why did atlantic boat company get rid of bhm molds?

Teaserhead

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Otis finished 31 BHM's

Does anyone know of any Otis finished 31 BHM's on the market? I'd love to check one out. I have made an offer on a Flye Point 31, as a cruiser, she's finished nicely, but has a fb that I would probably remove if my better half lets me. Not looking fwd to that argument.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
They dont wanna build a work boat style boat anymore...everything has to be high end...or they dont wanna touch it

I was really interested in the 37' Duffy hull, it was in my top 5 or 6 and I even stopped by to look at the molds in August '11. The 37' Duffy mold was in good shape (built around '99 I believe), but it had been sitting outside not being used for at least 2-4 years (judging by the small trees growing up between the 2 mold halves). The place seemed like a ghost town when I visited, not much was going on as far as I could tell. They didn't seem interested in building me just a bare hull, and it worked out fine anyway because there are better hulls for my use available.

Muscie

Commander
Boat Make
36 Flowers finished by Cape Island, 2014 ; 645 QSM11
what would be the advantage to building the 36 (assuming they could produce the hull) in leiu of a 35 or 37. Anyone know the beam? I am building new & have not settled on a hull.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I believe the 36 BHM has a 12'6" beam. I saw a beautiful 36' BHM out in the Bellingham, WA area about 5 yrs ago. It was a nice looking hull, but if you are looking at a 36', jump up to a 38' like the Flowers, NB, Wesmac, or Lowell Brothers. Cost difference between a 36' and 38' is minimal and the added length makes a nicer boat.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I was really interested in the 37' Duffy hull, it was in my top 5 or 6 and I even stopped by to look at the molds in August '11. The 37' Duffy mold was in good shape (built around '99 I believe), but it had been sitting outside not being used for at least 2-4 years (judging by the small trees growing up between the 2 mold halves). The place seemed like a ghost town when I visited, not much was going on as far as I could tell. They didn't seem interested in building me just a bare hull, and it worked out fine anyway because there are better hulls for my use available.

I called twice and visited once over the span of 4 years and never even got as much as a price for a hull and top. My friend wanted a 42 stretched to 45, there price was 35k more then wesmac. He is building a 46 as we speak. There loss.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I called twice and visited once over the span of 4 years and never even got as much as a price for a hull and top. My friend wanted a 42 stretched to 45, there price was 35k more then wesmac. He is building a 46 as we speak. There loss.

Strange way to do business... I figured they didn't take me serious because I lived in the midwest, but I guess I'm not the only one that was ignored. The Wesmac is tough to beat.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Strange way to do business... I figured they didn't take me serious because I lived in the midwest, but I guess I'm not the only one that was ignored. The Wesmac is tough to beat.

There have been a few 35 duffys for sale that were express boats. Ive called atlantic atleast a dozen times in the last year and have never even got a person on the phone. Let alone ask them if they would make a top.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
i don't know if this would be a feasable or sensible scenario, but for sake of argument: what if someone made mold from a 31 bhm, and then 'tweaked' it a little and called it something new. a little shifty, but legal? a question for lawyers i suppose.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
i don't know if this would be a feasable or sensible scenario, but for sake of argument: what if someone made mold from a 31 bhm, and then 'tweaked' it a little and called it something new. a little shifty, but legal? a question for lawyers i suppose.

Probably not a good idea to do with a well known design.

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
I am just curious, who actually owns bhm 31. I mean because atlantic owns a mold would they be the ones comming after you?
My thoughts , and please correct me , where that many boats where designed by modifying other hulls. Making a mold from a hinkley or another larger company is one thing, but who would come after you if someone where to use a boat "type" as a plug, cut it up and tweak it? Rename it for there own.
I'm completely ignorant concerning boat building, and this is just a question .

I guess my question is when you buy a mold , are you buying the legal propritory rights to that shape and design? I would think not.

Last edited:

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
It's not a gray area

All I'm going to say

I hear ya , I figured some of the new designs comming from builders where born this way, but I guess it's a don't ask don't tell situation.
Plus it's probably to much info to share .

Last edited:

fishmanfh

Lieutenant
Interestingly enough, I was up last september looking at hulls and molds for a new build in the 36 range. While up in Maine, I figured I would stop by to see the 36 BHM at ABC. When I walked into the office, there were 3 men sitting behind computers and none seemed too interested in talking. Spent about an hour there, all they wanted to talk about was the Duffy and show us a used 37 they had in the shop. I never did receive a quote or any information on the 36 BHM. They were just not interested in that hull. Oh well.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Does anyone know how many 31's and 36's Atlantic even pulled out of those molds in all the time they've had them? At this point, having them seems like a way to take two competing hulls out of the market, so I'm guessing it's a wrap for the bigger BHM's.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I think it was already suggested that they only want to build high dollar boats where they can bill for much more labor. They apparently don't care about the working man who wants a basic boat w/ few amenities.

Top Bottom