why did atlantic boat company get rid of bhm molds?

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
bhm hulls are held in high esteem.
does anybody know why atlantic boat co. would sell these gems?

mudhake

Captain
I bought the 25 and 28 bhm moulds from atlantic boats in 1999. they would not sell trhe 31 or the 36 to me. The 31 sat outside under the pine trees and thats where they are. What a shame.I have built 55 of the 28s since and a dozen 25s since then and wish I could of made a deal for the 31. With a little bit of tweaking and a little alterations the 31 would go. ask travis or his father.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Did they sell them? Last I knew they still had the 32', 36' and 39' but someone on here contacted them a while back asking about the 32' and was told the mold is junk.

Ud think if it was junk they would gladly sell it. How exactly could it even be junk though. Is one not capable of repairing fiberglass? Why gone someone make a new mold using a hull as a plug?

Im guessing they dont want to give up the rights to the 31 as it would compete with their 31 and 33?

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
All good questions. Maybe it's a competition thing, who knows. Isn't ABC owned by a PE firm or something like that now?

Steve, I wish you had the bigger boats too, I grew up watching BHM 31's fish all year round off of the Cape and grew very fond of their lines. And, just about the baddest tuna fishing boat I've ever seen was a BHM 36' ($upplement) finished by Otis Enterprises Marine.

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
bhm vs atlantic

i could be wrong but i think their appeal was leaning more toward the "runner" market meanig sporties, and pinhookers, as well as recreational cruisers the audience in the past that needed a boat that carried weight and worked with gear leaned toward BHM BHM was never IMO noted as a race horse and that's not to say a bad thing their value was a boat that got you home in any condition. Another point of view is that the 28 and 31 had increased competition in the late eighties and early nineties enter the Beal's , RP,NB and so on. I think their 36 was very much overlooked and the few I was on and saw were great boats. The builder who owns the 25 and 28 made an interesting comment in that the 31 could be tweeked to perform better, and isn't that what boat building is about a constant evolving and fine tuning hulls. Years ago downeasters had limited market New Englanders fishermen for the most part fished close to home, but now up and down the coast fishermen especially tuna fishermen are steaming 100 plus miles on a given day so it's a no brainer that builders improved upon existing designs. Anyway you look at it BHM's have their place and I hope that guy gets the 31 mold it's one helluva hull.

sevenjohn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
novi
I called last year about the 31BHM ...I was told that they would build one but because of the shape of the mold the finish might be a little rough.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Can I quote you on that? :D

Please do. This sounds dumb but I honestly got a momentary knot in my stomach when I heard that she ran up on a ledge and went down.

Not a "my dog just died" knot, but it was still sad.

And somebody should go get those molds and offer them to the boating public. If ABC isn't going to market them they will eventually fall out of mind when weirdos like the forum membership here stop caring. Will ABC let them go, is another question.....

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
ABC probably doesn't want to let the larger molds to go, partly due to the success that Mudhake has had with the 28'.

There would be a direct competition to their line-up in the 30-40' range.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Wonder what thy get for a complete 31? $400,000? There prices are crazy! If they'll even call you back.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I bought the 25 and 28 bhm moulds from atlantic boats in 1999. they would not sell trhe 31 or the 36 to me. The 31 sat outside under the pine trees and thats where they are. What a shame.I have built 55 of the 28s since and a dozen 25s since then and wish I could of made a deal for the 31. With a little bit of tweaking and a little alterations the 31 would go. ask travis or his father.

OK, what would you ALL do to "tweak" the hull to get 21-23 knot cruise speeds out of the 31 BHM ??

I know we've had dozens of discussions on the solid cruise speeds of DEs and the hydrodynamic physics of why "most" of these hulls seem to settle in @ an 18 knot cruise speed.

IMO (and it ain't worth much) there's a good size market of twin sportfishing owners who would consider single engine keel boats but the drop in cruise speeds turns them away.

FWIW, Bill D

DKD

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Holland
I called about getting a molded top from them for the 31. They really did not want to get into that either.

Hunta

Lieutenant
31 bhm

My dad inquired about having a 31 laid up a couple of years ago prior to our last build out. They wanted a lot money due to the shape of the mold (they would have to clean it up) and mentioned that if they had a "couple" of orders for the hull, the price would go down. If memory serves correct, the price of the 35 Duffy basically the same $. We took it as someone was gonna have to pay for them to fix the mold.

Top Bottom