Why do lobster pots look the way they do?

MAArcher

Commander
A dumb newbie question, but how come lobster pots are so big and heavy? Why don't traps like the crab trap in this video work?

Also I have a hauler like the one in the video and got it thinking I can flip it on its back to use with a davit. Anyone see an issue with that? I'll have to relocate the power switch but that should be easy..

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
so they don't move on the bottom. IDK why crab traps are so lightweight.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
I know guys fishing 10 brick 3 footers in the Piscataqua. I think shafty traps are in the 150lb ballpark

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
our offshore trawls had wood double parlor ends pots, with double bricks (can't recall the amount of bricks). We called them bear pots. Try stacking those 4 high when bringing gear home for a storm.

Dano62

Lieutenant
Boat Make
23' Crowley Beal
our offshore trawls had wood double parlor ends pots, with double bricks (can't recall the amount of bricks). We called them bear pots. Try stacking those 4 high when bringing gear home for a storm.
Five high or die!

Dano62

Lieutenant
Boat Make
23' Crowley Beal
I know guys fishing 10 brick 3 footers in the Piscataqua. I think shafty traps are in the 150lb ballpark
I spent a winter back in the mid 90's building traps at Shafmaster before they made the switch to wire. They were 4' long x 32" (base width) x 26" (top width) x 18" high, 4 bricks, and made of pressure treated oak. Can't remember what they weighed, but we stacked 10 (5 high) on a pallet. Sometimes, the batch of oak we got was pretty dry and every time you drove a nail with the coil nailer, it would send up a cloud of green dust. I have no idea how much copper and arsenic I breathed in, even with a dust mask.

When I used to fish up river, my three footers had 8 bricks and my four footers had 10, and the big tides would still move them, sometimes over a hundred yards.

Top Bottom