Wilbur/Duffy 42

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I have fished offshore on my buddies 42 Duffy. It is a flybridge boat with outriggers and greenstick, he has the 3406 800HP Cat. Carries 700 gallons of fuel. It is a very impressive ride offshore and on the drift. The boat cruises 19 kts loaded to the bones and just about 20 on the way home. Personally I think it is a good boat in all sea conditions. It is no speed demon but comfortable as it gets.

Downeast Deadrise

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35 "MATINICUS" CAT 3208TA 375
Thanks for the feedback Blitzen. Any option on having twins in a DE? My preference has always been a single but it seems most of the cruising DE boats I have researched have twins.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Thanks for the feedback Blitzen. Any option on having twins in a DE? My preference has always been a single but it seems most of the cruising DE boats I have researched have twins.
Not sure about that or how it affects the ride or handling.

Panhandler80

Captain
I have fished offshore on my buddies 42 Duffy. It is a flybridge boat with outriggers and greenstick, he has the 3406 800HP Cat. Carries 700 gallons of fuel. It is a very impressive ride offshore and on the drift. The boat cruises 19 kts loaded to the bones and just about 20 on the way home. Personally I think it is a good boat in all sea conditions. It is no speed demon but comfortable as it gets.
That’s better than I would have guessed. Impressive.

RobBaker

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastern Sisu 22
Beautiful and only 2400 lbs, built lite :)
  • displacement 2400 lb

Downeast Deadrise

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Yes. I am told she is fully balsa cored from the rails to the turn of the bilge. I am sure most would run after hearing that but it doesn’t scare me. I prefer the advantage of the insulation weight and stiffness. We shall see how she surveys.

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Yes. I am told she is fully balsa cored from the rails to the turn of the bilge. I am sure most would run after hearing that but it doesn’t scare me. I prefer the advantage of the insulation weight and stiffness. We shall see how she surveys.
Good man.
Cored boats aren't a problem.
Stupid previous owners that dont decore correctly are.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
This Wilbur is a stunner and its age it probably has all the kinks worked out just waiting for you to take the reigns. I have looked at it many times and may have made the push if it were single screw only because the older I get the more I want to go back and boy is that a sweet ride. Perfect for me except for the twins. Best of luck and keep us updated. @Downeast Deadrise

c1steve

Captain
The Henriques 35 Maine Coaster, a built down boat, is okay in a following sea, probably average. However with twins it is absolutely horrible, a true unsafe boat, in almost any seaway. This is because the keel had to be cut away to improve waterflow to the propellers.

When looking for a MC, usually the twin engine boats are often for sale but the single engine models are usually quickly sold. I would avoid twins unless I was sure I was only going out in fair weather.

Also 24,000 lbs in a 42? That is probably broker speak, as he is fishing for "sucker".

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

Downeast Deadrise

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Thanks Old Bay. My 35 is a fantastic boat. The 42 will have to be pretty special in order for me to make the leap.

c1steve has an interesting point on twin vs single engines on a DE. There certainly have been enough twin DE boats built and I haven’t heard complaints about performance downwind but I suppose it’s possible. The modified keel would definitely effect tracking but I would expect the wheels would prevent yawing as one would act like a drogue when the other was accelerating. Can any twin DE owners comment on their experiences? Would a modified DE keel track differently from a deep dead rise sport fish or hunt type hull?

TimR

Lieutenant
First Name
DownEast2020
That 42 is a beauty. I considered it and spoke to LM a few times, but it was a bit above my budget. Good luck with it. Where is the link on your 35?

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
I dont know the boat that is listed, but Its a Cousin to my 42 for sure. Near the same vintage and same power set up but mine is not the yacht finish, just charter boat nice.

The 42 is a beast and can take far more then I can. I have no problem running into a four foot head sea at speed with comfort and at reduced speed she takes a good bit more. Turn her to quarter it and she just goes fine in anything, down sea she behaves well and flies in all conditions. It handles so well my Inexperienced mates can hold a course well. She handles the breaking inlet with no issues or squirrely behaviors and there is enough power for it as well, more would always be better but its ok with the 3208s. These 42s have big rudders and the power steering makes them very responsive. Even though the keel end is bobbed off a bit from theIr single screw sisters the gear is still fairly well protected and the reduced keel doesn't cause any issues with handling. Flat out clean bottom light load she can squeak out 25, I go heavy loaded with full tanks, crew, divers and tons of gear and cruise 17-19 running 2150rpm, appx 1.2 GPM depends upon sea conditions. The designer of this hull was very good.

If the hull is cored it is not balsa but foam like Divinycell or something like that and ive had no issues with the hull core. The hull layup is about 3/4” of glass, then the 1/2 foam and another 1/2 of solid glass, it appears the transom is solid glass. Its not going to fail. The decks and house are balsa and that can have the usual issue with wet core rot. All depends upon how hardware was attached and maintained. I have repaired almost all of mine by recoring with coosa over the years. Wilber may have finished that one differently then mine finally finished by duffy. I would buy it again, even knowing the issues with recoring the balsa, its a lot of boat for its size.

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Top Bottom