Willis, Osmond, Calvin, etc...???

I know nothing about downeast boats except that I have a growing, unexplainable attraction to the design. I want to own one in five years as a cruiser/family fishing boat. A Duffy 31? Maybe. An Eastern 31? Not much on this forum about them, but they look like a well built factory boat. Morgan Bay? Just saw a beauty 38 on their website. Could probably never afford it, but wow!

So as I start to read, and gain a little bit of internet knowledge, I am trying to find the story of the Beal designs without success. Can anyone point me to a resource that could give me the story of the Beals, their different designs, etc.?

Thanks

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Maine Lobsterboats: Virginia Thorndike: 9780892724031: Amazon.com: Books

provides an excellent explanation of skeg vs. built down, with some great stories, first-hand knowledge and experience added. Book is 15 years old at this point so some of the newer models are not covered (Wesmac was brand new, though some great insight is provided regarding the formative years of the company) and also it only focuses on Maine so JC is not mentioned even once, even though Royal Lowell drew the boat. All in all a great read.

Muscie

Commander
Boat Make
36 Flowers finished by Cape Island, 2014 ; 645 QSM11
yeas any easy read, pretty good historical info. but a bit dated now.

Tumblehome

Lieutenant Commander
I know nothing about downeast boats except that I have a growing, unexplainable attraction to the design. I want to own one in five years as a cruiser/family fishing boat. A Duffy 31? Maybe. An Eastern 31? Not much on this forum about them, but they look like a well built factory boat. Morgan Bay? Just saw a beauty 38 on their website. Could probably never afford it, but wow!

So as I start to read, and gain a little bit of internet knowledge, I am trying to find the story of the Beal designs without success. Can anyone point me to a resource that could give me the story of the Beals, their different designs, etc.?

Thanks

Here is a quick semi-accurate overview on the Beal designs:

Calvin designed boats that could be simply a "Calvin Beal", or built under some of the following names: Crowley Beal, Mitchell Cove, South Shore, or SW Boatworks. I'm sure I have forgotten one or more.

Willis Beal designs are generally RP's. Like the RP 31, 35, and 40.

Osmond Beal designs are generally built by H&H, from 29-47'.

Once you have this sorted out, you can broaden your DE boat design heavy hitters by checking out hulls designed by Spencer Lincoln (Duffy/Atlantic Boat, BHM, and others), and Ernest Libby Jr. (Young Bros., Libby, and SW Boatworks).

Sort that out, then move onto some more modern designs, such as Wesmac and Flowers. This list is not meant to be comprehensive, but a starting point.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

longislander89

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 seacraft
So are all of the Beals related? Beals island, is that the family island?

Do calvin, Osmand, crowley, and Willis all come from beal's island? Are all of the boats built on beal's island? What characterizes a beal's island boat?.

These guys are like down east royalty. Very intersting. I would really like to see a family tree over laid on a evolution tree of their boat designs.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
So are all of the Beals related? Beals island, is that the family island?

Do calvin, Osmand, crowley, and Willis all come from beal's island? Are all of the boats built on beal's island? What characterizes a beal's island boat?.

These guys are like down east royalty. Very intersting. I would really like to see a family tree over laid on a evolution tree of their boat designs.
No.......No........and No......Wayne and Calvin are brothers but Jim Beal has no relation

Top Bottom