Wilbur 29.

LittleGidding

Lieutenant
First Name
Joe
I would guess the exhaust elbow will be part of the survey. What is its mode of failure? Rusting out? Something else? I have never owned a Diesel engine but my recent reading suggests that this part is prone to rusting through due to high heat and injected water on all such engines. This Yanmar has turbocharger so I presume the elbow comes off that. I will make sure the surveyor checks this. Thanks!

Crabboater

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Rick
Boat Make
MDI 30 / Farrin
I would guess the exhaust elbow will be part of the survey. What is its mode of failure? Rusting out? Something else? I have never owned a Diesel engine but my recent reading suggests that this part is prone to rusting through due to high heat and injected water on all such engines. This Yanmar has turbocharger so I presume the elbow comes off that. I will make sure the surveyor checks this. Thanks!
mine is not Yanmar but developed a crack - engine surveyor found it.

TCL

Captain
Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
Yes, they can rust than water can seep into the turbo, I doubt that removal and inspection will be part of the engine survey but it should be a conversation you have with the engine technician to get his opinion.

LittleGidding

Lieutenant
First Name
Joe
Another question. Sea trial is coming Monday. I know that one of the tests of engine and prop is to run the engine at various RPM, stepwise to WOT, and record boat speed, then compare to a chart of expected performance. This boat is a one-off, the only 29ft Wilbur. How will I know if it’s performing as it should?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
To keep it simple: The real issue is that you are reaching max specified RPM for that motor with a full load on board. Speed is kind of secondary and is what it is at that point. This will tell you that the boat is not over propped which is what you want. An over propped boat leads to shortened life span of the motor. Think of driving a truck full of rocks up a big hill in 4th gear without being able to downshift to 3rd gear.

LittleGidding

Lieutenant
First Name
Joe
The operating manual for this engine shows “High Idle” at 3750, low idle at 700, maximum Output at crankshaft as 315 hp at 3300, and continuous output as 260 hp at crankshaft at 3100. Which of these would be looked for at WOT under load?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Based on this information - 3300 RPM is the minimum that must be reached under load. 3400 RPM would be ideal, meaning that it is slightly under propped to avoid over loading the motor.

Full Circle

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Paul
Boat Make
Campbell Custom Atlantic 37

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
The Yanmar 6LY is a bulletproof engine @ 315hp. They are, however, notorious for smoking at start up until warm. So with your cold temp sea trial, just know that if she’s billowing blue smoke for awhile after start up, that’s likely normal and not a red flag.

Last edited:

Full Circle

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Paul
Boat Make
Campbell Custom Atlantic 37

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
1998 Wilbur 29 Downeast Yacht For Sale | Hard Shell | SI Yachts

This is the boat's listing. I have offered less than the listed price, but the question is, does this seem like a fair ballpark price? What makes a boat like this worth so much, if it is? Prices on downeasters of similar LOA and age vary so widely. Why would this boat be listed this high?
One man’s opinion, but that seems priced fair to me. If it’s as nice as the pictures look, that boat is well under half price of a new one, finished like that. If everything checks out, looks like you will have an incredibly nice boat.

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
I 2nd Powder's opinion. There's been plenty of boats that size, age, and power FS in the $75-90k range, but none with that level of equipment & finish - which would cost you dearly to add.

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Speaking of age, I'd be sure to get confirmation that the hull ID corresponds to 1998. The ad says she was built on WC hull in 1998, but to my somewhat skeptical mind that could be a 1998 build on an older hull. Insurers (and sometimes banks) the born-on hull date is the one that matters. Just be 100% sure is all I'm suggesting...

LittleGidding

Lieutenant
First Name
Joe
Her USCG documentation shows her as built in 1998, registered in 2000. The early years list her builder as Lee Wilbur, then since 2007 as Webber’s Cove. The HIN maps to Webbers Cove ( WBR) which is confusing as WBR suggests Wilbur also. She carries a Wilbur maker’s plate.

LittleGidding

Lieutenant
First Name
Joe
Survey and sea trial done. Yanmar started right up. WOT 3400-3500 on tach, about 25 kn, so maybe a little under-propped? About 1 Sq ft wet core under bow roller only, not soft. 6x6 inch wet core at angle of deck hatch box/deck. Otherwise hull and deck all dry. Two aluminum fuel tanks that are not accessible except at fill and vent fittings. (If failed would be very destructive to replace…pull up deck and cabinetry) . Everything works except anchor windlass and marina radio. Awaiting official report and oil analysis. Elbow LOOKED good and solid, as did rest of engine. This is a one-off, so “comps” will be difficult to find.

Top Bottom