have not changed much.

Don't know if you remember that part of the build but I got the full deck height stringers, Kinda cool knowning I could pop a hatch in the deck and have a isolated compartment below deck. Now they are just water tight compartments. But it is another something to consider, You could make a couple tuna lockers down there. The basic hull and top are the cheap part but that sounds good with 4 windows and other add ons for that money. That rudder can't be with the ram, joint, lines ,helm , power steering pump and all the mountings? Could it?

Last edited:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
No thats just the rudder install. I agree, I really like the full height stringers. I believe you also got the composite deck system with yours?

Bear13

1st Mate
Boat Make
26 Regulator
comparisonMC32 mitchel Cove

In 2000 brand new with fiberglass stringers, s/s hauler 2" shaft 63P Volvo and gear new, bunks below , lifting rails, transom live well bomar hatches out the door 89,000

Someone was to start popping these out again wasn't they?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Not for 89k. Lol. Wish we could still get the prices mentioned! A memeber here took the molds over from journeys end. So a little searching and you'll find it.

cb34

Admiral
Not for 89k. Lol. Wish we could still get the prices mentioned! A memeber here took the molds over from journeys end. So a little searching and you'll find it.
Best of luck getting in them to reply to any form of communication.

jdickau484

Commodore
Lite User
First Name
Jordan
Boat Make
22' Calvin Beal

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
If you look up Taylored Boats Inc. on Face Book it says he normally responds in minutes with a 100% response rate. IDK give that a try.

Bear13

1st Mate
Boat Make
26 Regulator
Sent a msg... I doubt I can build new and likely need to wait but it is good to check. Plus I just got another DE FB page to like and see more pics to droll over!!! :) win win

steve carter

Deckhand
as a boat builder .who worked with the very first owner of the mitchell cove molds . and remain friends to this day . i will say they are a fast pretty boat . in most ways they are no better or worse then most maine built boats . think the molds are now in either the 3rd or 4th owners hands . down the road in milbridge maine. in my eyes other then they are a very popular boat . there is no reason for them to be any higher priced then any others
i offer my 38 Maine's own blue bay . hull with custom top for 55,000 with wood stringers . with stringers made of solid fiberglass going from hull to deck the price would be 63,000. my hulls include solid fiberglass hand lay up . 4 stringers with gussets for extra strengh . water tight crash bulk head . water tight lazzarett . platform flange . washboard flange . and 2 200 gallon fuel tanks my mold was designed by a long time boat builder designer Ralph Ellis from eastern maine .

Top Bottom