why did atlantic boat company get rid of bhm molds?

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
Easy for us to speculate , but 99.7% of us don't build boats for a living. I'm sure if there was big money in those molds , they would be gleaming and in great shape, with new boats in them.

Lots of companies go down different roads for diff reasons. However , It does suck not to be treated like a king when you walk in the door ready to drop 400 k, buts lets face it , I'm pretty sure that's probably every 100th person that shows up to kick the tires.

Last edited:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Still curious how many BHM's Atlantic even built. And hey, if we speculate enough, maybe someone from Atlantic will join DEBF and give us the scoop on all of it...

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
I think every builder has to pick there market. like the Motel 6 and the Hilton both sell hotel rooms But the hilton can't compete price with the motel 6 and motel 6 can compete quality with the hilton so they both do a nice business i would not mind owning either company but there each going after a different market. so too the boat companies have to decide who they want to market to like San Juan yacht in seattle 30' start at 550000 and that who's business they want. Eastern boats is going after the working mans Business and there boats are price accordingly. Atlanta must be going after hinkley and san Juans yachts and that market build just a few boats make the boat a work of art and charge a premuim for it BMW Mercedes Benz and the like have been doing it for years. It seems like seaworthy is trying to built a really good quality boat not fancy and kind of take care of us working folks.

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
You also have to factor in that the staff as noted by previous replies isn't the seasoned people of years gone by and that's not being cynacle. When i was looking at BHM back in the eighties they spent hrs on the phone answering questions cross referencing you with other owners and so on.At its' pinacle BHM was a benchmark work boat and in the 31-39 size they represented, sadly as with a lot of boats you lose a little piece of "americana" as they go by the wayside were's the Young bros. the libby's, Duffy and well you get the point. As with all downeasters there's trade offs with every design and like the gentleman said if there was a legitimate demand they would be building them. People want cost efficient speed and size and as any builder can tell you there's a lot of competition out there. Any inteligent builder can see that the market is probably leaning toward fishermen that aren't 100% gear fishing. In my bay I had probably one of the first lobster hull and now 30 yrs later there all over

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
Well there just a superior design, i think there would be a niche selling them on the west coast. next year after i retire i'm going to try to do just that. sell a few boats and cruise the inland passage......

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
Great boat , great design , proved themselves over time. . Lets face it, the commercial fishing market is comming to an end . The 77% cod qouta cut ,couldn't make things more clearer.
It's a terrible sad thing. With that being said if you where a boat builder who had to worry about employes, and paying your bills. What type of boats would you steer your company into building?
Fast high end pleasure down east boats marketed towards the guy who has a few bucks to spend. Or the guy like myself who brakes his back to be able to afford a real boat that he takes pride in and does everything he can to make owning it a possibility.
The money is in speed and creature comforts.

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
You didn't just quote wu tang on a downeast site did you???

Yes , but in my defense have you seen that" boat songs" thread lately?:rolleyes:

and it is "rules" to much rum last night

Last edited:

bhm21

Ensign
When Atlantic combined with Duffy in 1996 between the BHMs and the Duffys we had 13 hull molds and approx. 30 deck molds we were building parts out of. During the next 12 years we usually built about 40 to 50 hulls and decks per year, 10 we finished off ourselves, the rest were kits. To date to my knowledge there have been 448 BHM's built (18-21's, 87-25's, 96-28's, 96-32's, 106-36's and 45-39's) thats not counting the 25's and 28's Steve has built since he bought those molds. As for Duffys to date to my knowledge 988 have been built.
Atlantic has sold 61 BHM's out of a total of about 400 hulls since 96, the most recent being a 36 we finished our selves in 08.
I am sure you all think we were rolling in the dough, but the truth is it is expensive running an operation like that, lots of money goes through but not much sticks. It's very expensive to maintain molds, especially ones that were built on a shoe string by Duffy and BHM, not built too well in the first place.
It is correct that the combination of the BHM & Duffy has probably not been as good for BHM as independent ownership might have been, but not for the reasons sited in this forum. The BHM molds each had their share of problems when we bought them. We marketed both brands together equally for the first few years and the Duffy molds out sold the BHM molds by 2 or 3 to 1. So as we invested in mold improvements it made sense to put the money into the molds that were selling the most. It did not take very long before the Duffy molds that had started out in better shape were in even better shape, making it more cost effective to build Duffys. We have never stopped selling BHM's, but I have found myself many times explaining for practical reasons I can give you a better price on a Duffy because I have better molds to work from.
Why did we not sell the molds? I had a plan to re-tool the BHM's as a practical mans boat, kept simple and straight with no fluff. The economy caught up with me before I could get it done.
Thats all for now but I would be happy to answer more questions if you ask them here or call me through Atlantic Boat.
BTW - the current owner of Atlantic, the general manager and myself all own BHM's. - Nate Hopkins

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Frank

Commander
Thanks for chiming in on this thread bhm21. I think most here are upset in seeing such a classic as the BHM line fade off into oblivion. If you don't mind me asking any idea what would it cost to reproduce that mold with modern day improvements?

Last edited:

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I would also be curious of that. I really wanted a bhm. But I would like to know what it would cost to build a 31 bhm kit. I settled for my webco due to the fact that I basically stole it. The next boat is a toss up between a H&H 29, or a bhm 31, and maybe a bhm 28.

bhm21

Ensign
BHM31 kit depending on a number of variables would be about $36,000.00, Solid Hull, lobster top, ve skin, doubled up foam cored stringers. There were comments on here about modifying the BHM31 to get speed out of it. In my opinion, I don't think it needs to be modified to get speed. The hull has good speed potential, more wetted surface area than some but a very large planning area as well. If the weight is kept under control, the trim / balance done correctly, modern power I think this boat will scoot.

Top Bottom